Honda Car Info

R Q

I have an '04 Accord that I picked up for my 83 year old father to run around in. It has sat for 8 years and supposedly needed an "oxygen sensor" because the CEL came on but the source for that is unreliable. Battery was dead and I just replaced it so no codes are showing yet but the "Maintenance Required" light is on and the radio has "CODE" on it so I'm guessing...heck I'm not even guessing. WTF? I read through the owners manual and nothing about that issue is said. I can't get the radio to play so is "CODE" overriding it?
It does run pretty well but tires are so bad I've not gone down the street yet. AC blows hot but again, I may just be able to put some R22 in it and it'll be good.
I'll search and Youtube on all of this but y'all are usually better than those! lol
And the Gear selector shifter is stuck in P so I used the bypass to get it to move so from what I've researched so far there's a couple of things that could cause that. I haven't been able to do anymore on that yet either.
Any general info or sites is appreciated.

@RHSCTJ is the Honda man and runs the shop at a Honda only mechanic in Rock Hill

The radio has to have a security code. Because the battery was dead for so long, it's it theft mode. I believe my Hondas had the code in the owner's manual, but that could have just been a nice previous owner leaving it. Might have to call Honda with the vin.

When the battery has been disconnected for a certain period the radio locks you out and you have to put a code in it to unlock it. My code was on a card in the glove box. Not sure how you obtain the code if you don't have it. Maybe dealership can tell you based off the vin?

@R Q for the radio code, turn the radio off, hold 1 and 6 (radio preset buttons) and turn the radio on. It should give you an 8 digit serial number that you can use to get the code.
Check and see if the brake lights are working. Could be a bad brake swicth not letting you shift out of park.

open the glove box and look for a white decal anywhere stuck inside or possible to the sides. Dealer prep sometimes pdi guys would stick these there with radio codes. should be a 5 digit

@R Q for the radio code, turn the radio off, hold 1 and 6 (radio preset buttons) and turn the radio on. It should give you an 8 digit serial number that you can use to get the code.
Check and see if the brake lights are working. Could be a bad brake swicth not letting you shift out of park.
Thanks, will do tomorrow.

You nailed it! Bad brake light switch, now I have to get a new brake light bumper! It's missing so will pick it up tomorrow. I saw the remnants of the old one in the floor but didnt know what it was. lol. I got the radio working, there was the serial number in the dash and I went to 'My Garage" and got the code.
A good change of fluids, some fresh tires, and a couple more odds and ends and I think this little free car is gonna work out alright! Paint sucks so bad on the decks that the oxidation is holding the compound that I was using so I got some better product and its at least clearing the haze some.
Thanks for the help ya'll and I may be back with more Q's before it's all over.

The heat shield on the catalytic converter has rusted some and rattled apart so I pulled it off. The Cat is fine and the car runs fine so that part is okay. For now I told dad to just not park in dry grass or leaves and of course he doesn't anyway but will the loss of the heat shields create an issue towards the floor of the car or anything else? There is still an extra shield between it and the floor that runs along what would be the trans tunnel. The bolts are all rusted so to replace it I'll have to cut them and replace the entire cat. He's fine with driving it as is and I am too, just want to make sure we don't cause any issues with he floor of the car or possibly start a fire. He has only put 500 miles on it in 4 months.

The heat shield on the catalytic converter has rusted some and rattled apart so I pulled it off. The Cat is fine and the car runs fine so that part is okay. For now I told dad to just not park in dry grass or leaves and of course he doesn't anyway but will the loss of the heat shields create an issue towards the floor of the car or anything else? There is still an extra shield between it and the floor that runs along what would be the trans tunnel. The bolts are all rusted so to replace it I'll have to cut them and replace the entire cat. He's fine with driving it as is and I am too, just want to make sure we don't cause any issues with he floor of the car or possibly start a fire. He has only put 500 miles on it in 4 months.
I wouldn't worry about it. I see them missing pretty regularly.

@R Q not sure they'll fit, but I'm pretty sure I have the shields that came off my '95 Accord that you're welcome to weld on!

Back