Dana 60 front spring under axle.

csudman

This is cburgins rig. Working on stupid low. So we want to go SUA in the front. We've found some threads using a dodge 60. But no one has cut a chevy 60. I've highlighted what we want to cut. A new spring perch would be welded in there, so that would strengthen it. Also thought about making a bolt/weld on mini upper truss off of the factory perch and stud holes that would be welded to the tubing to the left.

Thoughts? Will it kill him?
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v438_csudman_Chad_spring_mount.jpg

4aeb4408-14ea-8212.jpg

This is the goal.
4aeb4408-1501-8846.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Do it!!!!!! I wanted to do this so bad. I think it would be great. And of course, the bottom of the leaf spring won't be as low as the bottom of the housing... so run it!

I would LOVE to see this.

Thanks for posting cj. I want to do this. We are just questioning housing strength when we cut the casting out. Also, welding the perch to the cast housing!!!

A spring perch will help disperse the load to the rest of the diff, and I would probably pre-heat the diff with a torch and just MIG the perch on. Or use a nickel stick rod, if you're decent at stick welding. I've seen plenty of cast steering knuckles being reinforced with mild steel plate using a MIG; they work just fine.

couple questions, few suggestions. First I can't tell from the pics of the Jeep if the springs have already been outboarded from the frame. If not I'd see if this is an option to gain the required width and leave the pumkin alone. Out boarded springs look like alot of work but they really aren't bad. Plus you can talor the ride height out without playing with extra stiff leaves. On the spring packs I've seen where stock wrangler springs were to soft and allowed alot of spring wrap, add a Rancho single add-a-leaf and the problem is mostly solve cheaply without crazy unforgiving ladder bar type add ons. Out boarded spring really help in the body roll department too.

If you do decide to cut the pumkin. i would modify the spring perch by notching as much of the side where the rib is so a minimal amount of material is removed from the housing rather than plaining off the whole thing as pictured. Just enough so it doesn't protrude through the perch and allows room to clamp the leaf pack.

I'd Leaving consider building a U-bolt elininator to clamp the pack made like a channel with wings for bolts. The machined top is going to require a plate with matching bolt holes for that route.
(NOT SO SURE THIS INTERNET BRAIN FART WILL WORK)

When you gusset the housing I'd make the gusset extend farther along the tube and climb the profile of the housing at least 3/4 of the way to the peak. I'd also construct it out of no thinner than 1/2 stock and bevel the joint 1/3 of each side.
The original rib braces the housing in tension the new rib will resist compression so I'd spread that load out as much as possible. Plus notching the top as you have pictured will take out all of the added pieces ability to resist that load.
As for welding, all of the Dana housings I've welded on required Nickle cast iron proceedures. Only one GM corperate axle have I ever welded worked on mig. Use Nickle 55, it is specificly made to weld cast and mild steel to each other. The rod holder comes with some good procedures on them. Preheat is not required with small interupted beads with peening between passes but a temp of around 450-600 degress doesn't hurt and will insure no moisture is present in the cast and that the weld flows out more uniformly.

If you really are stuck on mig before you ever start cut a test piece of 1/4 steel as long as the rib you intend to cut on since is going to get the knife. Preheat the rib to around 450 and fillet weld the 1/4 to the top of it with a 1/4 straight pass. Let the whole thing sit and air cool only. Now get the BFH out and fold the ear over. If it holds until folded to a 90 degree or so MIG it, If not use the Nickle. If it cracks at all down in the cast below the weld still use the Nickle because that is a result of weld embritlement. And cheap Hardware Nickle rods are a WASTES of money. YOU MUST PREHEAT WITH MIG.

Good luck and throw us up some results pics.:driver:

^^^ thats what I was about to say.

Just kidding. I dont know crap, but I do know that Drew(warriorwelding) knows what he's talking about.

I would not cut the housing, just build the spring perch under that side of the housing. Just heat up the housing with a torch and then weld on your custom spring perch or if you are a good welder you will know how to disperse the heat more to the housing and less on the perch.

danaweldinggussetexample.jpg
This is a eight lug dana 44 with gussets added to the pumkin. These were done by me a few years back. The tube had been broke loose from the housing and the housing was sprung allowing the tube to move around. The owner could not source another axle and I was already correcting alot of other issues. I welded the inside and outside using the Nickle rod. The bracing was 1/2 stock. This vehicle has been a daily driver/mild wheeler since then. No fatigue has shown up anywhere with the welds or housing.
As for your spring perch and design I've still been rolling ideas through my head and nothing seems like a perfect solution yet if outboarding the leaves aren't do able. I have made perches with the spring center lined up with the edge of the housing. The perch was notched with two different radius to make up for the housing thickness and smaller tube diameter.
On another note I was wandering with the sprung under housing how much room is left for up travel on the undercarage stuff like frame and engine?
I would out board the springs and reverse the shackle. The front frame mount would be incorperated in a slick front bumper that frenches them in on the bottom. This would serve as a skid and really clean up the front. By working it into the front as a bumper you could then slide the front axle forward an gain some wheelbase and maybe needed undercarage clearances.

The front axles is going foward about 5". We are still trying to figure this out as well. We have some perch ideas and it does include some outboarding. This way there would only be 1 or 2 welds to the cast center

where bout from statesville are you guys, I run through that are alot and would love to meet some new faces? Is the jeep going to be road/street or all off highway. I like seeing different stuff being built.

The jeep is at my house, I'm about 5 min off of I-40. We work on it most evenings. We'll be on it tonight I think. PM me for directions.

From our coverstations, this will be 95% offroad. But, he wants to be able to hop in it in the summer and go to the store, etc...

If you outboarded them enough, you could go Spring over and just move the leaves up.

Move the spring outboard too much, and the tire will likely contact the leafs before full steering lock reducing your useable steering angle and increasing your turning radius.

How about narrowing it so you can use the axle tube for the perch(es). You could always cut into the center section a little to expose more useable axle tube. That would keep narrowing to a minimum.

That is what I did for my Chevy 60 for my MJ. Worked well, if ya want it narrowed a bit. Narrowed front would match nicely with a C and C 14 Bolt rear.

That's not really an option.

1. Wider is better.
2. cburgin is a cheap bastered.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old thread I know, did this ever take place? How did it work out if so? I am starting a YJ and was thinking about going spring under to keep it really low. Either that or just using stock YJ springs spring over. I could use any input you are willing to share, thanks.

There's a sua yj that's on one tons on here somewhere.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

This one ended up SOA in the front and SUA in the rear. I can't remember the specifics of it but something about no up travel with the SUA in the front with clearance for the steering. Csudman will hopefully chime in or Cburgin with better details.

Yeah, I can imagine the spring under causing clearance on the up travel. Hopefully spring over on stock YJs will work out OK. I might just move the hangers back for the stretch and use stock springs instead of XJs or something.

Back