Ozark Yeti knock-off

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
I have nothing new to add to the numerous reviews out there...other than my silly commentary. Just enough to create a 5 minute distraction from doing "actual work" today :D

This is a review of my recent purchase: Ozark Trail tumbler from Walmart (Fake Yeti….or FETI)

I’m no fanboy. I never had a “Salt Life” sticker, or bought into the whole “Tapout”, and I DON’T believe a lifted truck should be drive WITHOUT the rear portion of the lift installed. But I DO believe if a product works, and is WORTH it then I will invest.

However, I was around and even old enough to be a gearhead when the fiero debuted. If you were too you understand where I’m going with this.
Rarely do I rush out and buy the latest and greatest dinglehopper as soon as it hits the store shelf. There’s always a guinea pig time frame where the bugs of anything new are worked out (see Fiero, Remington R51, Suzuki TLS, the democratic party…..still working on major bugs there) but aside from the guinea pig era, there’s also the “copying is the greatest form of flattery” that comes along after a great invention. Typically China is the first to go after a new product, duplicate it for 1/100th the price and sell it for ½. MOST of the time it’s utter crap and not worth the investment. But after reading multiple reviews, I decided to take a plunge myself. And all I have to say is; this time, I think they hit a home run!

The boy and I ran by wallyworld yesterday after lunch and snatched up 3 of these as well as a beer-titty for less than what one Yeti would cost. I got 3 because I wanted one for water, and one for coffee. And of course I wanted the boy to have one too. And the beer-titty? Well, why not?
The boy went home and immediately washed his and loaded I up with ice around 2. He STILL had ice around 9 last night, so I was excited for my test today.
I brewed coffee at 5:45 and headed out around 6:20, pouring my FETI with dark gold and creamer (like my women, blonde and with a kick). Typically I fill a shelf-quality coffee container and rarely is my coffee still warm enough to enjoy by the time I get to the office around 6:45. But today? My coffee was actually too HOT to drink until I was at the office a good 30 minutes. It’s as if my coffee actually GAINED temperature after I put it in the tumbler.
I carefully sipped my dark nectar for the next 2 hours. All the while maintaining a relatively consistent temperature of “molten lava”
I’m impressed. As I write this (9:12am) I am finishing off the last of my coffee, and it’s every bit as hot as the first sip usually is from a standard tumbler at 6:25 in the car. Now it’s time to switch to water and see how long this ice lasts me that I filled up a 6:00 am!

OH...and FETI came from my Son's girlfriend giving him crap about having a Fake Yeti but hey it works! :rockon:

20160808_082131.jpg

Is there anything like these in a water bottle format?
E.g. screw-down lid w/ a pop top or pop open valve? I'd think that for cycling, running etc that would be a bonus. Downside being that they're going to be heavy due to double-wall construction.

I'm assuming all the magic comes form making it as 2 layers w/ a vacuum between them instead of your typical insulation.

Not that I saw on the shelf. That WOULD be pretty awesome

***UPDATE***
The boy just txt me and said he STILL had ice from yesterday (9:39am)

I wanted to get the Ozark Trail one but none of the Walmarts I went to had them in stock. I opted instead for the RTIC version which is also another one that is just like the yeti but for half the price of the yeti. RTIC has a sale right now on the screw lid 18oz water bottles for $9.99. They do free shipping over $19 so if you get two you are still cheaper than the yeti water bottles.

Here's my question with these. I fully understand the usefulness of a cooler that holds ice for an extended period of time, or can keep stuff insulated/warm for a while...but why a drink? I don't need a beer to stay cold for longer than about 10 minutes. It's tough to drink a pot of coffee by lunch if you can't drink it until then. Water, I generally slam a cup/bottle or two in the gym/garage...if I'm out hiking or something, not sure these things would be all that useful.

I've got one, slapped a KTM sticker on it and nobody knows the difference. Grabbed a few for people at work that wanted them but couldn't find them.

Ever made coffee and got distracted or busy with something else only to come back to a cold drink, or been working in a 90+* warehouse and have your drink get to that temp before you're finished with your project. Its a first world problem but damnit the FETI is handy.

I opted instead for the RTIC version

I saw that on FB too. Had the wallyworld we stopped at not had them I would have gone that route as well

Here's my question with these. I fully understand the usefulness of a cooler that holds ice for an extended period of time, or can keep stuff insulated/warm for a while...but why a drink? I don't need a beer to stay cold for longer than about 10 minutes.

Right there with you. Or...WAS until I was told I had to drink more water and less "drinks". Can't nurse a drink, or beer, or anything more than a few minutes. It MUST be eliminated! It's like a friggin challenge or something. But Water is different.

I HATE water! And can only tolerate it if it's COLD. I try and drink water all day but inevitably it sits here in my cup and gets warm (Even though I have a water cooler here at the office) but a co-worker got a yeti and he sips ice water all day.
I thought "for $9 I'll give it a shot"

Then thought "For $9 more I'll KEEP my coffee hot and not have to pitch it because it cooled off"

No big loss either way really.

Picked a few of these up a couple years ago while working in Hawaii. They were around $20 and they work great. I carry one to work every day with ice water and refill with water throughout the day and it always has some ice left the next morning.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cyd uses the Yeti mug like the OP. It's fine, but the lid doesn't have a way to plug the hole, so it's fawkall useless to me.

but the lid doesn't have a way to plug the hole, so it's fawkall useless to me.

My teenage daughter has to drink from a sippie cut when we go out to dinner as well (she spills everything too) :p

If anybody is looking for some around the lincolnton/cherryville area the cherryville walmart has probably about 100 of them still.

Here's my question with these. I fully understand the usefulness of a cooler that holds ice for an extended period of time, or can keep stuff insulated/warm for a while...but why a drink? I don't need a beer to stay cold for longer than about 10 minutes. It's tough to drink a pot of coffee by lunch if you can't drink it until then. Water, I generally slam a cup/bottle or two in the gym/garage...if I'm out hiking or something, not sure these things would be all that useful.

I use mine for iced drinks. It's great because your drink doesn't get watered down nearly as fast. Have a true Yeti and a couple Fetis, work just as good.

There was another thread on here about this where I included details. We had our daughter do a home-school science experiment. The wally world version kept ice longer than the Yeti. We did not experiment with hot coffee, but we may. We love ours. The Yeti's were gifts. The Ozark cup we paid for. I've thought about getting the RTIC because of the lid.

E.g. screw-down lid w/ a pop top or pop open valve? I'd think that for cycling, running etc that would be a bonus. Downside being that they're going to be heavy due to double-wall construction.

I'm assuming all the magic comes form making it as 2 layers w/ a vacuum between them instead of your typical insulation.

My wife picked up a two pack of Takeya 40oz double wall insulated bottles at Costco. $34 apiece on Amazon, and I think she got them for like $32 for the pair. Not as cheap as the Ozarks, but fairly decent price I suppose.

Screw on lid with screw on cap as well. A bit heavy to run with though I would imagine. Seems to keep the ice pretty well. I just like the fact that it doesn't sweat all over the place.

awww.sunvisstore.co.uk_ekmps_shops_sunvisstore_images_takeya_tbb1b1c43721996da464c88b279241d39.jpg

This test needs to be taken out side!!!! When it's 90°+ how well do these perform?
I've taken mine wheeling in the center cup holders of the LJ. There's a lot of heat coming up through the floor, no doors or windows. Last trip still had ice when I got home around 3:00 pm, left at 8:00 am. The other thread somebody talked about theirs riding around on a forklift all say and still having ice.

My wife picked up a two pack of Takeya 40oz double wall insulated bottles at Costco. $34 apiece on Amazon, and I think she got them for like $32 for the pair. Not as cheap as the Ozarks, but fairly decent price I suppose.

Screw on lid with screw on cap as well. A bit heavy to run with though I would imagine. Seems to keep the ice pretty well. I just like the fact that it doesn't sweat all over the place.

View attachment 225468

This looks pretty cool!...fill it a 1/4 way with ice and the rest of the way with water, set out side for at least 8 hours and report back your findings.

Picked a few of these up a couple years ago while working in Hawaii. They were around $20 and they work great. I carry one to work every day with ice water and refill with water throughout the day and it always has some ice left the next morning. View attachment 225456 View attachment 225455
that looks about perfect.

But can you get ice into the tops? I have a couple AL water bottles like this I love b/c they are super lightweight, but the top is too narrow to put ice into unless you crush it - then it thaws faster.

Note - the size and shape of your ice makes a big difference on how quickly it melts.
I wan ta water bottle I can put whisky balls into!

Yes ice will fit without being crushed. The small mouth which is what I have fits ice maker ice fine. The larger mouth will probably fit whiskey balls but not sure.

If you want something to keep coffee warm/hot get the newer stanley coffee container. I left it on my desk when I left to go look at a job at 730 poured it out at 5:00 that night and it was still steaming hot. Has a push button to open it to drink

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do they have a big gay sticker I can put on my truck beside my Costa and Salt Life? I only want it if I can let the world know I have it.

I'll gladly lend you the sharpie I used to write "FETI" on your tailgate

Back