Camping Cape Lookout NC

I have been wanting to check both of these places out could I get around ok out there with my tundra on 33 duratrac and a truck camper in the back ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20160630_161059.jpg
20160630_191850.jpg
20160701_193742.jpg
20160702_132406.jpg
IMG_20160701_073758.jpg
IMG_20160702_202911.jpg
IMG_20160701_074352.jpg
IMG_20160701_142119.jpg
just got back....trip was awesome

South Core OBX is amazing! We go every year! Preimitive camping but it’s a short ride to bath houses! They also have cabins for generators! Davis Shore Ferry service have been awesome for us, 4 years and counting! We go in October, and wherever you camp, you can’t visualize anyone else! Deep sand make for great wheelin if you get bored on the beach. Lighthouse is great, and they have historical navy boathouses to check out. We’re actually thinking of bringing the quad and side by side this year! Bring lots of coolers, and the ferry service will bring you ice/bait daily if you need it and just add it to your tab that you pay when you get back to Davis! We highly recommend this spot, it’s paradise, even in October!

old posts but bringing it back to the top- Cape Lookout is on my lift of places to visit, and hopefully revisit year after year. Sounds like it can be windy at times obviously due to the location right on the water. Do you think i would have any issues with a Roof top tent? I was planning on bring my overland trailer with RTT on top. Or should i stick to a ground tent?

looks like the best time to visit is probably October? decent weather and no bugs (hopefully)

thanks for any feedback.

old posts but bringing it back to the top- Cape Lookout is on my lift of places to visit, and hopefully revisit year after year. Sounds like it can be windy at times obviously due to the location right on the water. Do you think i would have any issues with a Roof top tent? I was planning on bring my overland trailer with RTT on top. Or should i stick to a ground tent?

looks like the best time to visit is probably October? decent weather and no bugs (hopefully)

thanks for any feedback.

See 2 posts up.

I've been doing the roof top tent for about 4 years out there. If the wind is strong, keep your rain fly closed and you're good.

October will treat you well, sand fleas get bad, but the roof top tent fixes that.

Portsmouth Island got kinda rocked by Dorian. You'll want to call the ferry companies and ask what conditions are like before arranging a trip out there.

The washouts are from portsmouth, but looking at google maps, it looks like portsmouth island has been cut up a few times recently.

I've taken the ferry from Morris Marina over to the Long Point Cabin Camp (bottom of the below pic) and driven all the way up the 22.5mi beach, across the brackish water, to historic portsmouth. The whole thing has been part of the cape lookout national seashore for as long as I've known.

4 years ago a storm cut the north end of the island off from the rest of it, meaning to get to historic portsmouth, you could only go during low tide. Based on this, you can't get there at all anymore by car. Basically the bits circled red used to be one island if I'm understanding this correctly.

upload_2019-9-16_14-13-34.png

Back