Monster Energy NASCAR series???

Pure electrics. They can race 100 miles then take a 6 hour break to recharge.

OOOooohhhhhh Nnnnoooooooo....a 6 hour commercial break!:eek:

Formula E. They switch cars in the middle of the race because they can't cover the entire race distance.

Instead of 4 tires and gas...:lol:

Instead of 4 tires and gas...:lol:

That's a good point. They use a treaded race tire instead of a slick, so they don't even need to change tires when it rains. They only get 4 fronts and 4 rears per race weekend, so one full set per car. The tires don't really wear that badly, because that would be wasteful and un-friendly to the environment. But, at least they're all going slow and saving energy.. ;)

They should put proper tires on one of the cars just to cause chaos and start lapping the field. Probably start breaking suspension links though, because I'm sure they weren't designed for the wheel Mx (overturning moment) and Fy loads that a slick can provide.

Something I've never figured out is how with all the weight shaving ideas, and scraping every last horsepower out of the motor, they still can't figure out a way to put a light weight gas gauge in the car. More races have been lost due to the leader running out of fuel on the last lap than have ever been lost due to driver skill. I stopped caring years ago.

Something I've never figured out is how with all the weight shaving ideas, and scraping every last horsepower out of the motor, they still can't figure out a way to put a light weight gas gauge in the car. More races have been lost due to the leader running out of fuel on the last lap than have ever been lost due to driver skill. I stopped caring years ago.

They cant because the rules strictly prohibit a gas guage

There is nothing stock about a stock car. I guess the lack of a fuel gauge proves that, LOL. Dumb rule.

I'm going to put him in the wall!

same reason speedometers are banned...makes it more driver...in theory

Fuel is figured out by calculation and simulation to get every last drop depending on strategy. Doesn't always work that way because of lack of data logging and telemetry.

right...but with the cells they use I could use an impedence probe and tell you to within an ounce how much fuel is in it on a guage or digi output if it was allowed.

Fuel is figured out by calculation and simulation to get every last drop depending on strategy. Doesn't always work that way because of lack of data logging and telemetry.

Unfortunately, Only thing we had was fuel pressure gauges and warning lights. When the gauge/lights flicker...better get on pit road!

Prius would only one gauge. Volt gauge!

Being that I'm still addicted to NASCAR, I've been getting my Juice on the Daytona start. We know they changed some rules & points to get more excitement back. IT's Working! First was the dual qualifiers. The first one Was exciting, but as in the past the second qualifier was boring. Then I watched the ARCA race. They usually have some rookie wrecks, & This one didn't disappoint! Tonight I watched the Truck Race. HOLY SH t! It was Crazy! Racing/wrecking didn't get the first lap in, before a big wreck. And with the Top drivers now limited, more rookie & mid class drivers are in trucks. The Point system has Brought Racing to This class. And I do think the Trucks, are running too "out of control", at Daytona. I predict a bigger spoiler coming.
There were several wrecks, but the Last one, you Gotta See. Somebody got turned, which clipped Matt Crafton, turning him. As the rest of the pack is crashing in, Crafton is hit in the side, lifting him Airborn! He does a 360% flip, & partly lands on the side of another car, then setting back on his tires, & getting hit 2 - 3 more times. The Multiple cameras & angles of it, look just like a Movie computerization. Just doesn't even look real! No one is injured, thank God, but it gives the Win to an 18yo Polish Rookie, his First time ever at Daytona! Holy Cow, you Can't Script This!!!!!!!! Can't wait til Saturday's race, & the Sunday, THE 500! :driver:

I was talking with an engineer tonight at work. He races dirt track for fun. He actually won a race last year and got $200 for it. He runs in a stock class, so he has a '91 Camaro. He said they changed rules this year and he had to swap out his manual transmission for an automatic!

Being that I'm still addicted to NASCAR, I've been getting my Juice on the Daytona start. We know they changed some rules & points to get more excitement back. IT's Working! First was the dual qualifiers. The first one Was exciting, but as in the past the second qualifier was boring. Then I watched the ARCA race. They usually have some rookie wrecks, & This one didn't disappoint! Tonight I watched the Truck Race. HOLY SH t! It was Crazy! Racing/wrecking didn't get the first lap in, before a big wreck. And with the Top drivers now limited, more rookie & mid class drivers are in trucks. The Point system has Brought Racing to This class. And I do think the Trucks, are running too "out of control", at Daytona. I predict a bigger spoiler coming.
There were several wrecks, but the Last one, you Gotta See. Somebody got turned, which clipped Matt Crafton, turning him. As the rest of the pack is crashing in, Crafton is hit in the side, lifting him Airborn! He does a 360% flip, & partly lands on the side of another car, then setting back on his tires, & getting hit 2 - 3 more times. The Multiple cameras & angles of it, look just like a Movie computerization. Just doesn't even look real! No one is injured, thank God, but it gives the Win to an 18yo Polish Rookie, his First time ever at Daytona! Holy Cow, you Can't Script This!!!!!!!! Can't wait til Saturday's race, & the Sunday, THE 500! :driver:
Since we all like pics and vids:

I was talking with an engineer tonight at work. He races dirt track for fun. He actually won a race last year and got $200 for it. He runs in a stock class, so he has a '91 Camaro. He said they changed rules this year and he had to swap out his manual transmission for an automatic!

I think I'd want the new GM 10 speed automatic in a race car. My brother got to test drive one (he's an engineer geek at GM) and he said it was ALWAYS in the powerband. It's as close to a true Variable Speed Transmission as you will get and still have reliability for stronger motors.

But to reference your friend's win..... I'd be a little pissed to have to change out a transmission just to continue to qualify for a race series that only paid out $200 for a win. Can't even get a junkyard transmission for that.

Last edited:
I think I'd want the new GM 10 speed automatic in a race car. My brother got to test drive one (he's an engineer geek at GM) and he said it was ALWAYS in the powerband. It's as close to a true Variable Speed Transmission as you will get and still have reliability for stronger motors.

But to reference your friend's win..... I'd be a little pissed to have to change out a transmission just to continue to qualify for a race series that only paid out $200 for a win. Can't even get a junkyard transmission for that.

You don't need a 10 speed though. Unless you're road racing, you don't have anywhere close to the range of speed that would make that necessary or a benefit. Plus, a 10 speed automatic is going to be excessively large, or not that strong. You can't make a trans with 10 speeds worth of strong gearing without some big compromises. 10 speeds are made specifically for fuel economy, so you can stay in the best range of efficiency for as long as possible. There's not really much need to do that in a race car, as your operating range is completely different.

He does it as a hobby, just like most all of us off-road for a hobby. He'd do it if there was no prize money.

You don't need a 10 speed though. Unless you're road racing, you don't have anywhere close to the range of speed that would make that necessary or a benefit. Plus, a 10 speed automatic is going to be excessively large, or not that strong. You can't make a trans with 10 speeds worth of strong gearing without some big compromises. 10 speeds are made specifically for fuel economy, so you can stay in the best range of efficiency for as long as possible. There's not really much need to do that in a race car, as your operating range is completely different.

I'm no engineer (and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either), so I can't really speak intelligently on the matter, but his explanation when I asked him almost the exact same thing was that because there is a smaller period of time between shifts, that there is significantly less heat built up in the transmission pump system, and therefore allows it to last longer. It is a bigger unit, but not double the size. Also, If I recall correctly from the conversation, two overdrive gears instead of one. Not sure how that helps with size, or just in better - more spread out - gear selection. Again... I'm not an engineer, just a gear-head who gets in over his head quickly when talking technical stuff.

I'm no engineer (and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night either), so I can't really speak intelligently on the matter, but his explanation when I asked him almost the exact same thing was that because there is a smaller period of time between shifts, that there is significantly less heat built up in the transmission pump system, and therefore allows it to last longer. It is a bigger unit, but not double the size. Also, If I recall correctly from the conversation, two overdrive gears instead of one. Not sure how that helps with size, or just in better - more spread out - gear selection. Again... I'm not an engineer, just a gear-head who gets in over his head quickly when talking technical stuff.
I question how many of those "speeds" ate true gear sets? Many of the automatics today use torque converter lockup and clutch packs to create a new "gear".

I feel like there is a contest on who can make the next transmission with more "speeds" since obviously that means it's better.

Not saying its not better, but i think marketing and perception drive too much engineering work these days.

Tons of equipment torn up in the Truck and Xfinity races so far this weekend. Multiple red flags, and generally boring racing like normal until someone would make a push and shit hit the fan almost simultaneously with this new aero package.

Wonder how some team owners feel about putting their money in a dumpster fire?

IMG_8872.PNG

I kinda lost interest in racing when I quit working on the cars.
I lived and breathed racing for 10+ years.
Best thing I ever saw was at Atlanta ... Saturday Morning "happy hour" for the (still) Cup drivers before the Busch GN race.
I watched from our pit on pitroad as the young lions (Kenny Wallace, The Burton Bros, etc- yes a long time ago) came off of turn 4 and eased up to the wall.
Dave Marcus (the best driver to never win) and the Cup guys came off of 4 and went straight to the wall ....190 mph 1" away from the concrete.
Shrader and Earnhardt (Sr. , the one that could drive) looked like a couple of kids on go-carts .... bump drafting, swapping places and in general screwing around at 200 mph.
In the Bucsh Race, Harry gant went from 25th to 4th in 1 freakin' lap.

The death of NASCAR wasn't Senior ..... but it did hurt ..... the "Car of Tomorrow ... morrow ...orrow" and whatever they call the "finals" now killed it for me.

It would be easy to make it good again ..... real stock bodies, 6" frame height, and 7" tires ..... no engine rules other than displacement. I guarantee they'll slow down and learn to drive.

Matt - I don't even know who won the chumpionship.

Back