2000 Grand Cherokee Driveshaft

YJJPWrangler

Getting ready to sell the wifes old 2000 Grand Cherokee with the 4.7. I need to replace the front driveshaft as I'm pretty sure the CVs are bad. It has the double CV Joint driveshaft. Anybody rebuilt these before? Tips and tricks? I haven't pulled it apart yet, could it just need new grease? Anybody got a link to a rebuild kit for both ends?

This it what it looks like.

I don't know of any shop that rebuilds those. Even when the joint on the case ends wears, worse I have seen is some chirping at low speeds.
May wanna call up some local salvage yards and see what they have available.
www.car-part.com

Pump it full of some high$ grease and roll with it and let the new owner deal with it. :D

The potential new owner is a good friend of mine and a member on here....:lol:

I think I'm going to try and pull it apart to see if it needs grease. If its packed full, I know its bad. If its not, I'll add to it and drive it some before selling.

Is the boot broken on the t-case side?

The boot is in perfect condition. No rips or tears or anything. We removed the DS a long time ago as I noticed a grinding noise when driving. It happened after we got back from the beach/driving on the beach. I didn't have time to look at it and the wife took it to a shop. They said either transfer case or front axle. I got the bright idea to remove the DS and the grinding went away

After looking at it some more, I think it just needs to be regreased.

Transfer case is fine. No slop in the front yoke and this Jeep has all time 4wd so if the problem was the transfer case than it would still be making the noise. My local Advance cant get these parts in stock and apparently most people don't realize you can rebuild these. Im going to see if I can inspect it tomorrow after work.

May be off here but I thought the "awd" t case had a viscous coupler and if you remove one driveshaft from the equation it can cause the VC to burn up?

May be off here but I thought the "awd" t case had a viscous coupler and if you remove one driveshaft from the equation it can cause the VC to burn up?

I don't know if it does have a viscous coupler or not. Before I pulled it, I read a lot of forums etc. Also had a buddy have the same issue and he did the same thing and he didn't have a problem with it. Jeep still runs/drives fine today. Now I have heard that you can swap transfer cases and go to a traditional style front driveshaft. My buddy did this and no more problems, however the exact transfer case is hard to find

I have that front DC out now. If you can source a yoke for your case it's available. That is a nice link you posted there too and good info.

Transfer case is fine. No slop in the front yoke and this Jeep has all time 4wd so if the problem was the transfer case than it would still be making the noise. My local Advance cant get these parts in stock and apparently most people don't realize you can rebuild these. Im going to see if I can inspect it tomorrow after work.

Is it a quadratrac 2 or a selecttrac? If it is a QD2 and you have driven it without the front shaft you have burnt up the transfer case coupler.

I have that front DC out now. If you can source a yoke for your case it's available. That is a nice link you posted there too and good info.

What transfer case do you have? Im thinking about swapping it out.

Is it a quadratrac 2 or a selecttrac? If it is a QD2 and you have driven it without the front shaft you have burnt up the transfer case coupler.

Unfortunately, I believe I have a QD2. However, I do remember reading that pulling the front DS would not damage the case. I'm assuming I can check this by bolting up the DS and seeing what it does?

What transfer case do you have? Im thinking about swapping it out.

Unfortunately, I believe I have a QD2. However, I do remember reading that pulling the front DS would not damage the case. I'm assuming I can check this by bolting up the DS and seeing what it does?

So the ZJs had the viscous coupler in the original quadratrac. The Quadra track II uses a georotor pump and clutches. So you maybe ok.

So the ZJs had the viscous coupler in the original quadratrac. The Quadra track II uses a georotor pump and clutches. So you maybe ok.

I distinctly remember reading about this before pulling the DS and verifying with a friend that had done a transfer case swap. When we pulled the DS, there was no affect whatsoever to the driveability. The Jeep still runs and drives fine with 2wd.

I think my plan of attack will be to regrease the DS and see if that takes care of it. If not, I can rebuild both ends fairly cheaply.

Trust me you'd know if it had a VC. With the front DS pulled it would act like the trans was slipping and wouldn't stay stationary in park due to slippage of the VC (ask me how I know lol. I have had 3 ZJ and they all for the 231 swap to be done with the issue.

Is the boot broken on the t-case side?

After further examining the driveshaft today I found that the boot is indeed torn. In my picture, the top end is where it is torn and I suspect that is where the issue is. The other end of the DS is nice with no tears, rips etc and the in/out play in the shaft is smooth.

Trust me you'd know if it had a VC. With the front DS pulled it would act like the trans was slipping and wouldn't stay stationary in park due to slippage of the VC (ask me how I know lol. I have had 3 ZJ and they all for the 231 swap to be done with the issue.

Good to know! This Jeep has exhibited none of those signs at all.

Mine has a 247 in it. Quadra Drive IIRC.

Mine was a AWD zj and it ran without the front shaft with none of the above issues. Forgot which case it was.. 249 maybe? Left front shaft out after swapping bad front end out because of ring and pinion being shot and axles were different ratios. Put a 242 in it because I don't like awds.

Now I have heard that you can swap transfer cases and go to a traditional style front driveshaft. My buddy did this and no more problems, however the exact transfer case is hard to find

I bought my wifes wj cheap because the front driveshaft was absolutely shot. Couldn't find a rebuild kit (obviously my google-fu sucks) and a new driveshaft was over 300 bucks. I went to pull a parts and got a 231 out of a xj and swapped the input shaft between cases. Slapped a yoke on the front axle (from the same xj) and found a driveshaft that would work (i think it was a v8 zj). All in all I had like 200 bucks in the whole swap.

Back