Bet ya can't do this! ( not that you'd want to)

Dylan W.

lone resident of Bro-Lite Island
Forgot to latch my trailer. Drove the truck up on the ramps and the trailer lifted up and into my van doors. So Naturally I back off the ramps..but this is how the trailer stayed.
The trailer foot came to rest on the ball. I was gonna use the highlift to raise it..move van, and start over, but I was obviously in a hurry, so I hopped in the van and bumped it foward. The trailer fell right back on the ball, and off I went. Gotta couple dented doors now.
20170319_185739.jpg

Last edited:
Them oranges aren't in season. So you got bored and tried trailer Jack games.

Hate you bummed the door.

She's broke in now.

Not exactly....but I did load my mower on my big trailer and it's 1200lbs, not huge, but heavy enough to lift the tongue of the trailer up. That baffled me because I knew I had flipped the coupler and locked it. So I did it again...same results. I still had the 2" ball on it and it's a 2.3125" coupler. Whoops! Luckily, nothing was damaged.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has made this same mistake.
I did years ago. The trailer was empty though and mine came off the hitch(that wasn't latched) on I85 at 75mph. I crossed a bridge with a big bump and off came the trailer. I was so freaked out when I got it stopped (after it beat the hell out of the rear bumper) adrenaline took over, I ran back and put if back on the hitch without the jack. Under normal circumstances I could never pick up the trailer (20ft equipment 14k trailer). I still have no idea how I didn't blow my back out doing that.

I will fess up. About 12 yrs ago a friend and I were moving my old CJ5 from my parents house out to my house that I had just bought. We had my friend's truck and trailer and I drove the Jeep up on the trailer and the tongue lifted up and slammed into the licensce plate and bottom of the tail gate. I can't recall what went wrong or why it happened, but we were both in shock, and then laughed.

I've got another trailer story. About 15 yrs ago I was renting a house with another friend. We did not have garbage service at that house, so would load up the garbage on my utility trailer and take it to a dumpster. Well I hooked up the trailer to my Bronco, but then got distracted and started splitting wood or something. Later we went back to the Bronco to go to the dumpster, and I had forgotten to latch the hitch on, and also didn't have safety chains. We got about 1/2 mile from the house then the trailer came loose. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw it going off the side of the road, hit the ditch catapulting one of the trash cans into the air. The trailer continued on and hit a fence, which it destroyed. There was trash everywhere. We were laughing like hell while we cleaned everything up. I told the owner of the fence what happened, and I think it cost me like $500 to have their fence fixed.

Last edited:
@tlucier care to fess up? Ill just say I follow a good distance behind Tom when he's pulling his gooseneck.

Ok since we're airing out our trailer unhitching dumbasseries...
I flat towed my CJ to Tellico, went to unhook it at Crawfords camp. The ground was almost flat, but as I was about to find out, it pitched a little towards the tow vehicle. I was about to learn that I should put the towed vehicle in gear (y'all have probably seen similar vids on YouTube, but the internet wasn't quite mainstream yet). I was standing between the 2 vehicles, and as soon as I popped the towbar off the ball, my CJ rolled forward, pushed the towbar up the tailgate. In my haste to prevent a dent, I actually pushed the tow bar all the way up where it rebounded back down, smacked me in the head and came to rest back against the tailgate. Could have been a lot worse it, I just got lucky the ground was close to flat.
@drkelly now owns that truck...I bet the scratch is still there.

I towed my flat trailer to the scrap yard one time, got home and went to unhook and found out I towed it almost 50 miles with a 2" ball in a 2-5/16 coupler when I forgot to release the catch and just jacked it up off the ball. Good thing she has 300# tw unloaded.

My driveway is pretty steep.
Hooked the trailer up to the truck and realized my coupler pin was missing. Walked back in the garage to find a make shift pin and got sidetracked. Went back to truck with pin in my pocket pulled truck up hill and went and got in my buggy.

While loading the buggy I thought damn, the ass of this trailer is really squatting today it doesn't usually sink this much. Get the buggy balanced, get out to strap it down and... never closed the coupler. Trailer is off the ball and at the end of the safety chains. Because it was steep enough downhill the trailer never got into the tailgate, it rolled away. Getting the whole setup reconnected was much tougher.

And speaking of steep driveways, I have one too!
I backed truck/trailer up to the ECORS 666 XJ, ready to load up for race weekend. I still don't fully understand what happened, because there's no way truck and trailer would've stayed put without parking brake on, or at least being left in gear. So I start driving the 666 up the trailer, watching the LH trailer fender for reference. I'm on the trailer, still in the gas, but I don't feel like I'm moving, and the scenery off to the side isn't moving. Hit the brake, and now I realize everything is rolling backwards. Luckily I was set up as low as possible, the crash into the garage could have been a lot worse if I was higher up the driveway. The trailer jackknifed a bit and caught the side of the garage door, coming to a stop.

My grandfather had a little homebuilt enclosed trailer that he used to haul the 4-wheeler, lawnmowers, whatever in. He kept it at his cabin in the mountains and one day he was bringing it home to his house. He said he hit a big pothole and then slowed down for a turn and the trailer passed him and crashed into the ditch. Apparently the tongue had rusted out and broken off when he hit the bump, he had the tongue and safety chains attached to his hitch and the trailer just went AWOL. :lol:

My dad had a enclosed Uhaul trailer come off the ball as he was driving down I40 when he was moving to hickory. It had a latch that you twist to tighten and either he didnt get it tight enough or it came loose. Hit a bump and it jumped off the ball. Safety chains kept it attached to the truck but was fish taling the truck all over the road. He got it slowed down and off the road. To this day he says that was the scariest he has ever been driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back in late 80's I was pulling a trailer with my 82 firebird. It had a hitch but nowhere to hook the chains. I hit a railroad track a little hard and next thing you know I hear a grinding sound of tongue on pavement and it passed me and went into oncoming traffic. It stopped after 50 yards and everyone was able to avoid it.

Back