Lincoln welder thoughts!

C.Berry

Bad News
so I may have jumped the gun!? It happens but either way I stole this welder in my opinion working or not... Can't really disagree when some 1940 models still put in 12 hour days! So I picked up a Lincoln idealarc ac/dc 250 for $250 didn't have leads or way to test it... bad decision? I guess we'll see,had people in driveway to buy it tho so I jumped, I know these machines are long lasting and have good arc and adjustability but what options does this machine really havecan strike tig be nice enough quality to go that route with it or am I just gonna be stupid happy to have a badass stick welder?? Any input is welcome I've been researching and most info is on the tombstone models this one is roughly 1980ish maybe 90s I won't know till tom!

This is the 300ac 250dc unit

I had an airco idealarc that I ran for years building hydraulic & fuel tanks. If it runs as good as mine did, you will love the 7018 striking quality.

I have a scratch start tig set up left over from mine if you are interested. May have some tungsten too.

Last edited:
We got one in a booth at cvcc. All the students shun it. Its not shinny and new. So I let em get good and fustrated with new fangled tech as they learn. Then walk over crank that ol girl up and run the best open root pass verticle and over head in the room and shut em all down.

Then they ask all kinds of questions and a few fight to use it..

^ that's funny! I'd love to be in class when that goes down lol @Jeff B i may take you up on that after I get this think together and have some extra funds to spend on it!

So I just popped it open and it doesn't have the factor capacitor in it, does it need it really or should I just be happy I got this heavy ass thing? And does anyone know how to tell the year from serial number the Lincoln site shows diff codes and numbers than mine...?
IMG_0637.JPG

I didn't see ac304652 on that list it's Canadian version so it seems! I had a service bulletin up on Lincoln site for the 9645 code but it didn't have all that list did.

Back