Heim joint steering info

marty79

Hey everyone looking into buying this and just wondering if this kit is all I need to complete the tie rod...bolts? Inserts once I drill it? And this mounts on top of steering arms correct? (Never used heim stuff), thank you.
You will need to drill your arms to a 5/8" hole to use this kit. You will receive:

This kit is $95.00
Would this kit for $131.00 be a better buy?
You will receive:
1 - RH 3/4" X 3/4" Heat Treated Chromoly Heims
1 - LH 3/4" X 3/4" Heat Treated Chromoly Heims
1 - RH 3/4" X 5/8" Heat Treated Chromoly Heims
1 - LH 3/4" X 5/8" Heat Treated Chromoly Heims
Thank u for the help....

Buy a complete kit from barnes4wd go buy a couple grade 8 bolts from tractor supply and be done the kit has everything but them, I think .250 wall Dom do it once spend a little bit more and never think of it again

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I just don't know what to look for in all these parts and don't want to have to order more prices after receiving...trying to have everything I would need at the
Are you doing JUST a tie rod or a TR and also a drag link?
Well...tie rod but that second kit I listed would be enough for all of it right? Is like to do whole steering with heims since well, so far front looks to have pretty steep angle lol so I need heims I guess to mount on top of arms and than if drag link mounted on top of that I would be much better shape..that was my thought...thank you sir

Buy a complete kit from barnes4wd go buy a couple grade 8 bolts from tractor supply and be done the kit has everything but them, I think .250 wall Dom do it once spend a little bit more and never think of it again

Money is super tight right now paying debt off on new tahoe trans lol but hey, at least I'm not just saying screw it and run the crazy steep angle tie rods that are there now lol..big step up for the "fuller"..bahaha

Heavy Duty Steering Kit with 3/4" Chrome Moly Heims

Buy that kit. What you priced above doesn't include tubing that I can see.

Heavy Duty Steering Kit with 7/8" Chrome Moly Heims
I'd really suggest going with this kit if you plan on running big tires. The bigger and beefier they are the longer they will last. They are like a Tre they won't last forever

Tubing I'm buying separate..I have to get some from steel shop anyway for other stuff...
So ur saying 3/4heims not good enough for 37s or little bigger

I'd go with 7/8" because sometime or another you will hit rocks with them. Buy The whole kit. Unless your getting a serious discount for steel it will be cheaper to buy as a whole kit, and you will know you have every piece beside the bolts that you will need.

Plus you can get a discount for using the forum and free shipping and your using a local vendor

From who? That was next ? Is who on here would give best deal for that 7/8 kit

Money is super tight right now paying debt off on new tahoe trans lol but hey, at least I'm not just saying screw it and run the crazy steep angle tie rods that are there now lol..big step up for the "fuller"..bahaha
If money is tight, stop screwing around and spending time and money on hobbies. You'll be ten times better off in the long run. Ever heard of Dave Ramsey? I think you could benefit from his approach.

If money is tight, stop screwing around and spending time and money on hobbies. You'll be ten times better off in the long run. Ever heard of Dave Ramsey? I think you could benefit from his approach.
U don't know me yet?? Money is always tight but I still build and have fun..look at all I did with the yellow one! Just sayin, hobbies aren't just for the rich..just takes hard work and prioritizing...and having the "john fuller can do" attitude hehe yeiiah

Ok so I ordered 3 7/8x3/4x16 heim joints with the misalignment spacers and nuts from Barnes4WD off amazon(good deal with free shipping).
I will get the pipe locally ...for 7/8joints what size for 37-39"tire... .120 or .250wall thick?
And for bolts, was gonna get em from fastenall..grade 10 minimum? Thank u

??pipe? U talking about DOM

I wouldn't put heims on it if I could help it.

I installed a brand new set of chromoly 3/4" heims on one of the Jeeps in August. By December, they'd all spit out the nylon.

I'm going to buy FKs QA1s?? FK JMX12T this time and see if that makes a difference. I had good luck out of them years ago on the Bronco.

Last edited:
Ok so I ordered 3 7/8x3/4x16 heim joints with the misalignment spacers and nuts from Barnes4WD off amazon(good deal with free shipping).
I will get the pipe locally ...for 7/8joints what size for 37-39"tire... .120 or .250wall thick?

You need 0.250" wall. 0.120" wall tie rod will fold up.

Grade 8 is pletty and cheapish from tractor supply

Make sure you have safety washers if you have heims in single shear. No debate.
What's this?
I wouldn't put heims on it if I could help it.

I installed a brand new set of chromoly 3/4" heims on one of the Jeeps in August. By December, they'd all spit out the nylon.

I'm going to buy FKs QA1s?? FK JMX12T this time and see if that makes a difference. I had good luck out of them years ago on the Bronco.
These 7/8 are the ball bearing ones so isn't that better along with being 7/8 size? I was under impression heims were the way to go but now y'all got me all confused lol

These 7/8 are the ball bearing ones so isn't that better along with being 7/8 size? I was under impression heims were the way to go but now y'all got me all confused lol

They're "budget" rod ends with injected nylon liners. Dirt gets in there, tears up the nylon, the nylon falls out, and the joint is shot.

I think the ones I had previously had PTFE liners. Whatever it was, after five years on the steering links, you still couldn't turn the ball by hand.

Either way, I ordered a new set of JMX joints last night.

If your angles work with ball joints, run them. They're greasable, they have boots to keep shit out, and you can buy new ones at Autozone.

Back