2 days and nights ,one jeep,one person where to??

Willc

I work a weird job with a worse schedule causing me to be gone to your local holiday inn express 260+ nights a year.
So I have bought my old XJ back after Gotwood fixed everything hepossibly could. I have two nights ,a twin air mattress that fits perfect , a cooler ,a chair and a means of cooking and grand thoughts of adventure.

I briefly thought the OBX but the seven hr drive to the sand would cut into time a lot . I am headed out Wednesday and Thursday. I have camped beside the river in the free spots in wilsons gorge /creek area, and know of the spots on old nc 105 all this is very close to home.

If anyone want to chime in on locations or join the run speak up I would love some new camp spots.
Thanks
IMG_20170424_163206.jpg

Not much of a 4wheeling spot, but Curtis Creek just north of Old Fort is great car camping. Probably can do some trout fishing there too. Decent hiking around there. Hard to beat Linville Gorge though.

Driven that one too but that is a nice area with lots of unexplored forest service roads for me. I like the fire tower at the top
IMG_20160527_113355.jpg

Go up Curtis Creek. When you get to the main camping field park. Go straight across the field and follow the trail over the little ridge. Stay on the trail as it starts going up. Very cool falls back there and if you go to the top, the big rocks laying across the mountain are cool.

Go back to the rig whenever and keep going up and eventually make it to the parkway. Turn right and exit at hwy 80. Turn left. Just before the Mt Mitchell golf course is a left at an old rock building. Stay straight and you can go up Niels Creek. It's a dead end but well worth the drive just to see it all.

At the bottom of Neil's Creek is an old rock hatchery that's worth checking out. There is also a split before heading up Neil's Creek that goes right it's known as Black Mountain Campground and has trailheads all over the place. Keep going past the main attraction and it's miles to pavement which is the parkway. Turn right and head up to Mitchell and spend another night.

Take the parkway to Boone and go home from there.

Done all of that too except the hike at the campground. Would love to do the hike from black mountain to the top of mitchell but planter facitis (sp) has me shut down. Dam I am going to need a new state soon

Theres Maple Grove Church Road between Mortimer and Collettsville. I assume you've been there, but if not, its a nice ride, and camping around Wilson Creek or somewhere.

Have not done that one yet!
Is there camping on the road that is off 40 eight miles outside asheville that heads up to max patch?

Head to Cataloochee Valley and camp at the parks primitive campground. From there explore the area see some beautiful scenery and chase the Elk. Close to Hurricane Creek for light Wheelin and Max Patch.

x2 for Cataloochee

Or go down to Highlands area and check out that area around Whitewater Falls. It's awesome down there.

So old Cataloochee turnpike to the campground for night one . The next day hop back on 40 and hit Hurricane creek to max patch( directions needed) AND THEN?

who has info on cherokee national forest? seems like after maxpatch it is a easy ride over to it?

Last edited:
Back