Axle swap

badger

Alright guys, getting ready to do the toy axle swap with yj springs.
What or who is the best option for complete kit? Talked to Brent at trailtough and then another guy at lowrange. No one answered at sky.
The front toy axle has a high steer kit on it but was set up for a 95 Tacoma. If I run the toy box it would have to be mounted on the outside of the frame correct? Not sure. What are some options for steering. Currently Armstrong steering stock sami box. That has to go lol.
Any help thanks.
And yes another toy swap question [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I designed my own spring hanger relocation brackets and had a guy at work cut them out on the laser. They were not much different than the ones everyone sells though. I designed them so the center pin of the YJ leaf spring pack was in the same position as stock. I then drilled offset holes in the spring perches to move the front axle forward about 1", and the rear axle rearward about 1". I ran YJ springs SPUA because I feel that SPOA makes a Samurai WAY too tall for anything other than easy trails. I just cut the body to fit the 34" LTB's. I ran the Sidekick power steering box and pump with the wedge mounting bracket from Petroworks. It worked OK, but I think there are better options out there. I would maybe look at using a Saginaw P pump and mount it with this kit: Samurai 1.3L and 1.6L P pump Bracket - Urban Rock Crawler

What size tires are you planning on running?

I designed my own spring hanger relocation brackets and had a guy at work cut them out on the laser. They were not much different than the ones everyone sells though. I designed them so the center pin of the YJ leaf spring pack was in the same position as stock. I then drilled offset holes in the spring perches to move the front axle forward about 1", and the rear axle rearward about 1". I ran YJ springs SPUA because I feel that SPOA makes a Samurai WAY too tall for anything other than easy trails. I just cut the body to fit the 34" LTB's. I ran the Sidekick power steering box and pump with the wedge mounting bracket from Petroworks. It worked OK, but I think there are better options out there. I would maybe look at using a Saginaw P pump and mount it with this kit: Samurai 1.3L and 1.6L P pump Bracket - Urban Rock Crawler

What size tires are you planning on running?

I'm planning on 35's to start. 37's are the goal. The axles were built for abuse. I get heavy footed every now and then. For the most part I finesse.
Thank you for the input guys.
Thinking of the ifs toy box and pump. I'll check out the mounting bracket.
So what is y'all's opinion on buying the complete kit minus the high steering because I already have it.
Which company is easiest to deal with has most complete kit for what I'm trying to do.

I've bought stuff from Trail Tough and Low Range Offroad and had very good experiences with both.

Sorry this is for a samurai application. I failed to mention this in the first post.

Talked with lowrange and pricing it from them. All the misc odds and ends is around a G and still have to source a few mor things.
I can get more from trail tough for that price. Think I made my mind up. Thanks for the help

I'm planning on 35's to start. 37's are the goal. The axles were built for abuse. I get heavy footed every now and then. For the most part I finesse.
Thank you for the input guys.
Thinking of the ifs toy box and pump. I'll check out the mounting bracket.
So what is y'all's opinion on buying the complete kit minus the high steering because I already have it.
Which company is easiest to deal with has most complete kit for what I'm trying to do.

Are you going to stretch the wheelbase any? What are your plans for the rig? Street driver with occasional mild trail usage, or full on hard trail rig?

Are you going to stretch the wheelbase any? What are your plans for the rig? Street driver with occasional mild trail usage, or full on hard trail rig?

Full on trail rig man. Not stretching it any further than the yj swap allows. It's a built 1.3 stock trans stock case for now with a kong mount.
Axles are 84 front 4cyl diff with ifs hubs 5:29 gears f/r spools f/r, rcv shafts up front
92ishh lol v6 rear.
Doing a yj leaf swap.
I have coilovers 16" from foa I will use one day. Just ready to get it back together. My Sami has been on hold for 4or 5 years.
Getting a cage and a few other things done with a guy in south ga in a few months I hope he stays very busy.

Back