Help me figure this one out

The customer has agreed to replace the t-case, I'm just nervous not being 100% confident that the t-case is the problem.

The customer has agreed to replace the t-case, I'm just nervous not being 100% confident that the t-case is the problem.

Got a spare nearby that you can try as a donor? If I were closer, you could borrow one of ours.

Got a spare nearby that you can try as a donor? If I were closer, you could borrow one of ours.

Same! You're more than welcome to mine for a test pig. I can bring it by tomorrow and you keep it warm and safe until I return from Moab

Same! You're more than welcome to mine for a test pig. I can bring it by tomorrow and you keep it warm and safe until I return from Moab

That's be great. PM inbound.

Thanks!

Would it not be possible to measure the run out on the shaft at the case to determine if it were the cause? I understand would need to be loaded to really see if it were worn, particularly if the vibe wasn't terrible.

Would it not be possible to measure the run out on the shaft at the case to determine if it were the cause? I understand would need to be loaded to really see if it were worn, particularly if the vibe wasn't terrible.

Sorry, I'm not following you on this one? Dumb it down for me.

Sorry, I'm not following you on this one? Dumb it down for me.
I think he is saying to put an indicator on the output to see the run out. I guess to make sure it's true and not bent. I guess that could be possible if the drivetrain drops too far and binds the driveshaft on the lift. You can obviously feel if the bearings are shot. Idk if you could get to the seal surface on the yoke to measure or not.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

^ This is already the second shaft tho. Two bad shafts with the exact same problem?

i still got my money on the trans output bearing.

Hopefully it's the transfer case. And hopefully it runs so silky smooth after this temporary swap that he's willing to pay ANYTHING to keep it in this configuration!

Can you say Dynatrac Prorock 60's swap? :huggy:

"Look a nigga can dream can't day?"

Just a thought. If it is after the low range what comes off the old shaft and goes on the new output shaft for the AA kit? Seems like the vibe went with the AA kits. Both AA kits had the same vibe right?

Just a thought. If it is after the low range what comes off the old shaft and goes on the new output shaft for the AA kit? Seems like the vibe went with the AA kits. Both AA kits had the same vibe right?

Actually, tried 3 SYE kits, same thing each time.

After putting Troy's case in, same thing 3rd gear and it goes crazy. 2wd and 4wd High. Does this point the finger at the Trans now?

Could it possibly be anything with the clutch?

Clutch to me would be all the time reguardless of gear ratio. I picked trans early on just because of my experiences with tearing into a limited number of them...right off I realized how an isolated bearing on a shaft for certain gears only could be a pistol to track down. You already exausted external causes. If the input and output shafts are smooth and tight inners is next. Ever check the fluid for extra flakes or heavy metal?

I'm guessing something in trans.

4th gear is straight thru, countershaft doesn't turn.

5th gear is separate essentially on back of trans.

My guess would be a bearing or worn snap ring.

Something with the thrust of the helical gears in trans are causing vibes somewhere.

1st and reverse the countershaft spins the fastest.

When it happens, does on/off throttle at speed change vibes?

On throttle causes the gears to thrust one direction, while on decel, gears would thrust opposite direction.

Clutch to me would be all the time reguardless of gear ratio. I picked trans early on just because of my experiences with tearing into a limited number of them...right off I realized how an isolated bearing on a shaft for certain gears only could be a pistol to track down. You already exausted external causes. If the input and output shafts are smooth and tight inners is next. Ever check the fluid for extra flakes or heavy metal?

I'll pull the plug and check.

I'm guessing something in trans.

4th gear is straight thru, countershaft doesn't turn.

5th gear is separate essentially on back of trans.

My guess would be a bearing or worn snap ring.

Something with the thrust of the helical gears in trans are causing vibes somewhere.

1st and reverse the countershaft spins the fastest.

When it happens, does on/off throttle at speed change vibes?

On throttle causes the gears to thrust one direction, while on decel, gears would thrust opposite direction.

Does seem to harsher on acceleration, but doesn't go completely away on decel.

i honestly seem to recall the FSM mentioning the trans output bearing. Ill see if i can find it

Magnet was full, this from the bottom of the trans.

Trans is out and at A&A Transmission for a look-see.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dave

Trans is out and at A&A Transmission for a look-see.

Thanks for the help guys!

Dave

Good idea! It is interesting that this jeep has so few miles. I wonder if the fluid has ever been changed?

I remember reading that the service manual and dealerships putting GL-5 fluid into AX15s and the synchros got eaten away. Of course they corrected themselves later about it but it tricked many people before they got instruction to use GL-4 fluid.

Before I replaced my last AX15 the syncros were nom existent but it never had an issue like your customers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back