94 yj build

dlcrawler12

IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_0709.JPG
Hey, I've been lurking here since last year, and I figured I'd post my small built thread. I am 15 and for my birthday I received a 94 yj, 4.0 5spd, factory ac, factory hard top. It came with a 2.5 inch lift kit if unknown brand, and 265/75/16's. Well after about 2 months of driving and cleaning up the leaking oil, we decided go reaplace the rear mail seal. And what we found was bad. It had looked like the po had only changed the oil about i a year, and the oil pan was just full of oil sludge and crud. So the farther me went into the engine, the worse it got. So we decided to rebuild it, and bore it 30 over. No, we're not building a stoker, we didn't really see a reason why with a Daily driver/ weekend warrior. So we should get the engine back bye Wednesday so I'll eupdat y'all when I can. Thanks

good to see a young kid getting on here and into wrenching and wheeling. I do have to say due to Megan's Law im not allowed to communicate directly with OP

IMG_1106.JPG
Got the engine back the other day, bored .30 over, all new seals and whatnot, I'll keep y'all posted while we put it all back together

IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
Well got most of the engine assembled. Just had one mess up where we put all the pistons in with the rings upsidown. But at least we could go back and fix it. Got it all painted up purty. I also started servicing the diffs. The Dana 30 looked great, but the notorious 35 did not. Looks like new spider gears and maybe even new ring and pin ion.

Last edited:
Just my .02 and I don't want to start a poo flinging debate but I would invest the rear axle budget in to getting a Ford 8.8 instead of putting a bandaid on the D35.... just my thoughts I guess....

Holy crap I know that guy....
Tell dad Drew Johnson says hello.

Will do drew! And yeah kennith he reminds every day that his Toyota will be there to pull me out when I get stuck!

But we got the engine set in the jeep Wednesday night, resurfaced fly wheel and new luk clutch. Should be running bye Saturday. And for the Dana 35, we don't want to spend the money on and 8.8 for a daily, so it's either rebuild kit and keep the 3.07 gears, or 3.55, which would be about $200 more but we're leaning that way.
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on exhaust? I've been looking at the flowmaster and such but wanted some opinions, thanks!

My vote is magna flow. Flowmaster just sounds to mulletfied for me. I like tone not a loud racket.

My 4.0 had a cat and 10 series with an auto tranny and it sounded darn good. Throaty when you're in it but didn't drone bad on the highway.

Back