What's the hype with the eclipse???

Gas shortage because they said it on news, next it will be on Facebook, then there will be a run on stations, even in areas not near the eclipse.

Facebook: "GAS SHORTAGE!!!!!!!"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly. Gas shortages happen because the media says there will be a shortage, which causes a bunch of idiots to sit in line at gas stations waiting for gas.

I'm excited because I told work to suck an egg and not call or look for me after 10 am because I was going to get my preschool minion and go home, fire up the egg, watch and eclipse and wrench on my rig. For me, I have the circumstances in life that will allow me to get paid to hang out with my 3 yr old son. Plus I'm a bit of a science nerd and my son is smart so I'm looking forward to a teachable moment.

I love nature, I love the outdoors...but admittedly, I'm not seeing what the hype is about this eclipse. Am I missing something??? Major highways are putting signs up that traffic will be bad for what I assume is travel to Charleston. I'm reading local reports that because of it, we'll be seeing shortages and delays in gas and grocery deliveries. I see darkness every night. It's not an anomaly...it's an intersection of a math equation. You know, Train A and train B are traveling toward eachother blah blah blah.

And they do happen with frequency. Here are the dates and times for solar and lunar eclipses for the next 10 years, and the best visibility path for each...

Solar and Lunar Eclipses Worldwide – Next 10 years

I does get dark every night, but not usually at 2:30pm. So, yeah it's a little different. But feel free sit at home with a thumb up your butt while the rest of us have a fun weekend camping!

Well, this particular type of eclipse only happens like every 90+ years, so it is a little special if you are into it. But in general it's a lot of hype for 2 minutes of darkness. I was kinda surprised to see the road signs warning me to prepare for it. Like how? Wear an additional tin foil hat?

Happens every 18 months or so around the world, next ones over the US is 2024 then 2044 and 2045. 2044 is in Alaska and maybe a few northern states.

At least we are excited about something really interesting, most idiots now days only get excited when they get the Fidget spinner and Crocs they order on Amazon delivered on the same day together...

I does get dark every night, but not usually at 2:30pm. So, yeah it's a little different. But feel free sit at home with a thumb up your butt while the rest of us have a fun weekend camping

I'm not sure those scenarios are mutually exclusive...but have fun camping.

I'm wondering if anybody has considered the fact that about 2pm Monday would be the ideal time for a terrorist attack/event of some sort.
As mentioned a good half of the country will be traveling or out doing who knows wtf. If you wanna f%ck w/ people and cause panic... thats the time.

A coworker of my dads bought 100k glasses and sold them all for a good profit

At work we just got 750 overnighted and the CEO picked up the tab.

I'm wondering if anybody has considered the fact that about 2pm Monday would be the ideal time for a terrorist attack/event of some sort.
As mentioned a good half of the country will be traveling or out doing who knows wtf. If you wanna f%ck w/ people and cause panic... thats the time.

I was thinking a good time for pick pockets...but yeah...your hypothetical makes sense too

I'm wondering if anybody has considered the fact that about 2pm Monday would be the ideal time fora terrorist attack/event of some sort.
I was having that exact discussion today with the guy who sits beside me at work. Seems like a good time to keep a keen eye on NK and Russia.

This hit my brain weeks ago. My son will have to travel an hour one way to and from school that day......no biggy other than he is only 17 and drove this route twice. No biggie has me worried.
Inner state the whole way.

j319fslfm7gqyx3bkshl.jpg

Inner state the whole way.

With every other dumb bastard in a 4hr radius on the road too and fro to see the same thing at the same time.

Not trying to make it worse, but he needs to know what to expect (possible gridlock at 3pm-until)

I fail to see why gas mass gas shortages would be such a major deal. Yes, a shit-ton of people will be traveling, basically a majority of the country's population will be temporarily concentrated within a diagonal band running down the country.
But how is this dramatically different from, say, Christmas or Thanksgiving, in regards to how many vehicles are used?
As long as every single person doesn't decide to fill up on exactly the same day, it really shouldn't matter.

Now - you can bet every restaurant anywhere close to that diagonal band will be packed on Mon evening.

To put this is perspective. I26 evacuation plans out of Charleston is all lanes east and west diverted west bound .
That design accounts for 900,000 vehicles to leave Charleston, SC and reach Greenville, SC in 24 hours.

SC DOT is expecting 3.5 million cars on I-26 Monday.

the old lady & i will be sitting by the tv watching the eclipse.
seems to be the most reasonable thing for us to do.
we will step outside when its in our range just to hear the
roosters crow and the crickets cricket.

SC DOT is expecting 3.5 million cars on I-26 Monday.
So how are they making these predictions? I don't have any clue how you would try to predict such a thing.

So how are they making these predictions? I don't have any clue how you would try to predict such a thing.

Nor do I.
I mean I know how they determine that it is the highest hotel book rate in state history, (which btw still blows my mind)
I know how they can estimate cars based on historical trends.

So I am guessing some combo of the two?

i think i heard the eclipse will cause all bank records to get wiped out so as a friendly gesture i'm willing to guard all your cash for ya. large bills only please, jeep can only hold so much.

the only thing I have to offer is why cant 'they' make packable welding 'glasses' that one can use in a pinch when offroad? they'd be lighter, wont break as easy store- not ideal, but a great backup

Back