Four runner sas project

shocker998md

Hey guys,

I've been reading until my eyes bleed and think I have a solid game plan but would like to run it past the masses. A buddy of mines has a 89 four runner that he wants to sas. After doing a bunch of digging we are along the lines of using the trail gear ifs eliminater kit with 3 inch springs in the front. Use a Toyota axle and then in the rear use the trail gear rear 4 inch springs and new hangers for the relocation.

I've ran chevy springs in the past and unless a set fall into your lap for free or trade I think just going with the new rear springs would be worth it plus they aren't a mile long.

He plans on doing the swap this year, rock some 35s with 4.10s and then next year get new 3rd members from ECGS with lockers and either 4.88 or 5.29s.

So with having nothing but a stock four runner and a loose toyota axle would you buy the trail gear kit or go with something else?

After running this exact setup for a few years now, besides being an '85 and having a factory solid axle, I can say that I would have rather have just took longer to piece together some RUF and some 56" ford's for the back. The trail gear springs are ok, nothing special for what you pay for them. I've taken a few leaves out of both the front and rear, as they were way too stiff for my liking, and sat very high even after being broken in. In the end you could spend the same money in the end by building your own leaf packs and getting some decent tunable shocks (fox, king, etc.) and be much happier.

Here is picture for help, it's about 25" to the frame on 35's. Too tall for my liking but still goes through all the trails just fine:

Last edited:
Upgrade to poly frame shackle bushings... my trail gear bushings are garbage after less than three years and maybe 6 wheeling trips.
b8a50249bc437a6ea62d96a90b57b09f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back