Appliances....where?

kaiser715

Doing hard time
We are starting looking at and comparing appliances now for the new house. Slide-in range, over-range micro, fridge, dishwasher.

Want to stay mid-range. Not the cheapest, but not a six grand fridge, either.

Only been to Lowes, HD, Kees Appliance (Aberdeen), and Best Buy to look at different models and get a feel for what we like. Leaning towards KitchenAid or GE.

Where's the best places to look...price is important...but also who has great selections on the showroom floor so we get a good look-see at it. I heard Garner TV & Appliance might be worth the ride.

Thanks,

Garner TV is worth a look. I do not envy you having to go through reviews and compare features... it was pure hell. :lol: We went with Whirlpool from Lowes for the fridge, range, and microwave (we put it under the counter and love it) and Bosch is the only dishwasher you should even consider. :beer:

I used to work for the company that made the dishwasher baskets for Bosch and it was right down the road from their assembly plant. Pretty good product. They're also built in New Bern, NC...so that's kinda cool. All the stuff in my house is Whirlpool and I'm good with it.

We have a mid range GE dishwasher we just bought to match our simulairly overpriced fridge. I'd opt for something else as the GE dishwasher we bought cuts off for no apparent reason. Nobody knows what happens or has a solution. I'll be glad when it's gone. It does look good though. We bought from Lowes during their Memorial Day sale. Was a fair price.

Garner TV is worth a look. I do not envy you having to go through reviews and compare features... it was pure hell. :lol: We went with Whirlpool from Lowes for the fridge, range, and microwave (we put it under the counter and love it) and Bosch is the only dishwasher you should even consider. :beer:

We have a Bosch d/w now. It is great. I also put one in at my mom's about 4 years ago.

BUT....new house, everything has to match....SWMBO wants black stainless/slate appliances.

We have a Bosch d/w now. It is great. I also put one in at my mom's about 4 years ago.

BUT....new house, everything has to match....SWMBO wants black stainless/slate appliances.

Bosch can look like anything you want. I've personally bought about three or maybe four of them with the plain stainless front, but you can put a cabinet face on them if you prefer that.

The one thing that surprised me when we were looking was that none of the gas ranges were worth a shit. People were buying them and changing out the jets to get decent BTUs on all the eyes, and even then, an electric would boil faster.

The whirlpool range we got has double ovens. The little top one gets used a couple times a day, the bottom one gets used less.

We put the microwave under the island in the cabinets. It's pretty great there, but mounting it at roughly counter height is best. If you have any full height cabinets, try to plan for that. Over the range is worst.

Best Buy sells all the fancy shit now, if you want to spend a bunch of money. The reviews I read said to steer clear of Samsung and LG. They're fine, until they're not, then you have to wait on a boat from Korea to get parts. The whirlpool range we bought had a cooktop eye control knob go bad under warranty. The guy brought one with him when he came to fix it. The microwave had a thermal switch crap out (I blame a surge) not under warranty. I bought the part off eBay and swapped it. Cost $5 for the part, $6 to ship.

Whirlpool makes KitchenAid, Ikea, JennAir, Amana, Maytag, and probably a few others.

When we moved in to our house, we went with all new appliances. I found everyone was within $500 of each other for the same models, so I made my decision on best available discounts. Samsung French door fridge, Bosch dishwasher, whirlpool microwave and GE stove. I ended up going with Lowe's, they were having a 10% off sale and if I got a credit card, with what we spent, I got an additional 15% off. Paid it off when I got home and saved about $2k.

Edit...washer and dryer, just dusted off about a 7 year old set of Maytags I had in storage. Didn't really see anything we liked for the money.

Last edited:
We really like our French door fridge. Being able to open one narrow side door but having access to the full inside is great. Plus the pull-out basket freezer is so much more convenient. Wish we'd gone to that style sooner.

Our microwave is a GE Profile convection oven/microwave combo over the oven. *love it*. It's not too big so it don't hang low over the range or anything, and the interior space is pretty big. It's great having access to a second oven for the rare times we need a 2nd oven w/o taking up any extra space, or to cook something small.
None of our shit is matching brands and nobody has ever noticed or said anything, just all close to the same color stainless. Or maybe none of my friends care, we don't. The fridge is "stainless look", which we like better b/c you can still use magnets.
IMO stainless just means "you see streaks and fingerprints all the time."

We ordered our microwave/convection oven from Best Buy online, it was cheapest that way. But your best bet is to just pick out a model you like, then Google a source. All sources of the same thing will be pretty darn close unless somebody is having a clearance.

Currently doing the same thing with our kitchen now. Picked up a Kitchenaid D/W from Lowes a month ago and it has been flawless. Looks great/functions great etc. Will probably outfit the rest of the appliances with KitchenAid. We have JenAir products now. They are 30yrs old and still work great but they are severely limited in size. Our jenair oven/stove top works great but are super small. Plan is to do appliances and then counter tops and the kitchen "should" be done...

Hendricks appliance in Shelby did us right when we built our house. Ended up about half the cost for better appliances than we planned for.

If you go to Garner TV make a trip around the corner to the Sears Outlet. We bought our fridge there as a "Scratch dent" model (Had a 2" scratch on the plate on the BACK of the fridge) for about 60% of new. Carried the full manufacturers warranty also. They also have new stuff there and have a big selection of appliances there.

heres a second vote for Hendricks. when we built our house some 22 years ago
we bought all new kitchen appliances there and they were cheaper than anyone else.
just recently we replaced the fridge with a more energy saving model and they were
still cheaper than anyone else. BTW our power bill dropped by 1/3rd. the only drawback
is the new models have less space inside due to increased insulation.

I thought Stainless was Out & Black is IN. Personally I don't want either! Whirlpool/Frigidaire/Maytag, [Shawn, I didn't know about the others] all made in Mexico. So, what isn't?
If possible, Stay away from the Hi-tech stuff; just makes for more costly repairs.

Bought a Samsung side by side in 2010, has worked fine till this last spring, it works, but the ice and water dispenser locks itself at random times, very frustrating, its a problem in the control board (temperature related) in the freezer door, and of course it has been discontinued. i'm leery of taking board apart as right now the fridge works, if i screw it up then we're buying another fridge, which isn't something were prepared to do. Of course, the only way to RESET the locked display/ice/water dispenser is to cut power, which means pulling fridge out of its hole, pulling plug, wait 30 or so seconds and plug back in. What could go wrong ?
I've been told in the past the Samsung is pretty temperature sensitive, over 80° ambient and they tend to cook themselves. guess yearly blow outs of dust and critter stuff helps ? I wont buy another Samsung, i know that.

speed Queen washer dryer than other places.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

How are those...the radio commercials make me laugh, online reviews seem really good. But I usually just buy used $300 washer/dryer sets, so wasn't sure if it was worth forking over the cash.

How are those...the radio commercials make me laugh, online reviews seem really good. But I usually just buy used $300 washer/dryer sets, so wasn't sure if it was worth forking over the cash.
They are freaking tanks. The washer weighed more than the front loader it replaced. All mechanical no digital crap to fall apart.

Another vote for garner tv. Ask for Ty. Price matched best buy on a fridge and price was better on speed Queen washer dryer than other places.

Went up there today, got to work with Ty. Got everything picked out. They are several hundred higher than Kee' s, so will go round 2 on pricing with them and see what they can do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

But I usually just buy used $300 washer/dryer sets

Stick with that. The machines from ~15 years ago clean a lot better. Starting in the early 2000s, the "energy" mandates resulted in machines that took a long time to wash clothes and did a shit job of it.

Went up there today, got to work with Ty. Got everything picked out. They are several hundred higher than Kee' s, so will go round 2 on pricing with them and see what they can do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Please keep this thread updated. I'm curious how it all works out for you. I'll be starting on a house in a few months and my wife is already going on about new appliances :shaking:

Back