Chainsaws

You could also "need" an MS361 or MS362 instead. I was gonna post a couple CL links for reasonable priced ones, but your local area is completely devoid of such, plus you want a warranty.

I also keep hearing that buying new, the stihl "ain't what it use to be"
The guys on Arboristsite seem to really like Stihl's offerings in the past few years, and they are a bunch of chainsaw elitists who will nit-pick any and every thing they can think of.

I was gonna post a couple CL links for reasonable priced ones, but your local area is completely devoid of such
Yeah I've been lurking for a while

plus you want a warranty.

Not necessary, but it's one of those "If I'm going to spend $400 for used, and new is $500......."

Yeah I've been lurking for a while

Not necessary, but it's one of those "If I'm going to spend $400 for used, and new is $500......."
from construction of them there isnt a noticeable difference just the plastic covers have become more curved. almost the same weight, balance points. id say the motor has been tweaked but its still a 2 cycle motor keep it fuel with right mix and dont let the fuel lines rot and it should be good to go

Got my eye on a stihl 170 saw for lighter use.

I would say "lump it into this purchase" but that dude was offering NO incentive for multiple purchases. I couldn't even get him to throw in a roll of line for the weedeater.

Gotta shop around

I have an older stihl and it's a great all around saw, 50cc. I could run it all day and it sips fuel and oil. I have a big saw for stumps but if I had to only have one, it would be around 60cc. My friend just got a echo cs590 for his work. Around 400$ with a 20".

@CasterTroy I have an MS361 that I'd sell, but its not perfect, has a few issues (oiler doesn't oil well, pull cord is wearing thin, etc). And I'll be heading up i85 in the greater Wallburg region on Friday...

Got my eye on a stihl 170 saw for lighter use.

It's a little too small. But, that's just me. FIL got a 180 or 181 it's small. I like my 211. It's light starts well and isn't too big but with a good chain will cut very well. the 180 was bogging down a lot in even soft wood. I did opt for the yellow chain instead of the green chain. I think that makes a difference.

@CasterTroy shop it around and buy what you want. The top brands like Stihl, Echo, Husky etc are all going to have blind brand loyal fans or shops. I've always been a "buy what the local shop supports" person, and around here we have a shop that sells and services just about every brand.

Dollar for dollar, the Echo will probably yield you a little more powerful saw for the money. Comparing a MS261 which is a 50cc 20" bar 10lb powerhead saw to say the Echo CS501P with comparable specs, the Echo retails for about $100 less. Or spend that $100 more and get a more powerful saw in the 60cc range like the CS600 or 620.

The Echo's seem to do really well for the little shop near the house that I get most of my miscellaneous parts from.

Stihl, Echo, Husky

I own all three. The Stihl had to get repaired under warranty, but it's covered for 5 years.

261 is too small for what @CasterTroy is describing. 440 would be better.

Edit: Scratch that. The 261 should be a 4hp saw. I was thinking it was the 2.5 or 3hp or whatever version. Had to go look it up.

Last edited:
@CasterTroy I have a 026, 028, and a 311 and you are welcome to try each one and see what feels best for you. Here is a rule of thumb, the optimal bar length for a saw is 1/3 of the CCs, for instance the 026 is a 48cc motor so I run a 16" bar on that one.

Also, if you come across a 440, 460, 461, or any other 70cc or bigger saw, let me know. I sold the 440 I had and am regretting it now as I have a large oak that I need to work up.

Tricked out 660 for the MFW. Borrowed this thing from my buddy to cut my big willow oak. Thing sounded like a hopped up dirt bike.

1034.jpeg

@CasterTroy I have a 026, 028, and a 311 and you are welcome to try each one and see what feels best for you.

I'm gonna take you up on that clay! I can't see owning multiple, but hell, I know where you live and if YOU have that many...........sheesh! (wheels turning)

I can help on the saw stuff questions , I build & do port work on saws . I do a bunch of trading on saws , and keep several pro grade saws in stock to build or sale...

Sweet!

Last edited:
I'm gonna take you up on that clay! I can't see owning multiple, but hell, I know where you live and if YOU have that many...........sheesh! (wheels turning)

I used to live in the sticks, and my dad still has some land, so you have to be prepared haha

Stump is about 52" across in that pic. Took us all Easter weekend to do but only cost me the $300 for the lift.

I don’t know if there is a Dolmar dealer near you but they are a step above Sthil and husqvarna in my opinion the dealer in Salisbury is faith farm equipment

Bought me a new saw today. Will be my first Stihl. I'm ready to compare it to my 390 and 395 husqvarna's. Oh forgot to mention I paid $10 for it. Hardly any compression, looks like it'll be getting a piston and jug. View attachment 256250
It'll never run right. I'll give you $20 for it and double your money!

Back