Square cage...here it is

Triangles are the strongest geometric shape. More triangles in the cage stronger it is
That doesn't help me know where to put em. Sorry its my first cage so need to be more specific, thank you

"borrowing" materials from work huh? Honestly will probably hold up just fine, gotta be heavy as hell though.
I bought it from the guy who buys all scrap from work and other places but that's all he had for now

Def need to notch front bar for a giant fawking light bar... just saying! More triangles as in every 90 degree ya got add another piece of dom and roll on! Road signs work well for a roof also! Ha

That doesn't help me know where to put em. Sorry its my first cage so need to be more specific, thank you

c1c4621727c7696d8c9ed9eba6b4575b.jpg

Make an x on the back from one corner to the other both ways, do it on the roof as well. Add a bottom windshield bar and a v to brace the top windshield bar. Take a bar from top of back pillar forward to the bottom of the next one forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c1c4621727c7696d8c9ed9eba6b4575b.jpg

Make an x on the back from one corner to the other both ways, do it on the roof as well. Add a bottom windshield bar and a v to brace the top windshield bar. Take a bar from top of back pillar forward to the bottom of the next one forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok yeah I figured but I have to get more material. For not at least its enough but hope soon I can get more from the scrap guy to finish it

This is my rockers and sliders so cage is tied into pretty stout frame now..first the frame rails have 4x4angle iron 3/16thick then these mold boards which are unfortunately 3/16too...yeah its probably one heavy pig now lol but a tank
0921172056.jpg

This might sound crazy.... Mister Marty Fuller the 79th, if you lived closer and I was 100% finished with my YJ (I'm 98.4% now), and you threw me material cost, I'd build a full cage in that Jeep for free. I repeat: Free! Just because I can.

*All haters please report to @Paul 's office*

Then fact that you built a cage without knowing the very basics of cage design is a problem. But to be fair, I've seen a shitload of other cages that don't follow the basic principles of cage design either, so you aren't alone and can't be singled out.

That's a lot of sprung weight up in the air. Careful climbing and going off camber. Gonna want to roll, so be sure and triangulate that cage as said.. May need a dana 80 to hold it up.

Google roll cages Marty, look at the images tab. Millions of examples for you.

Make squares into triangles by adding diagonal__. /

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Google roll cages Marty, look at the images tab. Millions of examples for you.

Make squares into triangles by adding diagonal__. /

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I have, as soon as I get some more material I will add more.
On the roof itself, how much more braces do I need to make it complete without adding too much more weight up there. I know its not enough as it is right now...looks like most people do a spider web on the roof

This might sound crazy.... Mister Marty Fuller the 79th, if you lived closer and I was 100% finished with my YJ (I'm 98.4% now), and you threw me material cost, I'd build a full cage in that Jeep for free. I repeat: Free! Just because I can.

*All haters please report to @Paul 's office*
I'd drive the 3 hours to help with firewood and beer...

The beauty of an XJ is the light weight...
Well not on this one lol. Thing bout weight is its kinda pointless with an XJ to be so strict on weight, meaning:
D60s are way heavier. 37-40" tires heavy, rockers and sliders heavy (must have), bumpers and winch heavy (must have), and roll cage must have (all are heavy but some more than others). So mine probably is heavy but can't be a whole lot more than average well built xj crawler rigs on similar size tires and axles. I'd rather be heavier knowing I'm protected!

Well not on this one lol. Thing bout weight is its kinda pointless with an XJ to be so strict on weight, meaning:
D60s are way heavier. 37-40" tires heavy, rockers and sliders heavy (must have), bumpers and winch heavy (must have), and roll cage must have (all are heavy but some more than others). So mine probably is heavy but can't be a whole lot more than average well built xj crawler rigs on similar size tires and axles. I'd rather be heavier knowing I'm protected!

Put it this way: that 2.5 inch square is probably roughly equivalent to 3" square tubing for strength and weight. So its strong (assuming properly built and triangulated), but much heavier than it needs to be.

Edit: 3 inch round. Not square.

Last edited:
Back