Ford D60 long side break

ghost

27E6A83F-51D7-4A6E-8B8D-43039AA7BC07.jpeg
So I used a small, 5 lb telescoping magnet, to get some of the broken shaft out but the stub that is in the lock right is not coming so easy. Any suggestions on getting it out without pulling the other side apart and pushing it out from the other side? I have not pulled the diff cover yet to see if that is an option.

Wow do axles normally break like that, holy cow. I always thought they do a clean snap right at the splines. That's insane

Pull the diff cover and see if you can finagle it out that way.

Wow do axles normally break like that, holy cow. I always thought they do a clean snap right at the splines. That's insane

There was a good bit of psi/torque on that snap. Grab a piece of chalk and twist the ends separate ways and it'll snap and look almost identical to that.

Do you have access to a stick welder?
No stick welder. Going to see if a 16lb magnet I saw at the hardware store will work. If that does not work I'll pull the diff cover.

We've used pairs of the telescoping magnets with good success, so the bigger one might work.

Stick welder has been the only thing ive had any luck with, going through other side doesn't give you enough room to move much at all. Ive had luck with rebar using it as a welding rod to stick it to broken piece. Good luck with it, that's a tough fix.

you might wanna check...

If you can get anything in between the spiders, try to pry on the end of the axle. if it doesnt move...dont try to drive it out until you are sure the axle tube isnt jammed with shrapnel. The axle can splinter then all the splinters jam up in a ball inside the axle tube. driving the stub into the ball only jams it tighter!

Wylie, ( @backhalf-cj ) broke one like this and it took us three hours of hammerin on the sides of the axle tube to loosen the pieces, one by one, then fishing them out with a magnet.

it sucked...

Damn.... I tried my magnet tool I made but it did not work. So I'll pull the cover. I started that then work interfered....

Back