Bent driveshaft yoke ear

jcramsey

Swapped transmissions in my C20, so I had to find new slip yoke to fit it. After getting the old u-joint out and trying to press the new one in, it looks like one of/both of the ears on the driveshaft side are bent in maybe 1/8" total, not allowing me to snap in one of the retainer clips. Any tricks to press them back out. Saw a guy did this, but I don't have a machine shop handy :p If a driveshaft shop can do it, then thats cool too...gonna get the shaft shortened and balanced anyway.

SDC12101a.JPG

SDC12103a.JPG

Same concept. Get a bolt long enough to go through both ears.
washer-nut-nut-washer
User the two nuts like a spanner

You will have to supply the ass to move it, but you can put an impact on the head and hold the nut

BTW that looks like a solution @jeepinmatt would come up with just to use his lather and take pics. Thats essentially way to o much work for an easy problem

A driveline shop would probably just weld a new one on at the same time they shorten it...that's probably the option I'd take if it has to get worked on anyway.

BTW that looks like a solution @jeepinmatt would come up with just to use his lather and take pics. Thats essentially way to o much work for an easy problem
Clearly you know how I roll :lol:

And I'd use 2 wrenches instead of an impact. You'd be surprised how much force you can generate with a well lathered thread.

damn autocorrect

lather ...smdh

I've been known to use a cut off wheel as a grinder wheel and open up the ID enough to get the clip in...
Yep, i was going to do that on mine but decided to take it to the pros. Got it back and that's all they did and charged me $150 to do it.:rolleyes:

Back