Battery Powered Mowers

TARider

Has the technology improved to the point where these are a viable alternative to a gas mower? I like the idea of no carb cleaning, maintenance and being able to stand it up to save some space. But I also want something with the strength to mulch and bag leaves and avoid raking. The new yard is less than a half acre and mostly landscaped/not much grass.

About 5 years ago in college, my neighbor let me use his Black and Decker cordless battery powered mower and I was real impressed. So much that I would have bought one had I not been a broke college student and my roommates parents gave us their old gas burner. I couldn't tell you the model but I'm sure there have been improvements in the last 5 years to make them even better.

I would buy one if a pushmower would suit my needs. And I'm not a greenie or a hipster. Father in law bought a few year old Homelite corded one, and I used it a couple weeks ago. I was really impressed with how quiet it was, and loved that when I wasn't actually cutting, I could stop the blades. I'm currently trying to talk my mom into getting the E-go self propelled one for their place in the mountains. She currently uses a non-self propelled one and I worry she will run over herself on the loose gravel covered hills that she is cutting. Batteries have come a long way in the past 5 years.

My previous job was with Lowe's working on the Kobalt product development team. I tested a lot of battery power mowers all brands and sizes, I would recommend a higher watt hour (Voltage x Amp hours = watt hour, best way to compare battery platforms) battery, but to keep it simple the marketing people talk in voltage thus I would look for a 50 volts or higher to get the most gas like performance. Also I would consider the size of your lot, battery power is competitive on <0.5 acre due to run times. Plan to get two batteries these is were battery loses...the cost of the second battery is killer (+$100), I know Kobalt runs a deal where you can get a battery for free with purchase of a mower kit (Kit meaning it comes with a charger and a battery). The reason I say two batteries is my yard is about 0.3 of an acre and when the grass is really grow fast and thick, I need all of one battery and half of the other to get the job done, I was using a 58 volt Echo. That's kinda the basics of battery power mowers.

Now for a head to head comparison...I used the 58v Echo for a whole grass cutting season and I used the newest Honda for a whole season. What I discover was, bagging is night and day, gas is better hands down. If you just mulch or side discharge they are the same, you may have to slow in the thick spots with the battery but your overall time between the two is comparable.

FYI, when you buy any new (gas or battery) mower sharpen the blade right out of the box...the mower stores do this if you buy a commercial grade mower. The blades are dullish due to safety concern during unboxing.

Hope that helps.

My FIL bought a 40v (I think) Kobalt set a few weeks ago, leaf blower, mower, and a couple other things. He seems to like it.

Last week I was in Lowe's & saw a lot of Battery equipment, more like the all in 1 products. Then there was a Battery mower! I didn't even slow down to look, but my take on it was probably 18" max, & it was Green. No, I don't know the Brand.

LOL Jeez the shit rich people buy. Well, if anybody’s buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just sit on your porch and mow everything :D :popcorn::beer:

Just sit on your porch and mow everything [emoji1] :popcorn:[emoji481]

For $50K it should be able to mow down pesky neighbors, trespassers, incessantly barking dogs, smart mouthed children, all those damn snakes nobody can identify, and be able to chew up the tires on the jackass’ car who likes to turn up the music every time he drives by... then, they need a payment plan and I’m in!

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of my land is grass, maybe 1/4 acre. While the idea of battery powered stuff seems cool initially my conditioning of battery's crapping the bed when I don't need them too keeps me leaning towards gas.

Back