Teach us how to weld

You can run straight co2, but you won't like it unless you're running flux core..

Straight co2 and hard wire is globular, spattery, really kind of wasteful. However it digs deeper then 75/25

75/25 with hard wire (mig) is the industry standard. Low spatter and good penetration. Cools fast for out of position work.

85/15. Is almost a spray arc, higher voltages and larger wire diameter .45.

Stick with 75/25, you will waste coin with anything else in the mig welding area.

So if I’m welding 18gauge sheetmetal with fluxcore even on 110 I’m having blow through at 15 volt 220 speed unless I run a stupid fast stringer bead! What’s input on this? .30 wire I’ve never mig welded much besides spot welds so it’s a lot diff and I figure flux would be best to learn since everyone says it’s a pita, and gas cost! Same reason I’m relearning stick on 7018 instead of 6011 or 7014 bc 7018 restring is Satan so it trains me to have a good first strike!! Any good links to or sheets for thickness to volt and wire speed for mig? Gonna get gas ASAP but want to get hang of mig first and dunno what size bottle I’m going with I like having this welder portable already had it on a job site for repairs and it’s convenient to say the least

So if I’m welding 18gauge sheetmetal with fluxcore even on 110 I’m having blow through at 15 volt 220 speed unless I run a stupid fast stringer bead! What’s input on this? .30 wire I’ve never mig welded much besides spot welds so it’s a lot diff and I figure flux would be best to learn since everyone says it’s a pita, and gas cost! Same reason I’m relearning stick on 7018 instead of 6011 or 7014 bc 7018 restring is Satan so it trains me to have a good first strike!! Any good links to or sheets for thickness to volt and wire speed for mig? Gonna get gas ASAP but want to get hang of mig first and dunno what size bottle I’m going with I like having this welder portable already had it on a job site for repairs and it’s convenient to say the least

More stickout or turn the wire speed down until it starts burning back or not continuous arc, then turn back up until it sounds consistent. Flux core penetrates deeper than solid wire so that is working against you on thin stuff.

More stickout or turn the wire speed down until it starts burning back or not continuous arc, then turn back up until it sounds consistent. Flux core penetrates deeper than solid wire so that is working against you on thin stuff.
I didn’t consider flux penetrating more that’s mostly my problem, 7018s turned down didn’t blow through just spread on me a little!

This is my 3 pass mig attempt flux core on 1/2” machine was cranked up wire speed over 400 or close! haven’t cut it yet to see if penetrated looks like last ones laying on top to me tho!?
43C325E4-2A75-4BEC-B80D-56512B27CB7F.jpeg

So after reading this thread, I started pushing my MIG welder instead of pulling. Total difference. Much better penetration and a better looking bead as well. Looking forward to practicing more with this new technique.

Also anyone have a 80cuft tank for 75/25 they want to sale? Those tanks I’m assuming are gold lined I have a small oxygen tank I’d trade if anyone interested!!

Also anyone have a 80cuft tank for 75/25 they want to sale? Those tanks I’m assuming are gold lined I have a small oxygen tank I’d trade if anyone interested!!

Are those the 4ft tall tanks? I usually go to Arc3 gases here in Charlotte and they have told me they can no longer sell those to the public, just businesses. Two years ago when I got my welder I had the option of getting the 4ft tank or the smaller tank. I went with the smaller tank and have been kicking myself ever since.

Some reason I always liked fcaw up hill. Seemed to me to be easier to grasp the technique than flat in any direction.. I usually run a triangle with the point down, seemed to me to work well. And welding flat towards me seems easier than away. I'm self taught as well so there's that also. I'll try to put up a pic or two to see how mine fare y'all's critique.. my bumper & hitch hasn't fell off or cracked yet, so I guess that's a decent indication? Maybe I should try some coupons.. (I did do a dumb thing.. wondered why it was burning back in the tips, had got 30 wire and 35 tips.. oops.. thought the wire was 35.)

Are those the 4ft tall tanks? I usually go to Arc3 gases here in Charlotte and they have told me they can no longer sell those to the public, just businesses. Two years ago when I got my welder I had the option of getting the 4ft tank or the smaller tank. I went with the smaller tank and have been kicking myself ever since.
Yes 46” I believe thought tsc had em yesterday but wanted $300 or something for tank and filled or more I can’t recall the kid didn’t know what he was looking up to begin with lol

I was really curious if I should keep practicing mig with fluxcore wire before spending cash on gas I’m doing vertical now and it’s tough as I’m trying to stick weld with a mig gun basically lol I need tube to really get the hands on. works got me tied up heavy right now tho, I can’t even get order In for hrew to start tube notching and mig welding practice!

Try it on flat plate, make a 90* and weld uphill. It's almost similar to tube, except it's not wrapped around a circle. Perfect that first, then try flat, and inverted. Or whatever order. Basically tube to flat will be very similar, though over a constantly changing angle. Simplify, then complexify. That's my 2 lb of scrap steel contribution... That might be about 12 ¢.

First flux core outside corner seems to have penetrated one side at least!! Was vertical downhill 20amp
6241627D-E5CD-4AE8-88E2-915C20C03B80.jpeg

for your vertical, try 2 pieces of 1/4 or 3/8 plate. bevel one then tack weld the two together with about 1/8" gap between them. Stand them vertical then weld your uphill weld.

Vertical welds like to have a place to lay and cool/freeze

for your vertical, try 2 pieces of 1/4 or 3/8 plate. bevel one then tack weld the two together with about 1/8" gap between them. Stand them vertical then weld your uphill weld.

Vertical welds like to have a place to lay and cool/freeze
Without Backing plate? I’ve got some 1/4” I’ll try that with tonight if I get time gotta get more electrodes for stick I’ve ran through 5lb in a week.

Try it on flat plate, make a 90* and weld uphill. It's almost similar to tube, except it's not wrapped around a circle. Perfect that first, then try flat, and inverted. Or whatever order. Basically tube to flat will be very similar, though over a constantly changing angle. Simplify, then complexify. That's my 2 lb of scrap steel contribution... That might be about 12 ¢.
Awesome I was going to attempt a box so I’d have diff angles mig feels strange in diff angles especially when going from vertical to flat imo I have problems gettin my angle back up to for flux to shield the puddle and or my puddle will burn through I’m gonna pic up a stick of hrew and chop into small practice pieces to weld on 1/4” plate but will try that also my mig gun sucks also seems really short looking into a flex mig gun from htp I think it was

Without Backing plate? I’ve got some 1/4” I’ll try that with tonight if I get time gotta get more electrodes for stick I’ve ran through 5lb in a week.
Backing plates are for pussies.

Backing plates are for pussies.
3/32 landing& 3/32 gap 3&4G is how I officially learned walking the cup on Tig.

"Wait for the click". ;)

No backing strip or what's known as open root is a true test of skill. With MIG it's "whip and hold". Stick, it's "keyhole and fill". With whatever process, you're essentially welding air. It'll turn your perception of welding inside out and backwards but the end result is worth it. It'll make you a far better welder.

Last edited:
3/32 landing& 3/32 gap 3&4G is how I officially learned walking the cup on Tig.

"Wait for the click". ;)

No backing strip or what's known as open root is a true test of skill. With MIG it's "whip and hold". Stick, it's "keyhole and fill". With whatever process, you're essentially welding air. It'll turn your perception of welding inside out and backwards but the end result is worth it. It'll make you a far better welder.

I learned in with 6010 root 7018 cover in steam pipe welding when I was about 24 years old.

Challenge accepted...
Are you at some point shooting for stick on roll cage tubing? That's something you'll want to practice, or simulating rather, before jumping into. Doing a full cage start to finish with only stick is a brutal undertaking. After doing it recently, I can say it's the most challenging welding situation I've been in ever, and did most of it while out the vehicle and hanging from a tree so it was easier. The fit up has to be flawless almost. Mine was far from it and filling gaps makes it much harder and takes forever. My next one I'll make sure it's fits better and I'd probably use a 3/32 7018 rather than a 6013.
If you care to try it, I'll help any way I can, and I had to ask for plenty. :lol:
I bet $5 there's a few on here that could if they wanted to. I've met a few so far.
:beer:

Shit I beveled both pieces lol but here’s first attempt felt like a was using a gouging electrode lmao piss poor attempt to say the least will setup another one now one beveled instead of both
873FD50E-23EE-4935-A10C-02876EE52584.jpeg
F316EF6D-E8BB-4A91-9822-36A066691149.jpeg

Are you at some point shooting for stick on roll cage tubing? That's something you'll want to practice, or simulating rather, before jumping into. Doing a full cage start to finish with only stick is a brutal undertaking. After doing it recently, I can say it's the most challenging welding situation I've been in ever, and did most of it while out the vehicle and hanging from a tree so it was easier. The fit up has to be flawless almost. Mine was far from it and filling gaps makes it much harder and takes forever. My next one I'll make sure it's fits better and I'd probably use a 3/32 7018 rather than a 6013.
If you care to try it, I'll help any way I can, and I had to ask for plenty. :lol:
I bet $5 there's a few on here that could if they wanted to. I've met a few so far.
:beer:
Negative, as much as I love stick welding I’m going to be doing the cage with mig I’m hoping I can use hard wire mig with gas but where it’s outside I’m not positive how well the gas will do with wind etc... I did buy heavy welding tarps tho for wind blockage outside and obvious fire prevention! I’m positive I’ll use stick for axle truss etc if I go links bc I feel more comfortable with stick for critical parts! Gettin into school close by the house for some welding time tho hopefully in the spring!

Back