The HORNET - Go big or go home!

BigSouth

Doesn't play well with others!
Starting a new thread for the overhaul. Gonna go ahead and rip off the bandaid and take my truck off the trails. Initial plan is to tear the truck down to the cab and frame. Sell off everything Toyota and pour the profits into the new shiny. I’m planning on @Jody Treadway building my axles and @mcutler handling the links and LS.

Current status before the tear down.
603F6754-41E7-494D-B5E9-58144699217C.jpeg

Already have a built 4L60E in the truck backed by a 4.3 Atlas II. Both of those will be retained to mate to an LS (yet to be sourced). I also already have a pair of CUCV tons I bought a couple months ago.

3D06EE49-575B-4D84-A9B6-B3679B13893E.jpeg

They’re poster children for Blue Torch Fab already decked out with trusses, diff covers, and hi-steer arms. More to follow over the next 2 years or so...

Nice!

AWESOME, But you didn't mention anything about taller tires and fender trimming!?!?

Definitely bigger tires. I’ll probably let my kids duke it out in the backyard over whether we go 42” Treps or 43” TSL’s. I’d take either, but they don’t agree. It’ll be stickies either way. As for the fenders, there aren’t any on the back and I’ll leave the rest of the trimming to Matt. You know his rules, drop it off, no deadline, leave lots of cash.

Planning to throw some parts on the market after Christmas. I figure most guys are like me and do their best to make Christmas awesome for kids rather than buy truck parts. Do you think parts would sell easier/quicker all torn down or entire axles as a pair? Opinions welcome.

I think it depends on the parts....but don't forget, tax time will be here soon and people will be ready to spend their money that the government lets them have back.

I ended up making way more money parting out my toyota axles than trying to sell them whole but post up all the specs and be willing to start seperating. Let me know what tires and wheels you want and I can see what I can do on those for you.

I ended up making way more money parting out my toyota axles than trying to sell them whole but post up all the specs and be willing to start seperating. Let me know what tires and wheels you want and I can see what I can do on those for you.

That’s kinda what I was thinking too. The odds of finding somebody that needs my ratio and wants my choice in lockers is probably slim to none. I’ll shoot you a PM about wheels and tires.

Specs on yota's

FRONT
1985 Toyota front axle with 1995 IFS hub conversion, 58" WMS-WMS.
Trail Gear diff armor.
RCV Performance Ultimate 30 spline CV axles.
ARP Hub studs with AISIN hubs and RCV hub gears.
Trail Gear Knuckle Safe Wiper Kit.
Front Range Offroad Fab brake mounting kit.
1996 V6 Tacoma Duralast Rotors, Calipers.
Trail Gear high steer arms.
Barnes 4wd perches, 5/8” U bolt flip kits, and spring plates.
Hi Pinion V6 Third Member from Trail Gear with Nitro 4.56 reverse cut gears and a Spartan Locker. Grizzly 29 spline yoke double drilled.

All the seals and gaskets were replaced when I built the axle with Marlin Crawler stuff.

REAR
1994 4Runner rear axle.
Trail Gear diff armor.
Rear disk swap using Sky's offroad brackets, K1500 front rotors, and GM G-body front calipers/pads.
Barnes 4wd perches, U bolts, and spring plates.
V6 Third Member from 4Runner with 4.56 gears and a Spartan Locker.

I also have a spare V6 third, 4.56 gears, open carrier as a trail spare.

Sad day in the neighborhood. Back on jack stands. Tires and wheels are gone!
FD0691FA-0E3A-4947-9ACE-9238EA1BD979.jpeg

Some impressive weaponry on that back wall!

Don’t be fooled. That’s the kids armory. It’s all air soft, bb, or pellet. They’ll break the skin, but that’s about it.

Ever since the good ole days of River Rock GA riding with Donald Hadden in his big block powered S10 bouncer, I've loved them.
Build it tough, build it right. You got a helluva thing started!

About had me going crazy for a moment...
Thought some grab your wheels and tires...
Went back and figured it out.
What size wheels are you going to use next?

About had me going crazy for a moment...
Thought some grab your wheels and tires...
Went back and figured it out.
What size wheels are you going to use next?

Wheels will be 17” aluminum beadlocks and the tires will be in the 42-43” sticky variety. I’m still about a year out on making those decisions. Right now it’s all about the tons.

I'd pass on the front diff anyway. Whoever set it up is a complete hack.

If only there was a way to look back, like on a build thread, to find out exactly who he’s referring to...

FedEx dropped off lots of purple parts today! Yukon spool, 5.13 thick cut gears, 12 new R&P bolts, and the master install kit. ECGS got me headed in the right direction for my 14 bolt.
7D536A4B-FF47-4242-B0D0-6C306A2C15B8.jpeg

Back