97 ZJ alarm help

marty79

getting to work on this ZJ build and it's really annoying having to push this, what appears to be aftermarket switch, under the driver dash button in order to start this thing. starts every time if I push it otherwise the hazards and lights go off. I've been reading about a module behind the glove box can be unplugged and done...anyone confirm this?? I know these 97s can be little quirky with electrical issues and computer problems but right now everything else works as it should so not wanting to "create" more issues by unplugging crap.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Is there a bypass under the dash that grounds out the factory alarm? The factory alarm is a real issue wit these ZJs, and grounding it out is the best fix. You may be able to permanently ground it out and bypass that little switch if this is the case. Got any pics? Also NAGCA.com is a great place to do research on a ZJ.

Is this your new offroad rig?

Is this your new offroad rig?
yes it is. Im exited to build it since I've only ever built XJs. best part is 142k miles, helped a guy build a shed for it, has 3.5" RE lift on it so good platform. completely rust free too

Take off the aftermarket alarm. The factory NEVER had any sort of dash switch to disarm.

All ZJ aftermarket alarms work the same. They splice into the ignition wire in the steering column

Take off non OEM crap, splice the yellow wire back together, rock on.
cool that's what it seemed like. thank you sir

Is there a bypass under the dash that grounds out the factory alarm?
yeah like Jody pointed out, seemed someone put this switch in to push it to start. I'm impressed that all other electronics work well on it so far so hopefully it will remain that way after it starts getting pounded on haha

I love ZJs, and good or bad, I have made plenty of mistakes with mine over the years. Do you have a build thread yet? If not I would love to see some pictures

I love ZJs, and good or bad, I have made plenty of mistakes with mine over the years. Do you have a build thread yet? If not I would love to see some pictures
I'm exited about it for sure. I might do build thread when i get closer to finishing it. Lots of plans for this one. Turbo got one from Audi (why not always wanted to), super 60,14bolt, 4link front and rear this time, 4"lift LOG on 42s is height plan, half doors, and "hopefully" a real cage (can't promise on the real cage haha). I'm building/modifying my 97xj DD to fix and sell too so that's got money tied up lol but a lot of that sale will be most of the build parts when that's done and looking at buying a trailer too Sunday to start building...whew...and I'm working on building credit also so I can buy a house come fall time whew yeah that's about it (honestly can't wait for the time change for more daylight lol

Audi turbo, eh? I hope you got about 3 of them. I would have to look at a compressor map for the k04 turbo but I would think even twin k04s wouldnt make much power on a 4.0.

Audi turbo, eh? I hope you got about 3 of them. I would have to look at a compressor map for the k04 turbo but I would think even twin k04s wouldnt make much power on a 4.0.
Hey I never stated a bunch a gains, little turbo that spools quick with other mods will help turn some rpms . Didn't really pay for the turbo so why not.

Hey I never stated a bunch a gains, little turbo that spools quick with other mods will help turn some rpms.

Have fun. Let us know what happens after you do all the work to integrate the turbo and do the fuel system tuning without finding out whether the turbo can support enough flow for an engine with twice the displacement and much lower volumetric efficiency than the Audi it came from.

Because the turbo was free.

Last edited:
Have fun. Let us know what happens after you do all the work to integrate the turbo and do the fuel system tuning without finding out whether the turbo can support enough flow for an engine with twice the displacement and much lower volumetric efficiency than the Audi it came from.

Because the turbo was free.
It's more of a "tinker" kinda of thing for future planning of work more than anything but for me, it's just for fun. How hard is it really to integrate a turbo into the 4.0 downpipe...not hard at all on a crawler since we're not worried about space and looks and such. 24lb injectors are easy to find at the bone yard, fuel pressure regulators are cheap, head and intake porting to match the gaskets I like doing anyways, stock ignition system with 24lb injectors can handle about 5-6psi of boost, 7 is pushing it but for what little fabrication is required to bolt a turbo in the air box space and gain a little hp to me that's worth it. motors getting freshened up anyways, maybe half a day to actually mount the turbo and run the pipe into the exhaust is easy work. I could be happy with 5lb of boost for what little work is involved...then if I feel i want to step it up, get a bigger turbo and have the ECM tuned for it. This is last on the build list anyways.

It's more of a "tinker" kinda of thing for future planning of work more than anything but for me, it's just for fun. How hard is it really to integrate a turbo into the 4.0 downpipe...not hard at all on a crawler since we're not worried about space and looks and such. 24lb injectors are easy to find at the bone yard, fuel pressure regulators are cheap, head and intake porting to match the gaskets I like doing anyways, stock ignition system with 24lb injectors can handle about 5-6psi of boost, 7 is pushing it but for what little fabrication is required to bolt a turbo in the air box space and gain a little hp to me that's worth it. motors getting freshened up anyways, maybe half a day to actually mount the turbo and run the pipe into the exhaust is easy work. I could be happy with 5lb of boost for what little work is involved...then if I feel i want to step it up, get a bigger turbo and have the ECM tuned for it. This is last on the build list anyways.
Hell yeah man! Full boost at 900rpm and 2000* egt by 3500rpm

I could see a low boost, small turbo helping a 4.0 greatly.

Maybe a cold air intake to keep the egt in check, larger injectors, and just turning the distributor a little to adjust the timing.....

I agree, maybe a half days work to get it installed and running correctly!

Intercooler?
Still researching to figure out if I really need it for testing purposes.
could see a low boost, small turbo helping a 4.0 greatly.
I agree. No different than bolting on 20hp worth of stuff but without all that cost...at first. No adjustment on timing with distributor on these

I could see a low boost, small turbo helping a 4.0 greatly.

Maybe a cold air intake to keep the egt in check, larger injectors, and just turning the distributor a little to adjust the timing.....

I agree, maybe a half days work to get it installed and running correctly!
Lol. That's good stuff.

Wait, you are joking right?

John, ditch the turbo. Spend your time and money on plating the unibody, especially with those big axles and tires. Then concentrate on a cage, that unibody will flex so much that your doors won’t shut after a while. My advice is a hybrid cage that is both exo and interior, check out my build thread and the cage I had on my second ZJ

Spend your time and money on plating the unibody, especially
C'mon man you should know by now. That's the first things that get done before anything. Working on winch bumper now then frame rails.
Like I said, the turbo is a tinker idea when it's done

Back