Gear pattern Advice

thecj3man

55373A0F-BDE4-4A2D-AD59-847F6B042F89.jpeg
CF89F8F2-16C6-402E-8780-1194696389BB.jpeg
Setting up a new 9” third member to put in my old car. Everything is new except the locker. I was pretty happy with the pattern, but also undecided if I should move the pinion depth a little to try and center the contact. Thanks for any advice.

The backlash is 0.011. The US Gear instructions say 0.008-0.012. I tried to go a little tighter, but if I go tight enough to get to the next set of adjusted holes the backlash is about 0.006.

I always set my yota 3rds up a little tighter than normal just so there is that much less deflection. The was a 98% trail rig with "rubber" gears tho so, plan accordingly.

Street car. I like the backlash not plum loose but middle ground. Higher rpm better oil distribution, less gear face heat, and maybe a little less rolling resistance.

Due to gear design of a 9" they like wider backlash .011 is good and that pattern is good.

Good decision on using a US gear - that is all we are using for 9" with excellent results

Good decision on using a US gear - that is all we are using for 9" with excellent results

The US Gear was reccomended by Strange. The US Gear wasn’t that much more than the eBay special gears. I used their third member and pinion support so I figured I would use their preferred gear set. I am very happy with everything I got from Strange.

I am very happy with everything I got from Strange.

I used to enjoy getting some Strange too years ago. But after a while, when you almost call her by the wrong name the next mor-...wait, what were we talking about? :lol:

Damn nice pattern though. I'd run that all day!

Back