BigClay's TJ

camper weighs 2600 pounds

Dry and empty or loaded for the weekend? There is over 2k pounds of stuff in our camper when it's dry/empty vs loaded with groceries, fuel, and water.

Len barrel rolled a similar setup on route 1 on the way back from Uwharrie when a rear tire let go. You should scale it fully loaded, trailer, Jeep, etc, to make sure you're not overloaded.

these have internal jounces, bags can handle 5000 pounds and go up to 100psi

Mine are similar.

Dry and empty or loaded for the weekend? There is over 2k pounds of stuff in our camper when it's dry/empty vs loaded with groceries, fuel, and water.

Len barrel rolled a similar setup on route 1 on the way back from Uwharrie when a rear tire let go. You should scale it fully loaded, trailer, Jeep, etc, to make sure you're not overloaded.

Mine are similar.

Getting it weighed is a good idea. I bet I can find a scale on the way back from AOP

Getting it weighed is a good idea. I bet I can find a scale on the way back from AOP
before you hook the trailer up to it, run it up to the landfill off Hanes Mill Rd. They've got scales there with a big display. See what the weight is just the truck and loaded camper. We can stop at a loves or pilot on the way back and weigh the whole thing

I would definitely get it weighed before you try to drive it to Tennessee.

Ya'll got me nervous now, but good thing for the tow to TN is I am going without any water in the camper, so that will save me a lot of weight. If I am heavy on the scales, looks like a smaller camper is in my future, or better yet, a dually conversion! :D:rockon:

Last edited:
There are two things that might be saving you - the weight-distributing hitch on the trailer, and the camper distributes its weight further forward in the truck bed. Both will transfer some weight to the front tires.

My guess is that the camper weighs 3500# loaded, and you've got 500# of pin weight from the trailer. The open question is how much of that weight is on which axle.

There are two things that might be saving you - the weight-distributing hitch on the trailer, and the camper distributes its weight further forward in the truck bed. Both will transfer some weight to the front tires.

My guess is that the camper weighs 3500# loaded, and you've got 500# of pin weight from the trailer. The open question is how much of that weight is on which axle.

I just realized I didn't hit save on my edit to my post above until right now. I certainly don't want to have any issues, so I will be weighing the truck and camper at the scales at the dump like Troy suggested, that will at least give me some actual numbers and then I can go from there.

Had to scroll back to see what the Weight problem was. Good Idea! Most landfills & scrap yards, have scales, & rock quarry's. Truck stops like Love's generally charge $10 to weigh. Happy Trails to You!

So.... what's that piggy weigh?

Totally forgot to post back in here. 10,700 with me in it and the camper fully stocked.

How much on the rear axle? Probably... 5500?

That's without the trailer?

I weighed my Dodge truck here on the scales at my work. It has been several years, but I think it weighed 6,700-6,800 lbs with just a hair over 4,000 lbs on the front tires. That left about 2,600 lbs on the rear axle.

How much on the rear axle? Probably... 5500?

That's without the trailer?

Yep, without the trailer. I am not sure on just the rear, they didn't let me stop half way, and plus it was a ramp up to and off of the scale so it might have been skewed anyway.

It seems like I am in the "safe zone" with obviously a dually being ideal, but I it doesn't seem like I am in a "chevy luv hauling an excavator in the bed" type of situation hopefully

Holyshit that's a heavy pig.

That's gotta be a dry weight. The truck has to weigh about 8k with nothing in it. The total loaded weight is only a little bit above what he listed the dry/empty weight of the camper to be.

That's gotta be a dry weight. The truck has to weigh about 8k with nothing in it. The total loaded weight is only a little bit above what he listed the dry/empty weight of the camper to be.

My Dodge weighs 8k unloaded so I'd bet his truck is a little bit lighter than mine. Truck and Trailer empty weight ~11K

My Dodge weighs 8k unloaded so I'd bet his truck is a little bit lighter than mine. Truck and Trailer empty weight ~11K

Nevermind, that's a gas motor truck, isn't it?

The 10,700 is dry weight of the camper (with all of my gear in there) and a full tank of gas in the truck and with my 300 lb self in the driver seat. Mine is a gas V10 with the NV4500 and the SRW Dana 80 rear end

I'm in winston today. Did I see you drive your tj down university parkway? It was about 230

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back