Questions about a dually axle swap

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
I am looking to swap the rear single wheel axle in my 4x4 1996 dodge ram 2500 for a dual rear wheel.

I have found a 2001 dual rear wheel axle with disc brakes from a 2wd truck.

I have a few questions.
  • Will the fact that this rear axle is from a 2wd and my truck is a 4wd matter?
  • Since my current rear axle is drum brakes, what will I need to replace in the braking system to ensure the new rear disc brakes work as they should? Will I need to replace master cylinder and get rid of the factory combination valve and get an adjustable proportioning valve?
  • Will I have ABS issues?
  • What else should I consider?
Thanks for any suggestions/tips/tricks

Discs require more fluid volume than drums. I'd be prepared to replace the MC and any associated parts (distribution valves, etc) with the appropriate disc brake rear parts.

I am looking to swap the rear single wheel axle in my 4x4 1996 dodge ram 2500 for a dual rear wheel.

I have found a 2001 dual rear wheel axle with disc brakes from a 2wd truck.

I have a few questions.
  • Will the fact that this rear axle is from a 2wd and my truck is a 4wd matter?
No, only thing I could see different is shock mounts. If that's the case then I have a welder and can make some brackets.
  • Since my current rear axle is drum brakes, what will I need to replace in the braking system to ensure the new rear disc brakes work as they should? Will I need to replace master cylinder and get rid of the factory combination valve and get an adjustable proportioning valve?
Master is gonna be a min requirement ($80-100 from a quick Google for a big bore for disc), is your truck hydroboost (I hope it is, if not that's a good upgrade I'd grab).
  • Will I have ABS issues?
As long as the hook up is the same I don't think so. Both should have a carrier mounted tone ring.
  • What else should I consider?
Thanks for any suggestions/tips/tricks

Replies in Red, only other thing that might be worthwhile is a front brake upgrade.

only other thing that might be worthwhile is a front brake upgrade.

Since you're replacing parts and going to 17" wheels anyway, you can go with the bigger front rotors that the later model trucks got. It should make a difference, but the drive axle brakes do a massive amount of work when you're loaded. The fronts probably do more in an absolute sense, but since they're larger, they also do a better job of shedding heat. If you cook a set of pads, it'll be on the drive axle first.

Replies in Red, only other thing that might be worthwhile is a front brake upgrade.

As far as front brakes, I already put EBC dimple and slotted rotors and I believe their yellow stuff pads.

Yeah but's that's a 1/2 ton to dually swap, Clay already has a 2500.
If you don't understand, you won't understand. In a different way, he was kinda our Fuller before there was Fuller.

wow :eek:, I never saw that thread
Not surprised. It's from the year before you joined ;)

And I really only dug it up here for us old timers to laugh and reminisce.

If you don't understand, you won't understand. In a different way, he was kinda our Fuller before there was Fuller.

I knew Ricky from outside of the Forum from my High School mud pit/racing days. He's an interesting glitter chigger.

I knew Ricky from outside of the Forum from my High School mud pit/racing days. He's an interesting glitter chigger.
Thank you @Chris_Keziah and Urban Dictionary:
Glitter Chigger
A male who wears skinny jeans, cowboy boots, and drives around in a lifted vehicle. Often found in a nailsalon or gym but never on a farm. Listens to country music and claims hes not a city boy, but has never gotten his boots dirty and screams at the sight of bugs. The male version of a mud cricket.

Back