Project Steampunk

Nova’s are not my cup of tea but I believe 73 was the introduction of the Hatchback. So it’s not a 72. Factory motors would have been 6cyl, 307 or 350.

Would be the last year of the power glide so that’s a possibility.

From the pic and accessory bolt hole orientation or whatever there called looks like a 87< smallblock or could be a 66< big block. Good luck

2001fce1a04897885735b0a7106c9a03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's no smallblock. Look at the port size/shape, and specifically the valve spring orientation. It's a big block all day long.

Last edited:
Any 4x4, or 1920 thru 1950's? I can't resist not asking.

Great info here. Not to make anyone sick to their stomach but I only paid $25 a piece of these cars. if at very worst some of the other lesser valuable ones end up only being scrapped, I still came out ahead. But considering what they are I don't have the heart to scrap any of these things. I'd rather part out.
I'm going back to the lady's house today to do some more work and I'll make an effort to pop the hood on the Skylark and do some more verification on the others.
Any advice or technical info is greatly appreciated.

You need to go ahead and start another thread, and get some of these posts moved over. I have a feeling there will be lots of discussion here that you dont want cluttering up your jeep thread.

And if I had time or energy for a project...

Agreed you should start another thread for this. What’s the chances that this lady still has the titles to some of these cars?

You could be looking at selling some of the cars easily for a few hundred to $1500 for some of them.

As far as this build thread goes, it will continue and a lot more will be done to it, but I'm almost to the point of calling this platform done. In reality I will probably never stop building this Jeep. For right now I have something I'm extremely happy with in street handling and performance. I kind of pulled a few ideas out of my ass and put everything together and got extremely lucky as to how well it works thus far. This will be on the trails very very soon.

I'm certainly glad I picked NC4x4 to post this build thread to start with. Incredible amount of knowledge here and the best audience you'll ever find in any online forum! I'll looked around for many years.

You certainly just stumbled into a nice little boost of extra money to put into the Jeep!

Ok.
7c8cd17e11837246cf8e4d86f009507a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:rolleyes: I saw that...but I was going off of the "that looks like...but could be..." statement. :flipoff2::smokin:

:beer: We could both use one of these. :lol:

Damn @XJsavage , that's a helluva deal! Great find. I might have to figure out a way to get my asses down to SC to build up a fire-breathing big block for a future project.

^What he said. I know the market used to be strong for VWs, not sure if it still is. I'd bet you could make dividends off of either a part-out, or even as-is on some of them. I could see you building something like the "dung beetle" from the 405 guys. :smokin:

I seriously miss that smell of weld smoke and fresh cut steel in the air...damn, you're making me want to go back to my fab shop days. Or just get my ass in the garage...one of these months, I keep telling myself.

Yeah... Argon, propane, grinding discs, NOS, acetylene.... It's pretty awesome. :D
I seriously like the interior of that shop. It reeks of experience and hard work.

You see the sound system in my build thread? It rocks out! $100 on Amazon, and I couldn’t be happier with it.

One thing I really REALLY need is a decent sound system in the Jeep. Lately I've been driving the jeep quiet regularly. There are some days where I pick the Yukon to get to and from work. Mostly, because I can get my few minute dose of music. It's very therapeutic for me.
Sound vibrations can get your heart in sync with your mind, and that's a potent combination.

I was thinking the other day, "I need to put some noise in this contraption". The Lawson muffled 5.3 is a thing of beauty, especially with a manual.

So I guess I'll be looking at Marine grade speakers and head unit. It better be good....and it better be loud, because this fool loves the open road and some heavy metal.
I'm still not sure what I just watched, but I'm glad @YJJPWrangler pointed it out.

I'm still not sure what I just watched, but I'm glad @YJJPWrangler pointed it out.
I'm not sure what was more intriguing....the landscape and environment or the inhabitants. The rest was just a rythmic background. Systematically spooky and stimulating. That's some strange cold chills.

Back