The Bent Trailer Rebuild

89wrangler

Not a new member
Going to attempt fix my trailer which was fubar'd after a dumnass hit it while turning into my driveway back in October. my insurance company told him that it was his fault and refused to pay for his car. Of course his insurance company denied my claim saying I was at fault. The guy who hit me then sued me for $10k. I counter sued him for $5500 to cover my losses. Went to court and I won. Then get a letter in mail they are appealing. So now i have to go to arbitration at end of next month and then to a jury trial after that. Who knows when it will be settled. I need my trailer and tired of borrowing one so going to repair this one.

Replacing 64" of frame, two 3500 Dexter axles, all new spring hangers, shackles, bolts, fenders and lights. Maybe even some new paint.

Accident scene. Removed trailer completely off of truck. Also took out my brick mailbox
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
o

Doesn’t look that back deck on, but with boards off...
5B9A6344-101F-4DE5-A974-109638EDB3D6.jpeg

4061D091-79B1-4A6E-92FB-AE9E60ACBCA6.jpeg

Removed 3 of the cross braces cut off dovetail section.
9FBBBE89-888E-4731-A730-B427B16E9BB8.jpeg

4298D86D-9C93-45A6-B256-E363A2C967A7.jpeg

Picking up some 3x5” angle next week and will splice it in after removing bent pieces. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
I'm sure it was covered but how could they not cover your trailer. He hit you from behind, his fault plain and simple. The person running into the back of someone is always at fault.

It wasn’t a rearend he got t-boned by jabruncle in a drop top 5.0 as @89wrangler was pulling from the roadway across an oncoming lane of travel to get into his residential drive. It’s a few pages back in the “things that suck ass” thread.

Sorry to hear about the incident.

Based on my line of work, this is my $0.015 worth:

Since this case has not been settled, be very careful what is posted on line.
Digital has a habit of finding its way to the court room.

Best of wishes trying to get this resolved.

Yea, just posting facts as they are up to date. He had plenty of time and distance to slow down or stop. Still not sure why he waited until he was 80' away to apply the breaks, unless he was distracted with a phone or something. If he would have just heeded the warning sign to slow down to 35 mph ( or at least 45) he would have avoided the accident..Just saying.

Judging by those long fawkin' skid marks on the pavement in that second pic right before where he smacked your trailer, duder must have been flying...really sucks, man. Hope it all works out.

Crazy that he tried suing and is now appealing it. I assume you're got a lawyer in place, and a good one at that.

Who did the police report say was at fault?

Some progress.
got the angle and overlapped the joint 12"
trailer7.jpg

used a string to make sure it was straight and level and welded it up
trailer6.jpg

Welded top, bottom, and both ends. And yes I no they are not the prettiest, but confident they will do the job.
trailer9.jpg

trailer8.jpg

Both sides welded on and rear brace in. Measurements are dead on all the way back. Going to install the other two braces and flip over to install the spring hanger brackets making sure the square to the front of the trailer.
trailer5.jpg

Had to mow grass last night, but still go the rest of the cross braces cut and welded in. hopefully back on some wheels by the end of the weekend,
trailer10.jpg

trailer11.jpg

Looks like its on wheels :D Might wanna add some tires though!!!

I was thinking...Hmm maybe two big old wide rims and some 50 series tires instead of 4 little skinny ones!

Hey Steve... you needed a new project! Kinda makes me warm & fuzzy to see someone fixed you up with one! :D

Just like new... and nice work as always! :)

Hey Don, i got your warm and fuzzy.. :flipoff2: Good to hear from you..I think :D

Got most of the trailer wrapped up yesterday. Still need to install tail lights, make some fold up ramps and fenders, but it is rolling!

New brackets and new spring bushings

trailer13.jpg

flipped trailer over to weld on brackets, then mounted axles
trailer14.jpg

Some tires finally
trailer15.jpg

re-attach the dove tail section
trailer16.jpg

trailer17.jpg

Floor boards.
trailer12.jpg

trailer18.jpg

Got some materials at work to build some fenders
6C4858E9-2481-4AFF-9E86-4468FF9F3A7F.jpeg

View attachment 294427
54950288-324B-462F-B844-45FE8E055BD7.jpeg

88137070-4CA1-4306-9AFD-7E6FA6B4CB49.jpeg

Got 25% off the new tongue box at harbor freight
B03913D4-49B9-47DE-A39A-039A2FC67A5E.jpeg

Attachments

• C2E33E8D-D8B8-4E63-97D4-7D4641AE0005.jpeg
    C2E33E8D-D8B8-4E63-97D4-7D4641AE0005.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Little update on this. I Finished up the wiring, added new safety chains, two new tires and a rim and moved the ramps from under the trailer to the back. Still have to make my spare tires mounts and add some feet to the ramps to keep trailer for squatting while loading. At least it is usable again!

trailer 20.jpg
trailer 21.jpg
Trailer 22.jpg

another solution if you dont want to add the feet to the ramps is add this type jack to each rear corner. it allows for unlevel area loading and full support of trailer when loading and then you can rotate them up when towing or take them off and put them in box at front

8DDF6_AS01

Back