Saddest Book/Movie?

Cherokeekid88

I'm not one to really watch sad stuff, but this got me thinking the other day. It seems when I was a kid, I was exposed to all these sad movies/books, usually in school and one in particular has stuck with me and have not watched this movie since I first saw it when I was in 4th grade, although I think about it a lot.
That book/movie would be "Where the Red Fern Grows"

We had been assigned to read the book and then watch the movie and compare. That story really did something to me, so much so that I have avoided re-reading/re-watching it.

For anyone that doesn't know the story, it really is a good read/watch. Now that I am older, It means a lot more to me than it did and also represents more now.

What are some books/movies that really had an impact on you because of how sad it was?

I'm not one to really watch sad stuff, but this got me thinking the other day. It seems when I was a kid, I was exposed to all these sad movies/books, usually in school and one in particular has stuck with me and have not watched this movie since I first saw it when I was in 4th grade, although I think about it a lot.
That book/movie would be "Where the Red Fern Grows"

We had been assigned to read the book and then watch the movie and compare. That story really did something to me, so much so that I have avoided re-reading/re-watching it.

For anyone that doesn't know the story, it really is a good read/watch. Now that I am older, It means a lot more to me than it did and also represents more now.

What are some books/movies that really had an impact on you because of how sad it was?

I seen the title and came in here to post that. My daughter is 12 and I have an old VHS of that movie and I have been debating when to get her to watch it. Ole Yeller was kind of a tear jerker too, of course I like dogs more than most people.

Where the Red Fern Grows always got me. Bridge to Terabithia was another. As far as movies are concerned...my allergies always act up with We are Marshall when they all gather on the lawn to keep the board from shit canning the program. Recently...had my nieces over for a slumber party...and they wanted to watch a movie called 'The Stray'...I balled my eyes out when that dog got hit by lightning...and then it gets you again because you're sitting there thinking he'll get resuscitated and he doesn't.

I seen the title and came in here to post that. My daughter is 12 and I have an old VHS of that movie and I have been debating when to get her to watch it. Ole Yeller was kind of a tear jerker too, of course I like dogs more than most people.

"Where the Red Fern Grows" was the first book that made me cry. My 8-yo brought it home from the school library about a month ago and I knew it was coming because she reacts like I do about animals. Got me in the feels when she came and found me doing yard work for comfort. I usually recommend the book first.

"Where the Red Fern Grows" was the first book that made me cry. My 8-yo brought it home from the school library about a month ago and I knew it was coming because she reacts like I do about animals. Got me in the feels when she came and found me doing yard work for comfort. I usually recommend the book first.

I will order her a copy, thanks.

Where the Red Fern Grows is a classic. I actually got it for my 7 year old for Christmas. We haven’t finished reading it yet cause we are reading it together and I’m a slacker. It was always one to choke me up

One Second After is absolutely terrifying to me personally. It’s part of a 3 series story, I’ve mentioned it before in another thread. It messed me up and I think about it almost daily because of the “what if” factor. It’s such a real possibility and we are not prepared. While it is that scary to me, it’s still an excellent read that I highly recommend.

Where the Red Fern Grows is a classic. I actually got it for my 7 year old for Christmas. We haven’t finished reading it yet cause we are reading it together and I’m a slacker. It was always one to choke me up

One Second After is absolutely terrifying to me personally. It’s part of a 3 series story, I’ve mentioned it before in another thread. It messed me up and I think about it almost daily because of the “what if” factor. It’s such a real possibility and we are not prepared. While it is that scary to me, it’s still an excellent read that I highly recommend.
Amen to what if......but doesn't make me sad. More fired up and mad. Then abruptly reminded to the fragility and importance of being productive and enjoying every day in our luxury.

Books- Any of the mentioned books with dogs, and also My side of the mountain (loved it as a kid)

Movies- Tombstone and the newer I am legend.

Even though it will kill me, I plan on watching it with my daughter when she is old enough to understand. My wife has not seen it and don’t think she ever will, but I wonder if it is something that just needs to be watched in order to experience that side of your emotions. I believe whole heartedly that movie is what made me sensitive towards animals. I’d rather watch the notebook on repeat and during bathroom breaks be forced to watch the video messages scene in “Interstellar” before watching any movie about a dog.

Back