Saddest Book/Movie?

Just watched the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga version of A Star is Born.
It'll get ya too.

Anything to do with dogs makes my allergies act up pretty much immediately.
I've not seen that one. I've been sorta wanting to though.

American Sniper...Lone Survivor...Hurt Locker...

The ones with dogs will get me boo-hooing though. The beginning of John Wick. I'd track down some m'fers too for hurting my dog, too.

I'm not one to really watch sad stuff, but this got me thinking the other day. It seems when I was a kid, I was exposed to all these sad movies/books, usually in school and one in particular has stuck with me and have not watched this movie since I first saw it when I was in 4th grade, although I think about it a lot.
That book/movie would be "Where the Red Fern Grows"

We had been assigned to read the book and then watch the movie and compare. That story really did something to me, so much so that I have avoided re-reading/re-watching it.

For anyone that doesn't know the story, it really is a good read/watch. Now that I am older, It means a lot more to me than it did and also represents more now.

What are some books/movies that really had an impact on you because of how sad it was?

I second that thats one of the saddest. Right there with ol yeller and Marley and me. I love to read, and often read the same book two or three times to digest it all, but those are one timers.

The ones with dogs will get me boo-hooing though. The beginning of John Wick. I'd track down some m'fers too for hurting my dog, too.

The only tears I shed for “The Hurt Locker” is for how terrible of a movie it is! I wouldn’t even let a blind person “hear” the movie so they wouldn’t have the wrong impression of the Army.
Lone Survivor and American sniper though, onion cutting ninjas always seem to infiltrate the room.

Saddest Book - The Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield about the battle of Thermopylae. I've read it, on average, once a year for the past six years or so. Gets me every time.

Movie - I dunno. Have you guys ever seen Steve Carrel's last episode on the Office? :(

The only tears I shed for “The Hurt Locker” is for how terrible of a movie it is!

The only good part of that movie was when he returns home and is standing in the cereal aisle looking at the rows of boxes. That simple moment was the most powerful.

I second that thats one of the saddest. Right there with ol yeller and Marley and me. I love to read, and often read the same book two or three times to digest it all, but those are one timers.
I haven't seen Ol Yeller or Marley and Me. Probably never will.

I think I might have posted this somewhere before but, another thing that is right up there with Where the Red Fern Grows is the poem that Jimmy Stewart wrote called " A Dog named Beau"

He read it on the Jonny Carson show.

And to watch a grown ass man read this is heartbreaking.

.....damn allergies....

I didnt really get sad in american sniper.

I did cry watching the first part of John Wick though. It takes low life scum to kill a mans dog like that.

I didnt really get sad in american sniper.

I did cry watching the first part of John Wick though. It takes low life scum to kill a mans dog like that.
Wow, glad I found this our about John Wick. Been wanting to catch up on these since the 3rd is coming out. Might just have to skip the first few minutes of the first one and continue on.

American Sniper is rough for me. I watched it once, and I’ve tried again but I get real leaky and bothered. Knowing what those guys go thru and having a few close veteran friends that have shared many struggles with me, it just gets all too real for me and rips me apart. Idk why it bothers me so much, maybe I’m just a pansy.

Movie. Home from the Hill. Haven't seen it in a while but always thought it was one of the best Dramas I'd ever watched.

Book, the Children of Hurin. By Tolkien.
I mostly read SF/Fantasy and History.

Last edited:
The only tears I shed for “The Hurt Locker” is for how terrible of a movie it is! I wouldn’t even let a blind person “hear” the movie so they wouldn’t have the wrong impression of the Army.
Lone Survivor and American sniper though, onion cutting ninjas always seem to infiltrate the room.

:lol: onion cutting ninjas...nice!

What I was referring to about the Hurt Locker was the very end...that drive to go back again and again, no matter how shitty the experience. Since I know you (and many others here) have the "been there, done that" attached to your chest (and in the heart and mind) just as I do, I'll spare the details. All I'll say is that on many more occasions than I care to count, I've had that unbending desire to go back to a war zone, even though my service time has long ended. Then I look at my family and feel like an asshole. Same thing with American Sniper.

American Sniper is rough for me. I watched it once, and I’ve tried again but I get real leaky and bothered. Knowing what those guys go thru and having a few close veteran friends that have shared many struggles with me, it just gets all too real for me and rips me apart. Idk why it bothers me so much, maybe I’m just a pansy.

Exactly this. Wifey won't let me watch any "modern war" movies (basically anything past Full Metal Jacket) just because she's afraid it's going to flip a switch in me. I lost an EOD buddy in Afghanistan (RIP Tron, I f'in love you brother), and a number of other friends in Iraq. My cousin was a Blackhawk pilot in an Army SF unit...he's got the same twisted desires I do. He even got divorced over it, since his (ex)wife couldn't take it anymore. We ran into each other oddly enough in Iraq...that was an odd place for a "family reunion." I didn't see him again until our grandmother passed away in February this year. He laughed and said it was nice to meet somewhere other than the wild wild west...we both laughed, then got that stare. I guess we were both reading each others minds.

Wow, glad I found this our about John Wick. Been wanting to catch up on these since the 3rd is coming out. Might just have to skip the first few minutes of the first one and continue on.

Dont skip it man. Its rough, but the first 20 minutes lays the foundation. Youll be lost without it.

Band of brothers is another one. If you watch the whole series it’s hard to not get caught up in it esp knowing it’s based on real events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has been a few that have gotten my allergies to act up over the years, but I think the one that sticks out the worst is a movie that isnt particularly good but it is a depressing mother fucker of a film. AI, its got the kid from the 6th Sense and he is playing a robot. There are more than a few sad parts but the end where he spends one last day with his mom, damn its hard one.

Well..I'll blame seeing this movie on the fact that I live with 3 ladies....

The fault in the stars.

They all cried..I dont cry.

Sad movie
The fault in *our* stars. Went with my wife to see it in theater. I cried too. Damn allergies.

Back