Brakes for 2012 Suburban 1500

orange150

For the wifes Suburban; I'm going to replace the pads and rotors up front, hopefully just pads rear. Looks like RockAuto carries AC Delco and Powerstop. Is there a preference either way? The vehicle does 98% mom duties and 2% truck duties (most I've towed is our JD 820).

Depends on the Powerstop line. There's at least 3 lines to choose from at RockAuto. Powerstop seems to be a little hit-or-miss for proper fit, but they're usually on the cheap side of what I usually get so that's somewhat expected. I've only used the Z23 and wasn't especially impressed, but I guess they were decent for the price.

Also look into the Akebono pads, which are usually excellent daily driver pads but I've never used them on a vehicle that size. Akebono is a major OEM pad supplier for most of the automakers. They're my default choice for daily street pads for almost everything, because I've had such consistent performance from them and they're pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
Depends on the Powerstop line. There's at least 3 lines to choose from at RockAuto.
I guess that's part of my question: is it worth it to go from "Daily Driver" or "Coated" to "Premium" to "Heavy Duty". Is there really that big of a difference? Does a 98% soccer mom vehicle need more than the Daily Driver / Coated brakes?

I guess that's part of my question: is it worth it to go from "Daily Driver" or "Coated" to "Premium" to "Heavy Duty". Is there really that big of a difference? Does a 98% soccer mom vehicle need more than the Daily Driver / Coated brakes?

I was referring to the pads with the 3 different product lines, actually not the rotors.

The coated rotors aren't usually worth it in this climate zone, because of the lack of road salt. A painted or e-coated rotor will look better for longer though, versus the cheap bare rotors. Coated rotors are different, as the anti-corrosion coatings are more than just paint or e-coat.
Daily driver rotors are usually fine, and you likely don't need the differences in vane geometry, sometimes slightly different alloy, etc., that the heavy duty usually have (based on how you said it gets used). Often the premium (sometimes called daily driver, depending) are just a painted or e-coated version of the economy rotors, with no other changes (Centric Premium, for example). There's really no standardization of what you'll get in a certain product line based on the name.

So I would say to get a premium or daily driver-labeled rotor, if it's painted or e-coated and only a small incremental increase in price over the cheaper stuff. It doesn't sound like you need any more fancy than that.

That was totally helpful, wasn't it...? :D Just use your intuition and compare prices.

So no, I wouldn't spend the money on Powerstop rotors, unless they're relatively cheap. I don't think they're going to add anything useful for your needs.

After looking at the RockAuto rotor listings, anything in the Daily Driver category is fine. I've used Centric Premium, Bosch Quietcast, and AC Delco Professional (everything in that category), many times all with good results. For not too much more, you could just get the OEM AC Delco and know exactly what you're getting, but I don't think the extra money is generally worth compared to any other quality choice that doesn't come in an OEM box.

Last edited:
Just get a ceramic pad. No steel or organic steel mix. Don’t fade nearly as bad and don’t wear as fast as a aramid fiber pad.

Not sure if oem 1500 pads are ceramic, I know the 2500 oem pad is ceramic.

Also the main reason decent cold bite and no red brake dust that ruins alloy wheels.

I used cheap organic pads one time in my 4Runner when I worked at Napa in college.

2nd day with them, pulled up at work and the asst manager came outside with fire extinguisher as I parked. Front pass side pads were on fire. I no longer bought or sold anyone the low grade pads without adding the “ these catch on fire” disclaimer. Lol.

I bought OEM from Chevrolet for my wife’s 2912. I get a pretty good discount so I pay above parts store price but good stuff with new hardware included

I put the z36 powerstop kit on my wife's Excursion and it made a considerable difference. So much so that's all I use anymore. Love them and well worth the money.

I like powerstop in all flavors, haven't had any issues or problems across the 4-5 vehicles I've run them on.

Thanks for the replies y'all! I think I've got what I need to make a purchase. And I guess the automotive gods are laughing at me right now, because on top of her worn out and warped brakes, a rock flew up from a dump truck yesterday and broke her windshield :shaking:

That's what insurance is for! Unless you're like most people and have a 500 dollar deductible.

Back