Out of the off-road

anvilrubi

Got rid of all my jeeps even ditched my last Xj, got a guy coming to buy the commander next week. The only place to wheel close to home is Uwharrie and it’s a 3 hour drive. I love wheeling but between working out of state and family I’m thinking it’s time to maybe just take a break. Maybe just buy a gas gas ec300 and up my life insurance.

I know how you feel. My Jeep hasn’t seen a trail in 3 years or more. I just can’t get motivated to drive for 6 hours or more to some of the places people wheel. URE is only an hour away, but I haven’t been able to get motivated to go there either. I often think about selling it and getting a stock wrangler to just drive.

I’ve thought the same in the past. I just haven’t found the adrenaline rush anywhere else. I also like to wheel an entire weekend. Then that 3-6 hour drive is trivial.

I’m over 2.5 years (and counting) on a rig that should be very capable but will mostly see trips around town since this one will be street legalish. However, I look forward to the opportunity to get out and ride some good trails at least once (hopefully at least twice, spring and fall) and I don’t mind dragging it half a day or more to accomplish it.

We had to leave the SHOP and after that I was looking forward to driving it to wheel the Flats and driving home. Then the Flats closed. I’m just glad on this build I made sure to make it is somewhat drivable so I can run around town in a crazy looking Toyota on 40s

Last edited:
The last rig I had wheeled to east village grille in Asheville back to Wrightsville beach more than anywhere else

Same feeling here.. let my xj and yj go... I regret both since they would be good on the street but, there again, there's more "practical" vehicles (like f150 4dr). No where local to go really except lake Hauser and I don't like mud. I thought about maybe getting/making a sxs, more places to take it and easier to trailer and if it breaks, tow it home.. but it won't carry all 3 kids and me at the same time, so that's not as much fun though.

I haven’t trusted any of my personal rigs for about 5 years, haven’t done anything with any of them besides sling some mud on my own property in about 7 years. I still have delusions and collect parts like I’m gonna get back out there any day now. When someone says ‘hey, let’s plan a trip next year’...I get really excited, but also die a little on the inside because I know I’ll never make it.

Last edited:
My back is 2 screwed up to do any wheeling anymore, unless it's driving on a beach. I'm sadly going to sell the truck in my sig. that I've had since 85. Keeping the unicorn about stock and and it will be my off-road rig now.

Pick up the dirtbike. It scratches the offroad itch just fine. There are a ton on here that ride or used to ride. But honestly don't get a GasGas unless you have a good dealer nearby. Just grab a KTM 300XC or XCW and go rip. I work out of town a LOT and even when I am home, we are at my in-laws a ton working there. Its really easy to throw the bike in the bed and just go ride somewhere for a few hours. I miss the comradery of the long weekend wheelin trips, but we get a lot of the same with our group of guys I race with. Some weekends we race, but others its just trail riding and bs'ing. Racing just made it easy to work into the schedule as a specific time to go.

I'm 57, not in good health, but refuse to quit, until I absolutely have to. Many of those I used to ride with have quit, or, have moved over to the SXS's. I have been pulling levers to gain traction since I was 16 with my 48 Willy's. I took my kids when they were young. That carried on with one of my sons. He has 3 running/driving Jeeps. In many ways, I live through his experiences these days since he has got to go on trips that still yet remain on my bucket list. But it was his experiences with me, that got him where he is today.

The days of a day trip are about gone. The long weekend trips is where it's at, if you really want to wheel. Setting yourself up with a tow rig, a trailer, and a box with tools and spare parts, that's the common denominator of most folks who wheel now. The better you set yourself up, the more enjoyable a weekend is, with friends, or with family. And I am not talking about sinking 10's or even 100's of thousands into what it takes to get you there and back. I have a very simple slide in in my truck. At 56, I finally got a trailer built just for me.

For those thinking of getting out, I suggest getting into a group like the Carolina Trail Blazers. They have a trip/ride planned for every month. While they don't roll on the biggest tires, or the most modified rigs, they do get together, and they do have fun.

From the first big modifications to my old Jeep, I always said, the bigger badder you build them, the further you have to go to have fun. I have settled into this.
4-6 hours is the norm for me. but I usually leave out on a Wed or Thurs, and roll back towards home on Sunday.
Harlan, Windrock, Adventure offroad park, Choccolocco, BearWallow, Hatfield and McCoy's. And even more parks I have yet to explore.

Those of you with kids, best I can say is everyone needs to have something to do for fun. If not wheeling, then what? Pick and choose wisely, Pic something that will keep the kids off their phones, something that will help in raising them more well rounded.

I'm 57, not in good health, but refuse to quit, until I absolutely have to. Many of those I used to ride with have quit, or, have moved over to the SXS's. I have been pulling levers to gain traction since I was 16 with my 48 Willy's. I took my kids when they were young. That carried on with one of my sons. He has 3 running/driving Jeeps. In many ways, I live through his experiences these days since he has got to go on trips that still yet remain on my bucket list. But it was his experiences with me, that got him where he is today.

The days of a day trip are about gone. The long weekend trips is where it's at, if you really want to wheel. Setting yourself up with a tow rig, a trailer, and a box with tools and spare parts, that's the common denominator of most folks who wheel now. The better you set yourself up, the more enjoyable a weekend is, with friends, or with family. And I am not talking about sinking 10's or even 100's of thousands into what it takes to get you there and back. I have a very simple slide in in my truck. At 56, I finally got a trailer built just for me.

For those thinking of getting out, I suggest getting into a group like the Carolina Trail Blazers. They have a trip/ride planned for every month. While they don't roll on the biggest tires, or the most modified rigs, they do get together, and they do have fun.

From the first big modifications to my old Jeep, I always said, the bigger badder you build them, the further you have to go to have fun. I have settled into this.
4-6 hours is the norm for me. but I usually leave out on a Wed or Thurs, and roll back towards home on Sunday.
Harlan, Windrock, Adventure offroad park, Choccolocco, BearWallow, Hatfield and McCoy's. And even more parks I have yet to explore.

Those of you with kids, best I can say is everyone needs to have something to do for fun. If not wheeling, then what? Pick and choose wisely, Pic something that will keep the kids off their phones, something that will help in raising them more well rounded.
I feel the same way.

I never had any 4x4 growing up so I was late getting into the game. But for the last 19 years I have been wheeling and been part of CNC4x4 the entire time.

I have made some great friends in the community and the community is always willing to help each other out.

I have tried a lot different approaches to wheeling even being dumb and racing :) but to me the best is just taking a jeep and going on a 3 day trip with buddies. Wheeling, eating, hanging out etc.

Got rid of all my jeeps even ditched my last Xj, got a guy coming to buy the commander next week. The only place to wheel close to home is Uwharrie and it’s a 3 hour drive. I love wheeling but between working out of state and family I’m thinking it’s time to maybe just take a break. Maybe just buy a gas gas ec300 and up my life insurance.
How do you live in Tennessee and the closest place to wheel is URE?

The closest place for me to wheel and be a challenge is 6hrs away. I make a 3 day weekend out of it and its some of the best times I've ever had. The last trip was 7 hrs on the road one way and a whole day riding at chinquipin with my son. No other distractions no other place we had to be just me and him. I'll drive twice as far every weekend if I could to spend that time with him again if I had to.

1. How do you live in Tennessee and the closest place to wheel is URE?

The closest place for me to wheel and be a challenge is 6hrs away. I make a 3 day weekend out of it and its some of the best times I've ever had. The last trip was 7 hrs on the road one way and a whole day riding at chinquipin with my son. No other distractions no other place we had to be just me and him. I'll drive twice as far every weekend if I could to spend that time with him again if I had to.

Need to update back south of Fayetteville now

I’ve got the truck the trailer, buying a solid rig no problem, I just don’t have the time anymore. I put 85 hours on the sxs in two years.

I’ve got the truck the trailer, buying a solid rig no problem, I just don’t have the time anymore. I put 85 hours on the sxs in two years.

I understand the time aspect. So, just curious, what is taking up your time?

I can only speak for me, but
At one time in my life, I slowed down as well. Between work, kids, and so on, the time wasn't there very often. So, for me, what changed?

Debt got less, and the need to work so much lessoned.
Kids grew older, and their desire to be with friends, and so on, grew, so I found myself alone more and more.
I never really stopped wheeling. But when, where and for how long did change.
Sometimes about the only time I got to go wheeling was when it snowed. Snow day(s) from work and school, let me get out, shift into 4wd and go play.

I am as close, if not closer in a lot of cases, to my wheeling friends, than I am to family.
I have never met or been a part of any group, that is more there for you in bad times, or good times, than the folks that have become a part of my life through wheeling. We share a common bond, that holds us together. So, until the time comes that I just can not physically do it, I'm here. It's my outlet to what life throws at me.

Mostly work
How much work?
I work a rotating 12 hr 24/7 shift, side business at the house, 2 kids one is in Kindergarten and I still make at least 6 long weekend trips a year.

How much work?
I work a rotating 12 hr 24/7 shift, side business at the house, 2 kids one is in Kindergarten and I still make at least 6 long weekend trips a year.
:huggy:

I feel ya. From 07 til 2015 or 16 we had a group of about 6 of us from Fayetteville that wheeled together. Most in full size rigs. One of our group had access to a lake house on Tillery. We'd go there once a month from Friday after work til Sunday evening. Wheel ure all day Saturday, make a night run too. Spend Saturday evening and all day Sunday on the lake.

We'd make 2 or 3 trips to the flats or devil's playground, plus a big 4 day trip to Harlan every year and former military friends would meet us there from Indiana. We'd spend nights at the cabin around a fire bullshitting. It was awesome.

First one of our group moved to Wilmington for work. We didn't see him as much, then he moved to Charleston, and I haven't even spoken to him since Christmas. We went to highschool together and grew up in the same neighborhood.

Then the guy with the lake house quit wheeling. So our ure trips went back to just day trips. Then another in the group quit wheeling. He's in to rally and autocross now.

So now it's just me and Dad. It's not as fun just the two of us, because there's less shit talking and carrying on. He's been having to help my sister with her kids off and on when her husband who's military has had to go away for a few weeks here and there. So even we haven't been to ure but 2 or 3 times a year in the last 3 and no bigger trips. This year we've only been once and that was labor day weekend. This is the first time since 07 I haven't bought a year pass.

Dad and I both like the hot rod scene too, so we've been running out to car shows and did the power tour 1.5 times now. It's easier than wheeling it seems. Less likely to have major breakage too.

I don't plan on getting rid of my rig though. I can't sell it for anything near what I have in it. Hell I can't sell anything period, I usually have to beg people to just take it eventually LOL. If I did sell and wanted to get back in it, I believe it's going to cost even more to build again. I'll just hold on to it, maybe drop tire size down to make ure more fun when I need more tires. Then if I do get back in it fully I'm ahead of the game, even if I decide to go buggy I can use lots of parts off it.

I may look into some of the groups like @upnover posted about too. That may help respark the wheeling bug.

The cost for a weekend trip slowly weened me out of it. Back in the day it wasn't an issue to drop 500 bucks to go wheeling for a weekend. Now I can think of a lot of other things I can do with 500 bucks.

I think this goes for a lot of guys, myself included. Reassignment of discretionary income plays a big role in being active in this hobby.

The cost for a weekend trip slowly weened me out of it. Back in the day it wasn't an issue to drop 500 bucks to go wheeling for a weekend. Now I can think of a lot of other things I can do with 500 bucks.
Some people drop that much at a bar over a weekend.

Back