Out of the off-road

It’s all about priorities. People make time for what’s important to them. If you’re just burnt out and lost the passion for it, I get that 100%. But if you want to go and feel like you can’t because of work, you need a lifestyle change. People work to make a living, not live to work. No one will ever lay on their death bed and wish they worked more.

I have gotten out of wheeling 3 times now and it never fails that I get unhappy and have to start all over to get back into it. I’m very invested now. I met my wife wheeling and we raise our kids wheeling. My daughter has really become my sidekick and my boy won’t be far behind in being big enough to go more.

I go about once a month, and it’s usually leaving on Thursday to wheel a little that afternoon, Friday and Saturday and return on Sunday. That makes the 4-6 hour drive worth it. The main thing though for me is the fellowship. When I think of great wheeling trip memories, only about 30% of those memories are on the trail. The 70% is back at camp hanging out with everyone. That’s my favorite part. Usually eating good food with great people and having the best times. Gonna be taking my daughter even more next year, and I’m certain we are making memories that will last a lifetime with her.

I’ve thought many times about getting out and taking up more fishing, specially saltwater fishing. But that’s a lot of time alone rather than a group setting and would not do good things for depression for me and would get old. Me and the wife got serious about money and got ourselves debt free about 2 years ago so we could work less and enjoy life more!

Me, it's been raising my son. Early it was the need to work all the time,single income with a wife. At first it was stay at home mom, then it was ....well That's all under the bridge.
Son is raised for the most part. Happily married and a few things sorted I always wanted....shop. We also have better goals and enjoy "our" camper. Helps tremedously to be equally invested.
I never stopped buying tools. Past times for release changed a good bit for a season. Dirt bike racing was cheap enough in my approach and kept me outta bigger trouble because of the "water".
That type of retreat is no longer needed. I still enjoy building as much as the out doors. Slowly but surely I'm clawing my way back to a few trips. Why? Fellowship. The crowd surrounding this sport draws a unique self respecting, self sustaining folk. Folk grounded in certain types of values and accomplishments. Also people who tend to enjoy the build and out doors just as much.
In general good like minded people. I am slowly realizing I dislike the general public. But I have never forgot the friends and bonds made wheeling. I my heart I've never stopped. Wheeling to me was always more then taking a rig somewhere.
I get a big picture satisfaction from the 4wd hobby. Its never really been fueled by conquering a trail.

It was the cost that originally sidelined me as well. I have not been on a trail (besides Moab) in the last 6-7 years and miss wheelin / hanging out with the friends I have met along the way. I sold the motor home first, and finally got up the nerve to sell the trail rig I had owned for 20 years which just sat an collected dust. Then I got rid of the Chief and figured I would just get out of the sport all together. But it was not working for me.
I have owned a Jeep or two since I was 17 years old and for the first time in 40 years I was Jeep-less and I realized that fire was just not out. It was then I put the plan in place to build a very capable rig that I could drive any day I wanted and then head to trail as needed(My last build thread). It has taken about a year and half to find the JKU I wanted and slowly get it built the way I want. My goal is to be totally done by March of next year for, hopefully, a road trip to Moab. I'm heading to the Dixie Run in a couple of weeks to give it a shake down run. I am not into the super hardcore stuff anymore, just want to bounce around on 37's and 2" lift, use the winch if needed and will be content to watch the big dogs in action.

In case y'all haven't figured it out yet, @Stuntman Autoworks is way more bad ass then anyone else.

Looking forward to wheeling with ya in 2 weeks, loser. :flipoff2:

Not what I meant, just meant that everyone is busy so the I'm too busy excuse is invalid. You either really enjoy it and will make the time to do it or you don't enjoy it that much but for some reason have to rationalize to everyone why you don't enjoy it.

Goes for everything in life.

Someone nailed it earlier when they mentioned the camaraderie. I’ve drove an hour or more to help someone turn wrenches on their junk and people have done the same for me. I’ve spent nights well past midnight in the shop getting a rig ready for a ride, and I’ve turned wrenches at the top of Mason Jar at 3am to get a rig off the trail. I’ve never seen a hobby that brings people together and form some of the friendships like this one does. Some of my veteran friends say it’s the closest they can get to the brotherhood they had in the military while in desert hell.
I run into people wheeling I may not have seen in a year or more and it’s like we have been friends for years and talk daily, we just pick up where we left off.

And to sweeten the deal now, my daughter is really good friends with @BigClay and @Dylan W. daughters and they think it’s better than Disney World to get to go spend a day with them and getting to spend a weekend is like hitting the lottery! Best wheeling trip this year was at Potts Mountain, where I barley did any wheeling but that place was crawling with kids back at camp and I can’t explain how much fun they had and I think we all had more fun just watching them.

My point is, most of my wheeling friends are more like family and that’s what keeps me going. Wheeling is only part of it. And this forum plays a huge roll in most of those friendships and this thread makes me want to do an exclusive NC4x4 event even more now.

Hit the nail on the head phillip, some people do dope to escape , Some go wheelin.

Quote of the day right here.
My big sister is calling me now, i'll be back to give "my" twisted point of view.

Ok, since everyone is doing their bio, I might as well too.

I got into wheeling before kids, had first kid, stayed in wheeling, had second kid and decided I needed to give it up for time and financial reasons. Got the itch again not even a year later. Now wheeling with my kid(s) is making more memories than anything else we do.

I don’t get to go nearly as often as I would like, but when I do, I make it memorable for me and the kids. That includes good food, getting dirty, staying up late around a camp fire, and junk food on the trail... all followed up with hopefully a dip in a creek or lake.

I think the great prophet @CasterTroy once posted the meme that said something to the effect “buy a Jeep and go wheeling because your kids won’t remember you getting 50mpgs in your prius”

Similar story here. I had to take a break for a few years for financial reasons post-second kid. Like everyone else, it called me back and I'm now adding years to my retirement date to play in the woods with you guys. My kids love riding in the truck and I look forward to taking them on more rides in the near future.

Its going to be hard pressed for me to quit. I used to live close to URE and moved to FL in 2010. Jeep sat under a tarp for 2 years when I first moved. Got the itch again and been building/wheeling ever since. EVERY trip for me is 6+hrs away. My last trip was River Rock in Milledgeville GA almost 1 year ago. When I got home I cut it in half to stretch/link it. Scope creep got very real with the project so Its not done yet, but getting close. I can't wait to hit the trails again in what will be a completely different animal. Luckily my parents live 30min from URE so I will hit it up a couple times a year when I visit them. There are still bucket list wheeling places Im going to make it too... MOAB, Colorado etc. Couldnt be said better about work to live over live to work. It certainly is an expensive hobby though. I guess I could be doing hookers and blow right?

EVERY trip for me is 6+hrs away.

Geebus...I think drive time is one of the biggest things keeping me from doing anything these days. Was a time in my life, if something was 11.5hrs away, I'd consider that a 'day trip'...11.5hrs driving there, an hour picking/loading up, 11.5hrs home. Now if I have to go cross town (15 mins), meh...don't need it that badly or have a delivery service bring it to the house/shop. Hell the last couple 10-12hr Florida trips I've taken, I've added at least a day on each side to stay in Savannah a night or two, and then a recovery day when I get home.

Outside of family and my childhood best friend, the friendships I have made wheeling are the strongest bonds in my life. You jokers have a special place in my world and I hope I have added a little value to someone elses.
I too took a break a few years back when finances were an issue. Fast forward a few years and ECORS got me and my wife back in the game. I look forward to weekends with my close friends in the woods and rocks. The fellowship is where it's at. I know some of you out there would be here as soon as you could if I needed ya. The same is true from me.
From helping a stranger on the trail to giving your passenger seat up for a weekend and everything in between. This is a special hobby shared with some damn fine folks.

Last edited:
From this:
manche snow.jpg

To this:
MacheDone%20087.JPG

Been 3years since I been wheeling. For me though I work out of town and for several years I was close enough to come home after work on Saturday and do a little wheeling. Last 3 years been too far to come home so no wheeling. I take my drag car with me so can do a little drag racing. I finally got back close to home a month ago and find out the flats is gone and I think I read the shop closed also. URE is kinda boring so options are dwindling.

Been 3years since I been wheeling. For me though I work out of town and for several years I was close enough to come home after work on Saturday and do a little wheeling. Last 3 years been too far to come home so no wheeling. I take my drag car with me so can do a little drag racing. I finally got back close to home a month ago and find out the flats is gone and I think I read the shop closed also. URE is kinda boring so options are dwindling.

Gultches is fun!

Back