Random Thoughts.....

Just tallied up my training hours for this year. Over 400 hours in state classes. No wonder Ive felt like I have no life. its gonna be nice to spend time at home, and spend some time in the woods.

It's in the shoes

Hand made oxfords, vs merrells or steel toe boots

The fact that you live THAT close to Asheville and have to have this explained is disappointing

Its funny if there is one thing I like to splurge on beside guns, cars and knives, and bourbon...and women...and tools....and... ok ok the only clothing/fashion thing I even care about enough to kind of like is high quality shoes. But its mainly because I have bad weird feet.
But I like high quality boots. Nice replaceable soles. Actual quality leathers etc.

So a wile back I found a reddit channel for high end shoes and boots. I was excited. I spent probably an hour reading reviews and looking at a few boutqiue companies Id never heard of and contemplating a purchase...then I saw a thread. 'What shoe are you wearing today' and it had like 50 replies.
Ok this is weird and over the top. But what the hell maybe they have a pic of that service boot I was just reading about.
Click thread
Every fucking picture was a
What in the name of hipster, high water, rolled up cuffed blue jeans and berets is this shit??

Ok Im done ...Im no longer admitting I like good shoes. Ill just keep buying over priced boots and getting the stained so no one knows the difference.

Pattersons is the best hot dog chili ever made and it's made in Sanford N.C.

I used to do their computer work, years back. One time I went out there, problem really wasn't worth charging for, more of a goodwill thing, so no charge. When I was done, I was BSing with the hired help, and Billy Bost went and put a pallet full of mixed dog chili and sausage gravy cases in the back of my truck in payment. He came back in with a big grin on his face. Didn't know why until I went to leave. For the next couple of years, if you went camping with me, you were getting chili and sausage gravy, or something based off of it, at least a couple of meals.

I used to do their computer work, years back. One time I went out there, problem really wasn't worth charging for, more of a goodwill thing, so no charge. When I was done, I was BSing with the hired help, and Billy Bost went and put a pallet full of mixed dog chili and sausage gravy cases in the back of my truck in payment. He came back in with a big grin on his face. Didn't know why until I went to leave. For the next couple of years, if you went camping with me, you were getting chili and sausage gravy, or something based off of it, at least a couple of meals.

The old recipe they have is hands down more tasty,more healthy and more protein vs fat than all of the other brands of hot dog chili.

My oldest daughter read me a quote last night that I hadn’t really thought about in a while. “If minors who work can’t vote, then why do they take taxes out of their paycheck for a high school job. Wouldn’t that be taxation without representation?” I thought it was an interesting point.
Keep in mind that unless they are making crazy money for a high schooler, they're most likely going to get a full refund of everything except the payroll tax (FICA) part, which is used to fund their own future anyway (at least in theory).
IOW, the actual amount of taxation of minors is pretty much nonexistent.
It's a valid point though.

But based on that same logic, what about felons or other adults who can't vote?
Also, "taxation without representation" is a popular license plate frame in Washington DC

As a societal observer, I'm amazed at either how few people concealed carry, or how amazingly well they conceal, and I'm pretty certain it's not the latter.

I can (and have) carry at least 3 sidearms on me and never be seen.
It all depends an mode of carry and dress .... even in summertime.
The only thing that can catch me at my best is a metal detector.
On the other hand, I have seen some guys I knew were carrying before I even saw the print.

just quick question what qualify as a craft beer drinking beard, vs a regular beard or a mans beard?

Craft beer drinking beard = pubic hair on face? ..... just askin'?

Had a 2013 JK in the shop today with death wobble.
Another shop just replaced: ball joints, track bar, tie rod, drag link, new tires and hub bearings.
Owner said it was unfixable. Before he got out of the Jeep I told him to wiggle the steering wheel. Track bar bolt hole wallowed out on axle.
$40 Barnes axle side mount and an hour later I was blasting down the interstate at 75.
How some people/shops can just rip people off without actually diagnosing the issue pisses me off

Had a 2013 JK in the shop today with death wobble.
Another shop just replaced: ball joints, track bar, tie rod, drag link, new tires and hub bearings.
Owner said it was unfixable. Before he got out of the Jeep I told him to wiggle the steering wheel. Track bar bolt hole wallowed out on axle.
$40 Barnes axle side mount and an hour later I was blasting down the interstate at 75.
How some people/shops can just rip people off without actually diagnosing the issue pisses me off

I had one that the draglink was flopping around like hell, worn out. A shop had told her she needed a steering box.

first thing I do when I get one with the wobbles... I don't understand why people throw parts at something.. other than they lack the knowledge/experience to actually diagnose it.

They don’t call them stealerships for nothing.

From several friends that are shop foremans, service managers, and factory trainers, the talent pool in shops is severely lacking.

From several friends that are shop foremans, service managers, and factory trainers, the talent pool in shops is severely lacking.
Because the pay isn't up to date. Low pay when the entirety of what a real tech is both worth and what they spend to get there.
That's why I left back in 2012. I was "maxxed out" as I was told in terms of pay and position. Not acceptable at 35 years old

Because the pay isn't up to date. Low pay when the entirety of what a real tech is both worth and what they spend to get there.
That's why I left back in 2012. I was "maxxed out" as I was told in terms of pay and position. Not acceptable at 35 years old

God I hated $150 a week tool bills. But if you don’t have the tools, you can’t do the work. And I never bought a big fancy box. I left in 2010 because the work wasn’t there, people were coming out of the recession. It was easier buying a new car then coughing up the dough to repair theirs. And work not being distributed so some techs were starving and a foreman was still getting 60+ hours a week. He did nothing but check engine lights, and it would come to me if it was a base engine concern.

That all explains why back in 2005, when I was young and tried fixing my own stuff, and thought, oh I'll just take it to the Jeep dealer - they're the dealer and can fix it right... Wrong. They cut quick connects off my brand new lines that I bought, all the way from trans to radiatior on my xj, and hose clamped them! Then they proceeded to tell me (after TELLING them to replace the oil pan gasket - because I couldn't get it to set right) that the rear main seal was pouring oil and the trans needed to come out.. on an xj. Dumb fawks. They went out of business the following year. That was when I started down the path I've now carved out as a living. I figured if their "a-tech" could do that, I could do far better than any one else in the mechanic field if I set to it. (At that time, at least for myself) since then I have given up on my actual intentions of employment and wandered through one and another trade and finally settling in mechanics (the whole while working mechanics, making more than I did on any other job I held - even when green, but I wasn't working at a dealer, but for individual and small shops until I started my mobile service & moved into a shop. I'm considering launching one of my part time techs into mobile service, since he wants to. But this is a lot more story than I intended to discuss here.

God I hated $150 a week tool bills. But if you don’t have the tools, you can’t do the work. And I never bought a big fancy box. I left in 2010 because the work wasn’t there, people were coming out of the recession. It was easier buying a new car then coughing up the dough to repair theirs. And work not being distributed so some techs were starving and a foreman was still getting 60+ hours a week. He did nothing but check engine lights, and it would come to me if it was a base engine concern.

I love how I always get made to order food when I go to fast food restaurants. Especially at Bojangles. I mean it's Sunday morning at 9:00, who in the heck would want a biscuit? And you hear them back there hollering we need sausage! We need chicken! We need biscuits! Wow, they are making it fresh, on demand, just for me!

Good lord people! It's freaking Bojangles on Sunday morning. Why the heck do you not have biscuits chicken and sausage in stock and ready to go. It's kind of like all that you do. You know the ol "you had one job" thing....

God I hated $150 a week tool bills. But if you don’t have the tools, you can’t do the work.

That's the big downside to paying tool truck prices for tools. It's convenient, but there isn't anything that Snap-On sells that can't be bought somewhere else for less money at the same level of quality. You just won't be able to grab it when the truck shows up that week, as it will need to be shipped.

But yeah, that's a huge financial burden that just needs to be dealt with as part of the job, because when you need a tool, you need a tool.

That's the big downside to paying tool truck prices for tools. It's convenient, but there isn't anything that Snap-On sells that can't be bought somewhere else for less money at the same level of quality. You just won't be able to grab it when the truck shows up that week, as it will need to be shipped.

But yeah, that's a huge financial burden that just needs to be dealt with as part of the job, because when you need a tool, you need a tool.

When you’re starting out it’s much easier to finance tools then go pay cash for stuff. I started buying tools at 13, because I had to fix my on 4wheeler, then few tools here and there till I started the co-op program at 16 1/2. Then at 18 when I went full time and having a can do it attitude I got thrust into major engine repairs/transfercase rebuilds/diff rebuilds at 20 years old. My need to increase my tool inventory jumped dramatically that I couldn’t pay cash I had to finance. With my age and little to no credit I couldn’t just throw it on a credit card, because at the time 2005-2008 nobody was taking a chance on lending me anything. Granted it helped my credit score a whole lot doing it that way. Just sucks you’ve got to invest 20k-30k+ in tools to make a living that you’ll top out at 25-30 per hour in my case before I said screw this and joined the military to explore my options.

I love how I always get made to order food when I go to fast food restaurants. Especially at Bojangles. I mean it's Sunday morning at 9:00, who in the heck would want a biscuit? And you hear them back there hollering we need sausage! We need chicken! We need biscuits! Wow, they are making it fresh, on demand, just for me!

Good lord people! It's freaking Bojangles on Sunday morning. Why the heck do you not have biscuits chicken and sausage in stock and ready to go. It's kind of like all that you do. You know the ol "you had one job" thing....
I worked at Bojangles for 5 years while I was in college. We would be fine until some customer came in and bought a couple of tailgate specials and 2 dozen biscuits. Hard to plan for that . Even worse on home football games. I would have all six fryers going cooking chicken and you still barely kept up with the large orders.

Back