Brake hose help

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
I need help finding a rear brake hose for my '72 C30 with the HO72 (7,200lb axle). What's on there now (I'm assuming OEM) is a ~15" rubber hose with a 3/16" female flare fitting on the frame side and it is crimped to a 3/16" female flare tee with a bolt hole on the axle side. Am I missing something in my interweb searches? Can anybody point me to a brake hose catalog?

What I have (apologies for pic quality):
9707.jpeg 9717.jpeg 9706.jpeg

I ordered one from a local parts store last week and picked it up today when I got to town. I had told the guy what I needed and I ended up getting what I think will work, but it gives me an uneasy feeling. I think the hose is for the HO110 (11,000lb axle) with 7/16" female flare fittings and a bag of brake line adapters. It goes 7/16"=>3/16" adapter on the frame side, a 7/16" female flare, rubber hose, 7/16" male flare, 7/16" female tee and two 7/16"=>3/16" adapters on the axle side. So I'm going from 3 connection points to 7....I'm assuming with hydraulics (like in electrical) failures typically occur at connection points & I really don't want a brake failure!

What I picked up:
20200117_234407.jpg 9711.jpeg 9714.jpeg 9713.jpeg

The number Braxton357 posted should cross at a normal part store. Lots of brake parts start with the Hxxxxxxx at advance or napa.

Try looking one up for a 1/2 ton similar year. Or even look for a Ford truck pre 80s. Most all of them back then used similar brake line sizes.

I'm pretty sure my 78 f150 4x4 stock rear lines were 3/16 steel, which is 3/8-24 thread inverted flare. Length should be enough too. So thats another one to look up.

EDIT: I just looked on rock auto the center rear hose for a 78 f150 is 22 inches long and 3/8 thread (which is 3/16 line) you should be able to order that at any parts store. Maybe have to drill open the mounting hole or slightly modify (file) the frame bracket for clearance to use the ford hose, but a brake hose is a brake hose (I wont tell anyone you put a ford part on it, lol)

To echo others, what you need in an OEM application would be a rear brake hose for an XJ or ZJ as far as fittings go. They're close to that length too.
If you need a longer hose, a rear hose for a lifted XJ/ZJ would work.

3/16 female at the frame and dual 3/16 at the axle. Mounting hole is 3/8".

How long is the hose you need? Seems would be easy to find something that matches up.
I thought it'd be easy too, but all the searches have been just like the parts store robots...year/make/model/trim/2WD or 4WD/engine...I kept asking for a parts catalog, but could never get one.

You sir win the internetz! How'd you find that? I'd like to order one a little longer just to have some more wiggle room.

The number Braxton357 posted should cross at a normal part store. Lots of brake parts start with the Hxxxxxxx at advance or napa.
Try looking one up for a 1/2 ton similar year. Or even look for a Ford truck pre 80s. Most all of them back then used similar brake line sizes.
I'm pretty sure my 78 f150 4x4 stock rear lines were 3/16 steel, which is 3/8-24 thread inverted flare. Length should be enough too. So thats another one to look up.

EDIT: I just looked on rock auto the center rear hose for a 78 f150 is 22 inches long and 3/8 thread (which is 3/16 line) you should be able to order that at any parts store. Maybe have to drill open the mounting hole or slightly modify (file) the frame bracket for clearance to use the ford hose, but a brake hose is a brake hose (I wont tell anyone you put a ford part on it, lol)
Good point...the 3/16" line has 3/8" fittings...not a lot of sleep this past week! I don't care what parts are on it as long as they work...I'll call the local parts stores tomorrow!

To echo others, what you need in an OEM application would be a rear brake hose for an XJ or ZJ as far as fittings go. They're close to that length too. If you need a longer hose, a rear hose for a lifted XJ/ZJ would work.

3/16 female at the frame and dual 3/16 at the axle. Mounting hole is 3/8".
I'll look up the XJ/ZJ & F150 parts and start looking online for who has on in stock in/near Albemarle! Thanks!

If you use a xj or zj line, you'll need a bracket and a clip to hold the line at the frame side, since they didn't use bolts there, but that shouldn't be hard to come up with. Also Dakota used a longer hose, but the fitting on the frame side is either 7/16" or 1/2" thread. Not a problem if you have a flare kit though. You could actually just flare the lines to match the hose you already have fwiw. I love my calvan flare set that was like $60, does all line sizes from 3/16- 3/8 or 1/2, don't recall off hand, as well as bubble flare.

If you use a xj or zj line, you'll need a bracket and a clip to hold the line at the frame side, since they didn't use bolts there, but that shouldn't be hard to come up with. Also Dakota used a longer hose, but the fitting on the frame side is either 7/16" or 1/2" thread. Not a problem if you have a flare kit though. You could actually just flare the lines to match the hose you already have fwiw. I love my calvan flare set that was like $60, does all line sizes from 3/16- 3/8 or 1/2, don't recall off hand, as well as bubble flare.

The C30 already had the brackets at the steel/rubber brake line connections on both the frame & axle. May have to add a brake line flare kit to the toolbox someday, but the new rubber hose is installed (with only a slight modification) & brakes bled!

Thanks for everybody's help!!

Back