Lawn and Landscape

I've planted Arborvitae Green Giants, Cryptomeria Radicans, Cryptomeria Yoshinos, and Nellie Stevens Hollies. None of them do very well in the shade. They all need at least partial sun. I can't really say that one is any better than the other in the shade, but if I had to choose, I think it would be the Green Giants. The Green Giants seem to maybe grow a little more dense in the shade than the others, but they all grow much slower in the shade.

How tall of a privacy wall are you trying to grow? The Cleyera that @trailhugger mentioned might be a good bet, but I think they top out at 12-15 feet high. We have a few of those in partial sun that have done well. They were only 2-3' tall when we bought them about 4 yrs ago though, and are about 5-6' tall now.

Last edited:
I need about 8-10' minimum. 10-12+ would more than suffice. If i removed one of the big oaks it would allow some additional sun; but the shade in the summer is my favorite part of the back yard.

Lets talk screening trees- I'm tired of sitting on my porch and looking into one of my neighbors kitchen windows. The go to around here seems toe be the Green Giants, and While they claim to do "OK" in partial sun I have heard mixed reviews. Seems like another popular one is the Nelly Stevens Holly. What can you tell me about these? I have 3 mature Oaks (May consider removing 1) with a higher canopy and the fence line is partially shaded from afternoon sun due to the garage/shop.

-Tim
Nellies and Mary Nell are both great screening plants, even in part shade. If it's a little bit protected from cold winter winds Fragrant Osmanthus is a good one as is Chindo Viburnum but neither will be happy if they're allowed to dry out too much.

I need about 8-10' minimum. 10-12+ would more than suffice. If i removed one of the big oaks it would allow some additional sun; but the shade in the summer is my favorite part of the back yard.
Might double check this, but a Pro tree guy I bought one from told me I could just top it to stop it's height. Then it just gets wider [I guess].

This is the septic field at our house. The grass has never looked this good.

IMG_20200328_160632.jpg

Anybody know what this is for? Was digging up an old garden bed in front of our house (had boxwoods in it) to plant a small food garden there. It ties into the gutter drain so I'm thinking it's a drain of some sort. Should I pull it up or leave it? It's currently clogged up and wont let water through.

20200329_140832.jpg

20200329_140844.jpg

Joel,
The big line is probably a drain line but what about the smaller PVC lines? Do you have a sprinkler system? Or are they heading to a stock tank or fenced area for watering animals? You didn't crack into your septic system did you?

Joel,
The big line is probably a drain line but what about the smaller PVC lines? Do you have a sprinkler system? Or are they heading to a stock tank or fenced area for watering animals? You didn't crack into your septic system did you?

Those small ones are what confuse me. The big one dumps into the gutter drain, which is Clay pipe and need replacement. I'm thinking it was intended to keep water from running over the sidewalk since it boxes in the garden, but just cant figure out those little pipes.

Ok well they're PVC. Go buy a couple of male adapters of that pipe size and a threaded bushing (female coupling) or two with a fitting to connect to a male garden hose and the correct glue and cleaner. Hook them up (tell the hardware guy what you're doing so he can help) and put some pressure to them and see where it comes out. Be careful so you don't flood your house. Do you have a basement? You'll be throwing away the money for most of this stuff but it's only about $20 if you don't go crazy. It'll be worth that to find out where they go.

On the topic of lawn care.....this yellow flag is attached to a scissor type trap, it standing proud means it has been sprung.

I have tried everything to kill the moles in my yard (subterranean noise makers, poison pellets, smoke bombs, laying down pelletized castor oil, laying down grub killer)....the list goes on, so far, this trap from Northern tool is the only thing that has shown results.

A friend recommended putting the body on a post in the yard, said if hawks figure out you have a mole problem, they will make it their problem!

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_152114519_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200330_152114519_HDR.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20200330_151908184.jpg
    IMG_20200330_151908184.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 189
On the topic of lawn care.....this yellow flag is attached to a scissor type trap, it standing proud means it has been sprung.

I have tried everything to kill the moles in my yard (subterranean noise makers, poison pellets, smoke bombs, laying down pelletized castor oil, laying down grub killer)....the list goes on, so far, this trap from Northern tool is the only thing that has shown results.

A friend recommended putting the body on a post in the yard, said if hawks figure out you have a mole problem, they will make it their problem!
Please keep us posted, moles are a major PITA!

Please keep us posted, moles are a major PITA!

I've got a dog I'll rent out to take care of your mole problems. She'll destroy the yard in the process, but you won't have any moles!

I've got a dog I'll rent out to take care of your mole problems. She'll destroy the yard in the process, but you won't have any moles!

where were you a year and a half ago! The yard is too decent to set a digger loose in it at the moment......but if the moles get out of control I may still be in touch! I watched a bunch of videos of dogs digging up and killing moles, definitely fun to watch!

where were you a year and a half ago! The yard is too decent to set a digger loose in it at the moment......but if the moles get out of control I may still be in touch! I watched a bunch of videos of dogs digging up and killing moles, definitely fun to watch!
She is pretty impressive. She can be trotting across the yard and just stop and snap her head down like she hit the end of a rope. She'll start digging and sure enough, dead mole in a bit. It's amazing that she can hear/smell them like she does.

all of the things you list don’t work

talprid worms, fake poison worms works

juicy fruit gum unchewed, cut into pieces and stick in the mounds without crushing them

big misconception is that moles love grubs, they do, but they love earthworms the best

almost every insecticide that will kill grubs won’t kill earthworms, so killing the grubs and not the earthworms, those moles ain’t going nowhere

I used the “special” worms before just like the package said. Every fucking morning the worm would have been pushed back out the mound nicely and a renewed tunnel right on through. Finally had success with the spring loaded guillotine type with the needle spikes.

I used the “special” worms before just like the package said. Every fucking morning the worm would have been pushed back out the mound nicely and a renewed tunnel right on through. Finally had success with the spring loaded guillotine type with the needle spikes.

North Carolina just considered moles a nuisance, for years they were protected, NOT SURE WHY

I don’t have experience with traps yet, but I worked for a guy on the golf course years ago that would jump off the golf cart and stick his hand in a mound and out would come mole in his hand

the poison worms are finicky, I cut them in half, you have to make a hole that doesn’t crush the mound and push it down to the bottom of the tunnel, if it stays on top the mole will never find it

the poison worms are finicky, I cut them in half, you have to make a hole that doesn’t crush the mound and push it down to the bottom of the tunnel, if it stays on top the mole will never find it

You might be right ...but One, there is something special about the lack of precision required to set these traps (if the mole goes back through that tunnel, he is gonna get dead)....and B, getting to pull your enemies dead body out of his tunnel is significantly more satisfying than just not seeing more tunnels show up.

Decided to just leave whatever system that is as is and roll on. Got the garden tilled. The part by the drive was yard and was a pain.

20200331_173701.jpg

I have a co worker that has a hammerhead worm "infestation" what is the best way to get rid if them?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have a co worker that has a hammerhead worm "infestation" what is the best way to get rid if them?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
They are called a Land Planarium. They don't really do any harm but slug bait or diatomacious earth if he must.

I have one kinda like that, but the little fuckers kept digging under it. I'm not sure where it is at the moment, but I got pissed off and stopped bothering with it. Maybe it's time to try again.

Back