SHENANIGANS

Updates finally! There’s a lot of misinformation out there about pushrods for the LS. It honestly took me two nights of studying on YouTube to wrap my brain around it. At least I was working OT and got paid to struggle through it. Got brave and ordered me the Comp Cams adjustable tool to measure my zero lash zero preload measurement. Came up with 7.325”. The LS7 lifters I’m running have 0.165” of travel. BTR recommends running 0.100” preload. Add my measurement to preload and you get 7.425” pushrods. I ordered a set of hardened chromoly ones from BTR.
0B16B5E5-2A66-478A-ABBC-ED7097A5CCC1.jpeg

That was the last piece of the puzzle to finish top end assembly and get all my accessories mounted up too. 250 amp alternator relocated to the passenger side up high. PSC P-pump mounted high on the driver side. All connected with GoatBuilt brackets. Drew at GoatBuilt is a really cool guy to work with and all these brackets are extremely precise. I highly recommend them. That’s the 3rd water pump I installed to make all the brackets line up. Good thing Rock Auto is easy to return things with.
0F472B47-6CA7-41E3-AE84-F3FB7E4F1B59.jpeg

Sexy beast right there. As soon as I get the oil system primed, I’ll torque down the valve covers, install the coil packs and plugs. She’s drop in ready!

No pics, but progress nonetheless. @HGSR made the trip out tonight and got the oil system primed up. Got oil flow to the top of all lifters. Huge thanks for his guidance and recommendations through this build. Couldn’t have done it without you brother! Valve covers, coil packs, plugs, and wires will go on over the weekend and I’ll slap the big old DONE sticker on my LS.

No problem. Need anything else just let me know. If you want to prime it again before you blast it off we can do it, just for piece of mind. Iam paranoid like that.

Had a few minutes this afternoon so I made myself useful. Installed my new wrinkle finish powder coated valve covers, ICT Billet aluminum coil mounts, coil packs, Autolite Iridium plugs, and MSD plug wires.
DBFB77B4-C197-41FC-B57C-5E9916EDD430.jpeg

Everybody has that guy in their group that’s the voice of reason. That guy that tells you to hold your own beer and sit the fuck down. That guy... was nowhere to be found tonight. Instead, I met @Bebop and he’s thoroughly convinced me that a little ol 150 shot of nitrous never hurt anybody. Makes perfect sense! Here we go...
940C2D48-76E2-4429-9E88-608E2CE9D900.jpeg

Everybody has that guy in their group that’s the voice of reason. That guy that tells you to hold your own beer and sit the fuck down. That guy... was nowhere to be found tonight. Instead, I met @Bebop and he’s thoroughly convinced me that a little ol 150 shot of nitrous never hurt anybody. Makes perfect sense! Here we go...
View attachment 313973
I hope you ordered 300m shafts and trans internals[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I hope you ordered 300m shafts and trans internals[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Where’s the fun in that? It has to fail in spectacular fashion so I actually learn a lesson.

Pulled the trigger on having the chassis sandblasted. Just doing the math on having Matt grind and prep small areas where we make changes vs the cost of just giving him a clean canvas sold me on the idea. Picked it up this afternoon as bare metal.
B8544786-78BA-4683-B815-2E8085F5581F.jpeg

And then promptly gave it a bath in Gibbs Oil so it stays pretty metal.
5484B6E8-D635-4D0A-9333-DFDA5186066E.jpeg

Straight BALLER status now!!

5CB0D7AB-64F2-49F2-80DC-01563C2AC270.jpeg

View attachment 313973

I'm not sure how I missed it but it warms my heart to know there will be nitrous on board.

So this is what PSC recommends for 43’s. I challenge anybody to put your hands on my shaft and not smile.

72E94410-0F18-4CB0-8DF6-8D1F3A670A2D.jpeg

Looks like it goes both ways :gay:

Another box of goodies showed up today. Bump cans and a full set of QA1 1.25” heims. Had to source the SS misalignment spacers from another vendor, but they’re on the way.
9E8B5DED-E9A8-4729-B492-E090B06063FE.jpeg

Picked up an Artec hydro mount for the 60
241021B2-E1B2-47FF-AE8A-E5B1219FD576.jpeg

Did a little trimming on the chassis and finished up reassembly. Then I started getting everything loaded up for the ride to @mcutler Cutler Fab. I’ll probably use every single strap I own to make the trip.
3404526E-3293-41E6-AD38-14D33F2BD1A1.jpeg

0E92F6E0-E570-4842-B692-E851FBE4649D.jpeg

E4C325EB-D56D-4F0E-B22F-5B95952C4078.jpeg

Bout as far as I’m gonna go. I’ll probably leave the rest to professionals. Might just have to burn up the highway between my house and Matt’s shop to make sure I can lend a hand.

Put that stimulus check to good use. CBR radiator with twin 14” fans. Also sprung for the matching surge tank.
F8298507-FD8C-4FFD-BCD3-2CDCE242F6E9.jpeg

73CA58B2-6947-4822-86B1-38F2D2374812.jpeg

Unless I missed it, how do you think that 4L60E is going to like the hits off the bottle? Now would be a great time to go to an 80E unless you know stuff we dont.....

Either way, looking badass! And I really love getting the kiddos involved!

Unless I missed it, how do you think that 4L60E is going to like the hits off the bottle? Now would be a great time to go to an 80E unless you know stuff we dont.....

Either way, looking badass! And I really love getting the kiddos involved!

I already share some of your concerns and it really just comes down to using up what I’ve already paid for. I had that transmission built by a local shop that already removed your typical weak points of the 4L60e. It’s got the HD sun gear, all V8 clutches, shift kit, and corvette servos. It also has a billet output shaft from Advance Adapters to mate it to my Atlas. The other weak point is in the 3-4 shift that a rock crawler, trail buggy should almost never see and mine will NEVER see with spray. As for the nitrous, I’m gonna use the Holley Terminator setup to control a 100 HP shot, probably only above 4000 RPM and it’ll be ramped in over a 1-1.5 second scale. It’ll never see spray off a hit like a drag car would. To be 100% honest, that kit is there so I can say I have 500 HP and try that last day run up Cream Puff.

I already share some of your concerns and it really just comes down to using up what I’ve already paid for. I had that transmission built by a local shop that already removed your typical weak points of the 4L60e. It’s got the HD sun gear, all V8 clutches, shift kit, and corvette servos. It also has a billet output shaft from Advance Adapters to mate it to my Atlas. The other weak point is in the 3-4 shift that a rock crawler, trail buggy should almost never see and mine will NEVER see with spray. As for the nitrous, I’m gonna use the Holley Terminator setup to control a 100 HP shot, probably only above 4000 RPM and it’ll be ramped in over a 1-1.5 second scale. It’ll never see spray off a hit like a drag car would. To be 100% honest, that kit is there so I can say I have 500 HP and try that last day run up Cream Puff.

I gotcha, and sounds like you have really thought out the weaknesses and how you're going to use it (which doesn't surprise me with the point you're at in buggy building). Im excited to see how this will all come together, looking badass now and can only get better!

After a call to Wilwood about getting the right master cylinder and reservoir for my setup, they effectively told me what I wanted to do “wouldn’t work”. :shaking: Oh well, next I called WOD and gave them my dilemma and here lies the answer. This is their kit I’ve assembled to have ready for mockup. Let there be HydroBoost...

D01B89E9-F641-4EF2-B42F-A8EF3EBBB546.jpeg

Back