Pitman arms.... sighhhh

fordtrucknut

so I am looking for a pitman arm that is around 6.5 inches center to center but points UP instead of down like most do, I'm running an astro steering box and try to get more clearance without moving the box... if that is possible

Attachments

• 20200314_154640.jpg
    20200314_154640.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 154
Waggy arm is dimensionally what you need, but is flat
Is the Waggy arm truly flat? I've heard its flat, then I've heard it has a 3/4"drop then I've heard it has a 1 inch drop.. I'm currently running a stock 78 f150 pitman arm which has about a 1 inch drop.. i really need a 1-2" raised one

Chop it, flip it, weld it, brace/reinforce it.

As far as I know pitman arms are cast steel. Burn it in hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Waggy arm truly flat? I've heard its flat, then I've heard it has a 3/4"drop then I've heard it has a 1 inch drop.. I'm currently running a stock 78 f150 pitman arm which has about a 1 inch drop.. i really need a 1-2" raised one
Turn it upside down and run a heim.

so I am looking for a pitman arm that is around 6.5 inches center to center but points UP instead of down like most do, I'm running an astro steering box and try to get more clearance without moving the box... if that is possible

I cut my astro van arm up and welded to it to make it double shear for mounting a heim. Also could make the length exactly what I needed to match my hi steer arms to get the most travel out of my 60 knuckles.

I've read that some pitman arms are tapered, some aren't, and that some sector shafts are, and some aren't. I don't think the dodge arms I've messed with were tapered, but it's been a while since I messed with one. I'm doing some cleaning up if I run across something you might can use you can have it.

Duane

I've read that some pitman arms are tapered, some aren't, and that some sector shafts are, and some aren't. I don't think the dodge arms I've messed with were tapered, but it's been a while since I messed with one. I'm doing some cleaning up if I run across something you might can use you can have it.

Duane
I appreciate that, to be truthful id be thrilled to know of a pitman arm that definitely isn't tapered, I would just buy a new one. I am certain my steering box is tapered. You guys are making me question it enough I'm gonna have to make sure my current pitman arm is tapered. But I'm almost positive it is.. i think I've tried to flip it in the past.

I appreciate that, to be truthful id be thrilled to know of a pitman arm that definitely isn't tapered, I would just buy a new one. I am certain my steering box is tapered. You guys are making me question it enough I'm gonna have to make sure my current pitman arm is tapered. But I'm almost positive it is.. i think I've tried to flip it in the past.
The keyway typically will keep you from flip it, deepening on the arm.

I tried flipping mine this evening, I'm not sure if its the actual keyway or if it has a very slight taper.. but it will definitely only go on 1 way

I can't say that I have worked on every vehicle out there, but I've never seen one that wasn't tapered.

They are taperd. All the ones I've dealt with are. I have a waggy arm that I used to run on my xj. I can throw it in a box next week if you want it. Of course shipping is on you...

They are taperd. All the ones I've dealt with are. I have a waggy arm that I used to run on my xj. I can throw it in a box next week if you want it. Of course shipping is on you...
I appreciate it, but at best a waggy arm is only gonna gain me about an inch.. probably not worth the effort.. im seriously debating cutting one and flipping it

Back