Moving a 2,500 lb safe

I wasn't at all worried about someone breaking in and stealing it. No home burglar will have the tools/skills to move that thing. Opening/closing the safe with it empty and a lot of the weight in the door seems like it could get very tippy. It did with my empty safe and mine weighs at 760lbs empty. First time I opened it, the back edges lifted off the ground. Luckily, I had other people holding it so it didn't come over on me.

I have swung the door open empty several times and the safe is solid. The door does weigh 700 lbs but the rest of the safe is heavy enough to keep it stable, 1800 lbs.

If the door is 700lbs, I wouldn't take it off. Moving an 1800lb safe is not really any different from a 2500lb safe. But having to move 2 pieces and then reassemble them seems like a PITA.

If the door is 700lbs, I wouldn't take it off. Moving an 1800lb safe is not really any different from a 2500lb safe. But having to move 2 pieces and then reassemble them seems like a PITA.

Agree'd....it is still plus or minus a ton...but it is half a ton that you have to lift and secure inside the house....just makes me think about how much it sucks to hang a regular car door, then make it weigh 700lbs!

Well shit it didn't go through the floor of that trailer! Your good!

I have an enclosed. I would have trusted it less than the house.

Nice looking cat btw.

Last edited:
Well shit it didn't go through the floor of that trailer! Your good!

I have an enclosed. I would have trusted it less than the house.

Nice looking btw.
Exactly! Didn't fall through a flimsy trailer floor. [Even though it scared the poop out of you] Looking at your post supply, I'm not Impressed.
Looks rotted, cracked, out of square, twisted? And going in a humid basement. The ants & termites, might throw a party!

Exactly! Didn't fall through a flimsy trailer floor. [Even though it scared the poop out of you] Looking at your post supply, I'm not Impressed.
Looks rotted, cracked, out of square, twisted? And going in a humid basement. The ants & termites, might throw a party!
Ok it turns out that 6x12s are really heavy anyway. I grabbed some 4x6s to use.

I will not be bolting it to the floor. If a group of theives experienced in moving heavy safes shows up with a wrecker they might be able to get it to the door and winch it up but they are not getting it onto a trailer or truck bed with 'normal' means.

If they were experienced thieves with the means and time to move a safe, They aren't going to take it out the door, They don't care about your house. They'd just rip it right through the wall you put it closest to!

Pretty unlikely to be stolen anyway though! And given everything else involved in doing it, I'd think bolting it to the floor would be very little deterrent :D

images

I’m pretty sure a slab is non-load bearing. If you were concerned about weight transfer into the floor from the joist into a Jack-post. There needs to be a footer.

I posted this with no actual knowledge

I’m pretty sure a slab is non-load bearing. If you were concerned about weight transfer into the floor from the joist into a Jack-post. There needs to be a footer.

I posted this with no actual knowledge

If he spreads the load just a little bit on the slab he should be fine, so long as he has a semi decent subgrade. Even cheap concrete is 3000psi

I need some ideas for getting a safe I just bought into my house. I did a ton of research before purchasing this safe but after calculating the weight it turns out its about 600lbs heavier than I thought. The total weight is about 2500 lbs.

The safe is in the back of my enclosed trailer where it almost went through the floor while attempting to move on a pallet jack. I didn't think about how weak the plywood floor is with such huge gaps between the supports.
Anyway, I have access to a backhoe with forks and should be able to get it out of the trailer and onto the concrete porch but I don't know what to do from there. I called a few localish movers who do not want to move anything this heavy. A safe store in greensboro quoted me $900 to make the 1.5 hr drive and that is more than I spent on the safe.
From the concrete porch there is about a 6" step to get through the door. Once the safe is through the door I just want to slide it along the wall about 20ft and there it will live, sitting as close to the block foundation as possible. The floor is hardwood and I am pretty sure it can handle the weight, but let me know if anyone disagrees.
I've researched a lot of forums where people moved safes but they were all half the weight of this one or less. A popular idea seems to be golf balls or pipe rollers but I've not found anyone who used rollers under a safe over 1000 lbs.
Right now my only idea is to build a platform on the porch, set the safe on it then slide it in by pushing it with the backhoe bucket. If that works and the safe clears the door I do not know how to move it perpendicular to the door opening and get it to its resting place. Any ideas?
I went to homedepot and got Floor jacks to support my drake safe
Concrete blocks and 4x6 to span the joists

So, I guess ill be the one to ask...
Whats going in this mega safe? Hillary emails?

Its in. It took 2 hours and was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting it off the forks and that is because it took me a while to realize I needed bigger diameter pipe as a roller for that part.

Attachments

• 20200606_150644.jpg
    20200606_150644.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200606_150338.jpg
    20200606_150338.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 20200606_154518.jpg
    20200606_154518.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20200606_163553.jpg
    20200606_163553.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 175
Its in. It took 2 hours and was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting it off the forks and that is because it took me a while to realize I needed bigger diameter pipe as a roller for that part.
Heck yes! Though I'm honestly a little disappointed it didn't crash through the floor because that would have made a great story.

Back