D-6

Yeah cause a slush box stays so cool, mine never contributes to the in cab temp. Radiator is probably good up to 800HP so it doesn't matter the location.
I toasted a cheese sammich on a trans tunnel at Tellico. Wasn't actually on the menu.

Griffin Radiator says that radiator is good for 850.
Cool.
But real radiators aren't rated in horsepower, they are rated in heat rejection capacity.
For example you think that radiator is sufficient to cool a 30L 800hp 3500ftb diesel?
Of course not.

But as I said. Radiators are rated in heat rejection capacity.
The calculation requires a stated ambient air temp that will be drawn across the rejection surface.

Here's a hint for you, the ambient air you are pulling across your radiator is going to be hotter than the surface you aretrying to cool.
And it doesn't matter how big a fan ya got....you can't move hot air fast enough

I may be able to get my head wrapped around it some more tomorrow night. I know I left room for a bigger radiator, because I may end up being told to put a 1200 hp supercharged engine in it.

So who's pulling the strings on this puppet show of a build?

So who's pulling the strings on this puppet show of a build?

Same question, this just gets fishier and fishier. If Fuller had a CAD program I would swear this was him.

I got it! This is @shawn messing with all of us :lol:

I may be able to get my head wrapped around it some more tomorrow night. I know I left room for a bigger radiator, because I may end up being told to put a 1200 hp supercharged engine in it.

Trophy trucks have radiators that are 4 times the size of what you're showing here and they cool 900/1000hp out of NA engines.

A boosted application would require charge air cooling on top of the insane amount of heat needed to be removed from a 1200hp engine driven under race load for any significant amount of time.

FYI, if you were looking at competition rockbouncers that make 1000+hp as a "proof of concept", they have small radiators and are not meant to be driven more than 5mn at a time. GoldRush overheats in less than 3 miles as an example.

I would love to get TIG welding lessons from you. But when it comes to designing a buggy, it seems like you're not in your element.

Trophy trucks have radiators that are 4 times the size of what you're showing here and they cool 900/1000hp out of NA engines.

A boosted application would require charge air cooling on top of the insane amount of heat needed to be removed from a 1200hp engine driven under race load for any significant amount of time.

FYI, if you were looking at competition rockbouncers that make 1000+hp as a "proof of concept", they have small radiators and are not meant to be driven more than 5mn at a time. GoldRush overheats in less than 3 miles as an example.

I would love to get TIG welding lessons from you. But when it comes to designing a buggy, it seems like you're not in your element.

So, trophy trucks have radiators that are 112 x 76 inches?

So, trophy trucks have radiators that are 112 x 76 inches?
Correct. All that matters is the front area. Fin length, material, thickness, and design are insignificant, and they all have only 1 core.

You guys sure do know a lot about designing off-road racing vehicles. I'm glad you're here to help me through it. I appreciate you guys sharing your extensive experiences. I guess this design thing is just something that's not really in my wheelhouse. Appreciate everyone helping me sharpen it up.

You guys sure do know a lot about designing off-road racing vehicles. I'm glad you're here to help me through it. I appreciate you guys sharing your extensive experiences. I guess this design thing is just something that's not really in my wheelhouse. Appreciate everyone helping me sharpen it up.

And btw ....I know zero about designing offroad vehicles.
Ill concede even in your lunacy you know worlds more than I.
But...radiator design, size and selection....I'd venture a guess that unless one of the Volvo guys on here work in the cooling department, no one on the forum has as much experience as I do in radiator design - especially in atypical applications.
Hell I once mounted two radiators horizontally across the roof line of a 1913 train car and used a variable speed fan with a cooling sensor backloop and an adjustable damper output that could control the temperature of twin 27L engines mounted internally without air flow access to within 2 degrees in ambients from -65F to +125F at speeds up to 80mph or sitting still. Was kinda proud of that one. It also had a CAC and combustion air had to be piped in from several cars ahead.

Can't win races with a hot engine. Changed the radiator size to a 36" x 19" x 3".

I was trying pretty hard to keep all the parts in the car below the mid-rail, but things just didn't work out that way. Moving the radiator up over the mid-rail should eliminate the chance of overheating.

I wasn't going to settle for allowing that radiator to block my vision when I want to look to the right.

With the radiator in the position it's in now, the passenger side of the radiator may get some sort of plexi-glass to help funnel the air, and still be able to see through it.

A lot of stuff still to go through. I may be looking at maximizing the size of the fuel cell now.

radiator 10.jpg

radiator 11.jpg

radiator 12.jpg

radiator 13.jpg

radiator 14.jpg

radiator 15.jpg

radiator 16.jpg

radiator 17.jpg

radiator 18.jpg

radiator 19.jpg

You can avoid 90% of these problems if you go full electric.

Back