Burning Money

Scottal

I finished up my M&M party wagon around September this year which left me with my old clapped out turbo buggy still completely intact. The question is... what to do with it? Ive been studying werock for a couple of years now and am a rock crawler at heart. That being said, I have decided to tear down old faithful, take most of the parts, sell the others I dont need, and build a small rear steer werock/trail buggy. Keep in mind, this is going to be a budget deal (if there even is such a thing). Currently looking at keeping the turbo big block propane 22r, lp60, and using the super shave 14b for rear steer. All kingpin parts because its what I have the most of. Looking at aw4 and atlas 5:1 behind the turbo big block. Will most likely end up with one of those JHF goat built kit car chassis's. I thought this would be a good place to document the build and get some opinions along the way. Go ahead and flame away :rockon:

Pictures of old buggy for reference… 😬😬

Attachments

• 72758108-18B6-47A6-8B8F-9C20953E6087.jpeg
    72758108-18B6-47A6-8B8F-9C20953E6087.jpeg
    165.2 KB · Views: 275
  • 086C2005-D3E7-4BDE-9681-6C39BEBCC295.jpeg
    086C2005-D3E7-4BDE-9681-6C39BEBCC295.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 292
  • C65DA2C7-46F0-4656-961C-1EF85031B622.jpeg
    C65DA2C7-46F0-4656-961C-1EF85031B622.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 279
  • A68C2179-4EA0-4193-AB3D-8B9082290B21.jpeg
    A68C2179-4EA0-4193-AB3D-8B9082290B21.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 291
I finished up my M&M party wagon around September this year which left me with my old clapped out turbo buggy still completely intact. The question is... what to do with it? Ive been studying werock for a couple of years now and am a rock crawler at heart. That being said, I have decided to tear down old faithful, take most of the parts, sell the others I dont need, and build a small rear steer werock/trail buggy. Keep in mind, this is going to be a budget deal (if there even is such a thing). Currently looking at keeping the turbo big block propane 22r, lp60, and using the super shave 14b for rear steer. All kingpin parts because its what I have the most of. Looking at aw4 and atlas 5:1 behind the turbo big block. Will most likely end up with one of those JHF goat built kit car chassis's. I thought this would be a good place to document the build and get some opinions along the way. Go ahead and flame away :rockon:
In my best Tony Bolton impression : "Can't hide money" !

Looking forward to seeing this new whip of yours rolling.

I love everything about where this is headed. I have "built" so many JHF/GoatBuilt chassis cars in my head, and slapped a few shopping carts together on the website just to see what it would make my wallet feel like. Can't wait to see where this ends up.

I love everything about where this is headed. I have "built" so many JHF/GoatBuilt chassis cars in my head, and slapped a few shopping carts together on the website just to see what it would make my wallet feel like. Can't wait to see where this ends up.
They are a great deal for what you get as compared to building ground up or having somebody build a chassis identical to them.

Anybody got opinions on axle wms? Thinking about 65" front 64" rear right now. Basically just cutting the long side of the LP60 down and cutting the 14b in the right place for C's. Also thinking about shaving the bottom of the 60 off right before the point of having to machine the ring gear. I have a junk 60 housing ill test with.

They are a great deal for what you get as compared to building ground up or having somebody build a chassis identical to them.

Anybody got opinions on axle wms? Thinking about 65" front 64" rear right now. Basically just cutting the long side of the LP60 down and cutting the 14b in the right place for C's. Also thinking about shaving the bottom of the 60 off right before the point of having to machine the ring gear. I have a junk 60 housing ill test with.
I think that’s what PJ did when my axles were originally built.

I’ve got a high pinion 99-04 60 front you could use to play with. Still use your kingpin stuff and get a high pinion driver or passenger drop with some work.

I’ve got a high pinion 99-04 60 front you could use to play with. Still use your kingpin stuff and get a high pinion driver or passenger drop with some work.
I’ve got a 05up center I’ve though about using. But I don’t want to totally retube or deal with adapting the 05up large tube to the small old style 60 tube right now. Plus it would be more money for gears and spool again which my LP60 already has.
I haven’t completely ruled it out yet though.

I’ve got a 05up center I’ve though about using. But I don’t want to totally retube or deal with adapting the 05up large tube to the small old style 60 tube right now. Plus it would be more money for gears and spool again which my LP60 already has.
I haven’t completely ruled it out yet though.
99-04 are a bit smaller tubes. 😁

Little update here... making a 20+ hour round trip to Maryland Saturday to pick up a JHF Goatbuilt kit. It is complete kit except for lower link brackets and hood/grill. Getting a pretty dang good deal or wouldnt be making the terrible trip up there. Getting closer to tearing the old buggy apart, and have the dual yota cases sold already. Also thinking about changing directions on the motor/ trans setup for this due to figuring out some stand alone setup for the big block 22r. Was kinda leaning towards going the Holley sniper route due to price and simplicity but after doing a bunch of reading and friends with experience with it that have actually had it in a buggy and not just a hotrod, it honestly sounds like a shitty idea due to constant problems. The simple fix is LS and forget about it which is cost effective for the performance. Anybody have experience with standalone on something like a 22r that wasnt just stupid expensive?

Hope you make it home in time! :beer:

NC already has enough bro trucks to make up for the rest of the southeast... not sure it could handle the overwhelming gayness from tony's mustang also.

There may have been a tear shed tearing this thing apart but I’m getting closer. Everything is out but axles and shocks. Will have those out and chassis will be forsale by end of next week. Cleaning up axles, narrowing them, and rear steer 14b coming next.

Attachments

• FE74B67B-CBC4-4083-8EB8-8E17B3283815.jpeg
    FE74B67B-CBC4-4083-8EB8-8E17B3283815.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 205
Propane and a small turbo. Stand-alone is about 3 wires when it’s done.

Thanks for buying that chassis so I would quit thinking about dumping all of my CYJ parts into it.
This. Propane is so easy in terms of wiring and plumbing.

This. Propane is so easy in terms of wiring and plumbing.
It is very easy but I am pretty well tired of carrying propane bottles and changing them due to doing it for 10 years. If I can make the draw through set up work right, then I'll leave it propane. If not, guess I will explore other options.

Picked up an AW4 for $100 yesterday, and a friend has all the other auto pieces from an 80s model truck to finish that puzzle. Basically at the point of starting the chassis at some point, narrowing axles and making the super shave 14b a steer axle, and getting enough money to order a 5:1 atlas so that the forty eleven week lead time can go ahead and start. Im going to start cutting axles pretty soon. Planning on tearing the go fast buggy down for sandblast and paint after the end all be all windrock ride April fools weekend, then starting on this chassis.

The party wagon is tore down and off to powder coat. Man it really sucked tearing that thing down when it was basically perfect working order other than needing paint minus finding a few things that needed attention. Buggy has been used for 6 hard months now and I am really satisfied with the performance of everything on it but it needs a bigger radiator for summer time. For the time being, I am going to try to compensate by not running a hood for the warm weather months and see what that does. I have enough room to go to a 28" wide radiator over the 26" wide without cutting or refabricating anything. Problem is, it still may not be enough so may end up having to redo top mounts to squeeze a 17-18" tall one in it over the 16", time will tell. The uniballs in the TMR wobble stops had minor play but the bushings were still in perfect condition. Have a few 1.25" heims already wore out also... what are yall using for heims? These generic ones from barnes/ruffstuff aint cutting it. The exhaust flex joint was blew out like my buddies sister after a bad friday night cause it was cheap and the added belly pan crossmember was bend up into the trans pan. Minor details but had to fix them. The last thing to note was the orbital acts funny and bypasses itself when in a bind so putting my old buggy orbital on it this go round. Watch out for this when ordering from rockwell offroad or busted knuckle offroad on orbitals. The old 6.0 is getting 243 heads, BTR stage 2 cam, new lifters, oil pump, etc so I might have enough hp to match what my old turbo 22r was putting out now. Buggy will be back hopefully friday and will update as I put it back together.

Back