Сonverter recommendations

SciomSyzygy

Destroyed torque converter in my buggy. Had transmission rebuilt and wanted a higher stall. Used a 6 cylinder converter. It’s still too tight. Engine pushes thru the brakes when I’m on some rocks trying to crawl back and forth. This is compounded by engine computer that won’t let it idle slow under load so I have to use neutral a lot and bump reverse or drive. I called TCI for advice for a 2000 stall. I now have a 1700 stall. They recommended a 2200 to 2400. Book calls it 1000 over stock. Wouldn’t that be 2500? It’s lot of work changing it out so I want to get it right. Engine is crate 502 with turbo 400,Atlas 3:8,diffs are 5:13 ,43” tires on 3800 lbs. I got enough motor that I should not have to be reving high but I want it to be smoother.

Absolutely. Custom grind cams and custom tailored torque converters are always worth it in the end!

Not to go against Jody but whatever ptc sends you will be wrong for the application. Basically every single time. If you want something badass call Yank. Or somebody like Fritts transmission in KY and order through them.

Call PTC and have if built for you. The more accurate info you can provide the better the product will be tailored for you.

Weight, axle ratio, tire size , tcase ratio, engine displacement, all the cam specs(cam card) etc.

Best thing we’ve ever done.

We have nearly the exact same setup. Zz502, t400, 3.8 atlas, 5.13s, 43s, 3987 lbs with tools, fuel, and cooler ready to ride.

Pushed thru the brakes at idle in low range. Aftermarket off the shelf converters wasted rpm via heat, stock type stuff wasn’t any better.

PTC got us the perfect combo to not push thru brakes in low range, but not waste any torque by flaring/flashing higher rpm when not needed with the 502. Same goes for heat input into trans.

Not to go against Jody but whatever ptc sends you will be wrong for the application. Basically every single time. If you want something badass call Yank. Or somebody like Fritts transmission in KY and order through them.
I respectfully flick a booger in your general direction :flipoff2: (you're still a hero in my eyes)
Fritts is over 2 months past my ready date and still no C6.
Yank builds a great converter too. No doubt.

Y’all on here arguing about something over a spam bot lol 😂

But you have to admit, as far as spambot posts go this one was pretty good.

Duane

I respectfully flick a booger in your general direction :flipoff2: (you're still a hero in my eyes)
Fritts is over 2 months past my ready date and still no C6.
Yank builds a great converter too. No doubt.
My whole problem with ptc is that I havent talked to a single person trail riding on their converters that it wasnt wrong the first time or multiple times. These people probably exist but :dumbass:. Seems to be a nonissue for race bouncers though.

Back