01 PSD low power/boost/high EGT's

kc4x4

Max boost of about 10psi towing, bogs way down on hills and 1100+ EGT's

Edge JUICE w/ attitude on tow mode, 4" MBRP, Intake, Wicked wheel.

SES light came on twice and went off. Code is for ICP

Would a boost leak cause all this? Where is the best place to get new boots? Dieselsite?

Need more info?

I know about Dieselstop but wanted to ask people I know first.

Studnuts, you reading this??

ICP- is Injection Control Pressure, Most likely the valve on the back of the HPOP, if it is an intermintent SES light, the valve sticks and causes odd pressures to the injectors usually only when your in the throttle. They are fairly pricey, the only way i know is to check it is by watching the actual pressure on a scanner, A scanner would also tell your if the Injection control pressure sensor is in range and reading accuratlly, it could also be a cause of your problem.

ICP- is Injection Control Pressure, Most likely the valve on the back of the HPOP, if it is an intermintent SES light, the valve sticks and causes odd pressures to the injectors usually only when your in the throttle. They are fairly pricey, the only way i know is to check it is by watching the actual pressure on a scanner, A scanner would also tell your if the Injection control pressure sensor is in range and reading accuratlly, it could also be a cause of your problem.

Thanks Chase, I know what the icp is and I have a new replacement. and yea it only happens when on the throttle. Gonna change it. Would that cause low boost though? :beer:

Yea, thanks, Thats really helpfull info...:fuck-you:

That has all the classic symptoms of a boost leak, but Chase seems to be familiar with this scenario..

as for boost, there is a flap(exhuast backpressure buterfly bellcrank) that restricts the turbo from spooling and forces the exhuast into the intake to help it warm up make sure the flap is completely open. there is a stop on the turbo and the lever at the bottom of the flap should be fully on the stop going towards the passneger side. Your exhuast backpressure sensor could be to blame for this if it is fact closed or partially closed or the pressure line to the sensor on the timing cover could be clogged with smoot giving it an inaccurate reading. also check your smoot trap for being clogged up in fact do away with it or gut it. booth of these will cause low boost and high EGT's, i would think a boost leak would not cause high EGT's. also check your airfilter

If you got the ICP valve it should have been about 300 bones and sits on the driverside of the the fuel bowl and mounts into the bottom of the hpop.

Got any innercooler hoses that have blown off? If so clean the surfaces with brake clean and spray the adhesion surfaces inside the new hoses with hairspray (aerosol whiterain). Use new clamps. I sell the hoses here at work. If no hoses are off or leaking look at Cperry's diag. He is probably on the right track. I sell parts. He is a tech.

as for boost, there is a flap(exhuast backpressure buterfly bellcrank) that restricts the turbo from spooling and forces the exhuast into the intake to help it warm up make sure the flap is completely open. there is a stop on the turbo and the lever at the bottom of the flap should be fully on the stop going towards the passneger side. Your exhuast backpressure sensor could be to blame for this if it is fact closed or partially closed or the pressure line to the sensor on the timing cover could be clogged with smoot giving it an inaccurate reading. also check your smoot trap for being clogged up in fact do away with it or gut it. booth of these will cause low boost and high EGT's, i would think a boost leak would not cause high EGT's. also check your airfilter
If you got the ICP valve it should have been about 300 bones and sits on the driverside of the the fuel bowl and mounts into the bottom of the hpop.

Thanks Chase, Thats the kind of info I'm looking for.
Report back later......... KC

i would think a boost leak would not cause high EGT's.

Absolutely it will cause very high EGTs. other than that Chase is right on the money. Build you a cheap boost leak detector or borrow mine.

I had problems with the hose clamps comeing lose on my 02 causing a boost leak. You could hear the leak on a hard climb like 421 north and it would blow alot of black smoke when it was doing it.
I also sent you a pm Kevin.
Sam(slim)

Yeah, a boost leak will cause very high EGTs and it will also cause a shit ton of black smoke. You certainly have an "over fuel and under boost" issue, be it electronic or mechanical. If you can't get it figured out I'll call a buddy at the Ford store for ya.

My thoughts are a small boost leak will not raise EGT's signifactly unless you are way overfueling anyway, a large boost leak to cause high EGT's would be obvious as you could hear it blowing off.A stock PSD turbo can handle the small boost leaks. Don't PSD's run in the 20's boost range meaning he would be loosing at least ten lbs of boost out of somewhere if it was a hose i would think it would have blown offf already, anything else i think would be obvious by sound. Something is stoping the turbo from spooling all the way and delivering all the boost needed. just my 2 cents

Just sold a full set of hoses for the same problem on a 6.0.

How much for a set for 7.3?

I had problems with the hose clamps comeing lose on my 02 causing a boost leak. You could hear the leak on a hard climb like 421 north and it would blow alot of black smoke when it was doing it.
I also sent you a pm Kevin.
Sam(slim)

Yeah, a boost leak will cause very high EGTs and it will also cause a shit ton of black smoke. You certainly have an "over fuel and under boost" issue, be it electronic or mechanical. If you can't get it figured out I'll call a buddy at the Ford store for ya.

George was following me and he said no smoke at all

Didn't have any time this afternoon but, will check things out tomorrow. Thanks to all...KC

Aaaahhhh... no smoke would point me to an underfueling / timing issue... Which sounds like it could be the ICP AZM XYZ thing you mentioned?

Back