'02 CTD Another new clutch=more problems

GONOVRIT

blue collar brotherhood
What causes a high engagement area? My new clutch is engaging right at the very top of the pedal.

Let me give you a little history here.

Stock clutch=135k starting slipping a little under full power and decided I should go ahead and replace it(kinda regretting this now). The flywheel had a few hot spots on it but the clutch actually looked fine.

Clutch #2= Rated for 450hp/900tq Started slipping bad under full power, pedal was getting higher and decided to take a look at it at with 4k on it. Clutch was burnt up! Looked horrible compared to my stock clutch. Cannot understand how/why this happened.

Clutch #3= I went with a Ceramic/Kevlar Button Clutch(under recomendation of the mfg) and upgraded to the HD slave/master cylinder. I now have close to 1K on this and the engagement area is at the very top of the pedal(exactly where it was when it was first installed). Clutch is NOT slipping.

I'm 99.99% positive installion was correctly done both times and pictures were takin for proof. Break in periods have been done as specified. Flywheel was turned and the arm was/is in the right way. I drive this truck very little and it normally has a trailer behind it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just give the truck to me and you can get a new one. :flipoff2:

Its a hydraulic clutch so there should be no adjustment. I've got a couple idea's, one there is something holding the slave push rod further in the slave than used to be. There could be something holding up pressure in the hydrulic lines, long shot put possible.?

Does the pedal go all the way to the floor normally? can you feel where the slave overcomes the spring pressure of the pressure plate? This seems odd....very odd. Also this is a standard clucth, not a self adjusting clutch, right? I'll think on it overnight and see if I can come up with anything else.
Todd

Have you contacted the clutch manufacturer? What brand is the clutch? Also check and make sure you got the correct hydraulic upgrade. 98-02 uses a different hydro assembly than 03+.

Its a hydraulic clutch so there should be no adjustment. I've got a couple idea's, one there is something holding the slave push rod further in the slave than used to be. There could be something holding up pressure in the hydrulic lines, long shot put possible.?

Does the pedal go all the way to the floor normally? can you feel where the slave overcomes the spring pressure of the pressure plate? This seems odd....very odd. Also this is a standard clucth, not a self adjusting clutch, right? I'll think on it overnight and see if I can come up with anything else.
Todd

What I was referring to was the linkage from the pedal to the clutch master cylinder. I had this problem on my Toyota and I had to adjust the linkage out when I put the new master in. It was causing the clutch to not engage

Yeah, I'm going to need you to send those injectors back. mmkay? Try posting this on competition diesel or dtr. Maybe it's just a shitty clutch for driving around with?

Can you adjust the linkage at the pedal?
No.
Its a hydraulic clutch so there should be no adjustment. I've got a couple idea's, one there is something holding the slave push rod further in the slave than used to be. There could be something holding up pressure in the hydrulic lines, long shot put possible.? Don't think so
Does the pedal go all the way to the floor normally? Yescan you feel where the slave overcomes the spring pressure of the pressure plate? Not reallyThis seems odd....very odd. Also this is a standard clucth, not a self adjusting clutch, right?Correct I'll think on it overnight and see if I can come up with anything else.
Todd
Have you contacted the clutch manufacturer? What brand is the clutch? Also check and make sure you got the correct hydraulic upgrade. 98-02 uses a different hydro assembly than 03+.
Been talking to them alot but not since the new one has been installed. I don't want to give the exact brand but I'll say its either a SB or a Valair and they did warranty the 1st clutch. We talked at length about the hydro assembley so I'm quite sure they sent me the correct one. That was something I just decided to do because I hate the way the clutch feels and was hoping that might cure it.
Yeah, I'm going to need you to send those injectors back. mmkay? Try posting this on competition diesel or dtr. Maybe it's just a shitty clutch for driving around with?
You're not getting them back:fuck-you: I posted it on the DTR but nothing remotely close to an answer to my original question yet:rolleyes:

May have found my answer on the DTR. Still not sure why Clutch #2 was high or why it burnt up but oh well. If I have more problems out of this I may just steal Braxtons built auto and roll out:lol:

The engagement point being so high is do to it being a single disc button clutch. Clutch disc's that use a full lining on a fin type clutch has a wave in the fin called marcel, it is like a cushion. So as the pressure plate re tracks and applies the clutch material moves with it and there for lowers the engagement point. With a button clutch you do not have this feature so as the pressure plate comes away from the disc it is immediate and there for the time it takes to reapply takes a while and brings the engagement point to the top of the pedal.

Peter
Toll Free # 1-800-988-4345

cool, thanks for posting your findings!

When did you change your name to Peter?
:rolleyes:Shoulda specified, that was a quote from the DTR board. "Peter" is the person quoted from South Bend.

Furthermore, I would advise everyone NOT to EVER get a button clutch. I knew better but was convinced by the seller that this would be the best option. This has become a very expensive and annoying mistake that will cost me alot more money over time, learn from me! I've had such bad luck with vehicles in the past 6mos I'm ready to sell all of them and start walking everywhere and riding my quad alot more:poop:

and everybody said i was nuts for getting an auto!

gonna have it done for the weekend?

and everybody said i was nuts for getting an auto!
gonna have it done for the weekend?
Truck is fine, Its just not very enjoyable to drive now. As for the jeep, I had a mishap installing the new tranny tonite and its not looking good. Probably end up takin the quad to PA to beat the hell out of it.

Come to URE
Watching other people have fun while my junk is in the shop broke for the 3rd month straight OR riding wide ass open for 8hrs a day through the Mtns without crossing the same trail twice? Eh, thats not hard to figure out:flipoff2:
If stuff somehow turns around tommorrow with the crawlah I'll be in Harlan.

Watching other people have fun while my junk is in the shop broke for the 3rd month straight OR riding wide ass open for 8hrs a day through the Mtns without crossing the same trail twice? Eh, thats not hard to figure out:flipoff2:
If stuff somehow turns around tommorrow with the crawlah I'll be in Harlan.

Driving 1.5 hours on a shitty clutch > driving 9 hours on a shitty clutch. :flipoff2: What went wrong on the heep?

Back