02 cummins engine flutter

superpile

Probably running in circles
Ok so I finally bought a chip. The Quadzilla adj unit. My truck has 4 inch exhaust, the big semi size filter, and the j hook on the turbo. It is an auto with 82k on it and the motor. I have a studer at about 1/4 throttle in overdrive around 45 mph to 60 mph. I can give it more throttle and it disappears or simply turn the chip off and it disappears but unfortually it is there in any chip setting, economy, tow, race. Is this normal? I spend most of my time economy and haven't even tried to tow anything yet. Quadzilla seems to think I'm crusin at a throttle and speed where the chip is coming in and out due to engine demands and need to just live with it or go to a bigger tire. I love the extra power and mpg but find it kinda annoying on the back roads. Any input?

Don't shift to OD until 50+.. Your transmission will thank you.

But, you shouldn't have the issue you're experiencing.

you sure its not the tranny? Mine on occasion does a really strande "flutter" in certain situations.

how the formula?

Don't shift to OD until 50+.. Your transmission will thank you.
But, you shouldn't have the issue you're experiencing.

Yea I generally wait to turn the OD on till around 45-50 mph. I just wonder if it isn't the tranny not liking the extra power at that speed, cause the motor is around 1600 rpm so it is in that torque band.

you sure its not the tranny? Mine on occasion does a really strande "flutter" in certain situations.
how the formula?

Mine flutter is similar to yours Dave, I recall yours doing something similar but wrote yours off to you mucking around in the shift points and such with the bully dog programmer. I just don't know what to do. I love the extra pwr but don't like the flutter. The ftoy is coming slowly, got the seats and pedals in.

get rid of the quad...worst box EVER MADE...ive i know it seems like a good band for the buck...vulcan perfromance sells the 120 hp chip for $319..seems like a good deal until you drive with it and find that you have a miss in the engine or the TC locking and unlocking randomly. the quad box has bad reviews on every dodge froum ive read...if you want the best get an edge comp, or juice..youll never look back. the juice has everything quad has Plus alot more. also look into a smarty...its a good kick in the pants power box as well. just no shift on the fly like the edge.

get rid of the quad...worst box EVER MADE...ive i know it seems like a good band for the buck...vulcan perfromance sells the 120 hp chip for $319..seems like a good deal until you drive with it and find that you have a miss in the engine or the TC locking and unlocking randomly. the quad box has bad reviews on every dodge froum ive read...if you want the best get an edge comp, or juice..youll never look back. the juice has everything quad has Plus alot more. also look into a smarty...its a good kick in the pants power box as well. just no shift on the fly like the edge.

Thats funny, from everything i've ever read on a diesel forum, the Quad boxes get some of the best reviews of anything.:confused:

Thats funny, from everything i've ever read on a diesel forum, the Quad boxes get some of the best reviews of anything.:confused:

Yeah everything I've read edge products have gone into the crapper since msd/holley bought them out, to much smoke, boxes cutting out, not working out of the factory box, poor tech service. Quadzilla has more positive feedback than any other box. I've seen the smarty in action and was not really impressed, really really not impressed when I found the price out. I mine as well buy a superchips or hypertech programmer for half the price and get all the perks of the smarty. Bottom line is I looked into this and road in as many trucks as I could with different boxes, and liked the reviews, pwr, economy, and price of the quad products best. I think the problem is just in the tranny, it is gettin weak or not got enough pressure to hold the clutches together at that rpm. I'm gonna get a local shop to check it out, cause it started fluttering again last night and this morning.
appy 4th to all.
:beer: to service men and women.

I like my smarty but also have a 5spd and like how it makes more power really low but it can be kinda smokey till you get use to driving with it. Only issue have had out of it was when brother put it on his and tried to use his cruise because it makes the throttle so sensitive the cruise tends to over react and surges a lil on the higher power settings.

Back