$1000 to spend

deebo

I was thinking of getting a Warn 9.5ti for $871. Or this http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212170

I drice an almost stock 97 Sahara on 33' Goodyear mt with a 6" lift. I have had the Jeep for a few months and I do plan on taking it on trails, right now I am just a rookie. I plan on adding a ford 8.8 in the rear and locking it some day but that is not a priority. I also plan on adding a oil/engine skid plates in the future as well.

Which should be my first purchase? Currently My spare tire is 30" and will need to be replaced so a tire carier is near the top of my list along with a winch.

Any sudgestions comments?

Peter

winches will get yourself out of some sticky situations
Lockers will put you in them. if you can afford the winch go ahead and get it and hopefully you wont need to use it anytime soon. Also instead of the ford 8.8 you might consider a ford 9" bigger ring gear, removable third member and full width, but only if you consider doing the front at some point in time too so you will have a matching lug pattern.

Ryan

You can get a winch for less than that. Warn has several winches that are perfect for a TJ for less than the 9.5ti. Get one of those, buy a full size spare and save the rest for a rear axle upgrade.

Definatly go for the winch. No matter how badass somebody's rig is...at some point everybody is either grateful they have one..or wishing they did.

Get the WARN 8000, I had it on my Liberty and it did fine. Get a spare and then some skids, because if you get your tranny hung on that rock and rip the pan open, that winch really wont do you a whole lot of good getting out :)

cheeper warn winch (8000) dont forget you need a winch plate too ! add in a snach block and a tree saver.

Buy a used full size spare (33 even close enough) and with the rest id start saving for a deal on an axle or gear etc. and start collecting parts for the next upgrade...

1k doesnt go far with new parts.

Get the winch if you off road by yourself or don't have any friends with one. It does give you some piece of mind to try bigger lines on the trails. If you go with a lot of buddies, spend it on some drivetrain.

Thanks for the sudgestions I beleive that I am going with the bumper/rock rails/tire carrer combo.

The Warn m8000 is prety go eh?

I have the 9.5ti and it was well worth the extra money to me its nice having the extra power

kinda like jdubb said... a winch is like having a built in friend to pull you out. as for the spare tire carrier, stick with your current setup. a 30" spare will work well enough along side 33's. if you're really interested in building a jeep, go for the 8.8 with a locker. i'm betting that since you're considering an 8.8, you must have a 35 now. if you want to go to bigger tires (or a locker) down the road you'll need a stronger axle.

TheGeneral said:
Definatly go for the winch. No matter how badass somebody's rig is...at some point everybody is either grateful they have one..or wishing they did.

it all comes down to whether or not you want to wheel or be towed (again the winch is just a built in tow strap). in my opinion, build the jeep the best you can and wheel with friends. when you can't build anymore... buy a winch.

Back