1970 ford timing

Papa_Jon

non speller
Ok boss man had a 1970 ford towed in. Truck has 60k on it been sitting in his dads shop for 10 plus years i had to tear it all the way down and redo everything. new gaskets everywhere new intake carb, dist,coil evrything. Ok here is my problem the new cap is not marked to tell me where number is so i assumed it same place all ford 302 are. drop the dist down ran wires to coil and new electric dist. Im getting spark from coil to cap but its not trying to fire. been so long since i work on something this old im sure im forgetting something small any ideas

Take the spark plug out for the number one cylinder, put long screw driver in spark plug hole, turn motor over by hand until the piston for #1 is at the top, install distributor with the rotor pointing at the electroid for the number one cylinder, position the rest of the wires as to the firing order of the motor, make sure you note which way the distributor turns.
If you had a bad coil you would still get a weak spark out of the wires if it's getting spark to the distibutor cap.

What is the point gap set at? I normally start at .013.

IIRC ford is :

vs a GM

Also there is no "#1 cap position".... I think this is what bigwoody was getting at...get #1 to TDC and then figure out where the rotor button is pointing....that just became #1....then follow the firing order around the cap

Just throwing it out there, are you sure you're getting fuel? It don't take much spark to fire these 302's. If you're getting any spark to the plugs at all, then my bet is it's a fuel issue?

IIRC ford is :

vs a GM

Also there is no "#1 cap position".... I think this is what bigwoody was getting at...get #1 to TDC and then figure out where the rotor button is pointing....that just became #1....then follow the firing order around the cap
Update: If I'm understanding you right just drop the dizzy down then bring it anound to TDC and use where ever its pointing at as #1.
did that still no spark switch out dizzy and coil again same thing.

Take the spark plug out for the number one cylinder, put long screw driver in spark plug hole, turn motor over by hand until the piston for #1 is at the top, install distributor with the rotor pointing at the electroid for the number one cylinder, position the rest of the wires as to the firing order of the motor, make sure you note which way the distributor turns.
If you had a bad coil you would still get a weak spark out of the wires if it's getting spark to the distibutor cap.
Firing order is dead on. What would cause no fire? I notice the coil is getting super hot

This maybe a shot in the dark and my not make good sense but when I replaced my coil I had the option of two different coils. I can't remember exactly the name of the piece mounted on the fire wall in the wires leading to the coil maybe it's called a resistor or something like that. The coil has to match that whether the truck has that or not. If this is a possibility I'll find out exactly what that thing is called and let you know. And if it has that part in line maybe it's bad.

This maybe a shot in the dark and my not make good sense but when I replaced my coil I had the option of two different coils. I can't remember exactly the name of the piece mounted on the fire wall in the wires leading to the coil maybe it's called a resistor or something like that. The coil has to match that whether the truck has that or not. If this is a possibility I'll find out exactly what that thing is called and let you know. And if it has that part in line maybe it's bad.
Ceramic ballast resistor

Back