1973 Ford Ranger?

TeamSpatula

howdy. My father in law has a 1973 (possibly 74) 2 wd Ranger, and it's either an F100 or F150. It has a 3 speed with the 390 V8. I'm sure it has enough engine to pull a trailer with a vehicle on it, but what about the axles/tranny/brakes? Isn't that pretty much the difference between it and the f250s or f350s of that era?
Just wondering if this thing will work at all...that is if I can get him to let me borrow it.
:)
Thanks,

I had a 73 ford truck with a 390 . It towed and stopped just fine. Only problem was it got 5 miles to the gallon while towing my jeep.

Big difference between a 2wd F100 and F250/350s of that era, just like today. Heavier frame, axle, springs for one. My grandfather had several F250 camper specials and an F350. Both of those could haul some heavy trailers.

I believe the 'Ranger' is a trim level. Our '75 Bronco had a Ranger interior.

The 3spd manuals of the era were gearing pretty high, pretty hard to get pulled out with a decently loaded trailer on an incline. Drum brakes too. I used some old ones like that back when I was younger and didn't have anything else and am damn glad those days are over.

ranger is a trim level. Check out www.fordification.com
They are focused on 67-72 fords but there is a great wealth of information on the site about the dentsides (73-up) as well.
great site! And it turns out it is a 1972 anyway, so that's very helpful...Thanks for all the replies - it looks like I should just keep looking, but I couldn't help getting excited about the possibility of FREE...
:)
This is what I really want, except with a long bed - crew cab 4x4 F250 or 350, 73-79.
ai2.ebayimg.com_08_i_000_c3_af_775f_12.JPG

I'm a Ford truck nut. I drive a 76 F-100 2wd as a DD. And I've worked the living dog :poop: out of mine.
73 was first year of so called "dent sides" and came stock with disk brakes only on 2wd's for some crazy lunacy Ford idea? I am almost ashamed to say that this has been my hauler for 12 years now only buying time for something bigger. And mine only has a 302 and 3 speed as well. The swapped in 3.5 gears in the 31 splined 9" rear is the only saving grace. 3.7 would be gear of choice but DEFINATELY 31 splines. 302 equipped trucks only had 28 stock. That 360 stock F100 has 31's.
Definately not the tow truck of choiceBut it has more to do with who's driving it and how comfortable and with how much experience with that caliber of a truck than anything. LOL For my 302 isn't very pretty going up hills nor is the single piston front brakes going down hills. But the thickness of a healthy stock frame is more than adequate for I have proof with pics of my truck after hauling 2.4 tons of gravel for 15 miles with the frame resting on the rear end.
I have added extra springs in the rear and have modified the 302 heavily to have enough torque on the top end to keep the load rolling. Take off's would be a bitch without the HP clutch as well. That 360 is more of a low grunter and would probably make you laugh at my 302. Anythings possible and it WILL get the job done.
Only thing to look for is that Power brakes and Power steering were options for that year but 90% or better that I've seen were fully equipped. The trim package of Ranger only meant it had ranger badges on the side with a particular side chrome moulding and interior trim. Had nothing to do with the performance.
I've towed twice my weight with a gooseneck but there again, 45 miles an hour and a headache afterwards for worrying mine and everybody else's every move. Just take your time and it will do fine.
The toploader 3 speed is a brother to the famous Ford toploader 4 speed and you can drain the oil and fill with water and it'll still get you there. At least mine has hung through enough abuse for me to back my luck with one? But the ratios suck...
Also got to be careful if it's a column shift if you're not used to them. They'll lock up on you every time in the most rediculously embarrassing traffic situations. These trucks were ahead of their time but not nearly up to today's standards...

Back