1985 Toyota 4x4 specs

mattfra

Last week I picked up an 1985 Toyota 4x4 ExtraCab, 22RE EFI, Auto trans, solid axle (of course) with a very clean body. I found it on autotrader.com and bought it from a guy over in Troutman.
A couple quick questions: What gear ratios were available on these axles? What is the designation of this tranny? (A340 or ?)
It runs very good. The tranny, transfer case and axles seem to be in good shape. It handles great, rides like a small 4x4 truck should and gets decent fuel mileage.
I'd like to learn as much as I can about this one.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Matt

If the truck came with the auto from the factory, the diffs should be geared at 4.30:1.

R.K.

Ahhh. Thanks. I've seen that site pop up on a google search but I never followed it and checked it out. I will do so now.

Thanks.

a340h tranny, 4.30 gears as was said. sounds like a really nice truck!

Specs

Thanks for the reply Flipper.
Yes, it's pretty clean. The guy that was selling it had calls from as far away as New Jersey. He said hearts were broken when I bought it. I was the first one to go out an look at it. I will try to post pics soon.
Matt

what did you give for it?
The auto aren't bad but usually puke at about 200k which is better than most any other auto tranny but this has given them a bad name. And of course they rob power. is it fuel injected? What size tires?

'85 Toyota 4x4

To be honest I gave $3k for it. It's cleaner than most last 80's and early 90's trucks I've seen around here for less $$$. The auto trans shifts great, kinda firm. The truck has 136k miles. The truck is an EFI. Acceleration is not as great as a straight drive, but not bad considering it's a small 4 banger with 4.30 geared differentials (good for 21mpg combined city/hwy). Right now it has some trashy P235/75 Cooper Radial Discoverer AST tires.

I'm having custom spacers made by Motorsport-Tech.com to put my 31x10.5-15 tires and 15x8 Nitro-02 Wheels on it. (My wheels had a 30mm offset and hit the tie rod ends).
:driver:

Matt

Back